GDT: Winnipeg @ Toronto

Very simple- their running game was better, their passing was better, their receivers were better, their D-line wore down our O-line, their O-line blew out our D-line, and we were out-coached. From the last game it was obvious that the Bombers were vulnerable to power running up the middle and short passing game and the Argos took advantage of it. The Bombers were unable to tackle well or adjust to what Toronto was doing.

Two embarrassing losses in a row with a suspect defense and pop-gun offense.

Well, I said it in the preseason and my first two RB picks were for teams playing against us. Our D is very small, and very susceptible to the run, has been all year. It's built to handle the pass. When it's cold, the wind is blowing, and the footing is bad, wow - we'll give up 400 yards on the ground, you watch. 

But hey, still a far better team than last year. Don't forget, we only had 5 days rest PLUS Toronto is coming off a bye! Not that the schedule makers will know the record in advance but that's a setup to fail game if I ever seen one (I hope most of you were smart enough in the pickems' to take Toronto btw - easiest game of the week to call). Why would a 'bye' team play a team from a 5 day rest is beyond me, but it is what it is I guess. 

Worst thing - I took Ray in Fantasy Football no realizing until later it was his game against B.C. that counts - I kept him though 'cause B.C. craps the bed usually when they head out east - and I doubt Glenn can have two good games in a row. Ray can. Even on a short rest

I don't know why the general feeling around this forum this last week was that the Argos were just gonna go down easy.  They had extra time to prepare and after getting ripped apart by us week 1, they weren't about to let that happen again.  Sure their O has had limited targets with all those injuries, but it's not like Ray wouldn't find some chemistry eventually with a few guys.  The O-line is in need of some help for sure, Willy keeps taking the hits and while nearly every QB does, these are starting to get dangerous and if something doesn't happen to protect him better, he won't be making it through this season.  Keeping him healthy enough to play all the way through is vital to keeping the continuity here.

That being said, I'm hoping this little bit of rest period we got here will be a help to get some players like Nick Moore back in the lineup or somebody else to try and lengthen the weapons we got.  I'm also not so sure about keeping Romby Bryant around either.  Sure he probably won't fumble like that every game, but I don't feel as though he's on the big playmaking level he once was, hence why the Stampeders let him go.  Also, I know Watson started this game and scored early, but he seems to have been used limitedly most of the way after.

We got the awful als next, and given their level of dysfunction, this oughtta be a fairly easy win, but our stinkfest 3-15 team took two wins against their 8-10 team last year, and it wouldn't be impossible for them to steal one against us either.

Anyways, not pushing the panic button or anything, I think a win period will get the team back in better spirits, but they definitely need one now.

realviking, on 12 Aug 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

How many passes over 20 yards were attempted tonight by Winnipeg? Couldn't have been many. We need more balance there.

Well, those plays that take longer to develop seemed to be getting met with the Argos blitzes, O-line wasn't picking them up, sometimes from being outnumbered, this I assume had a few things to do with that.

Quick thoughts:

There are roster changes that need to happen, and already should have happened.  If this last longer, than that is on Walters for not finding better players and Osh for not dressing different ones.  Romby Bryant has done nothing but be a negative-effect player every game.  He is actively hurting our chances at winning,  Dress three Canadians at WR.  Yes, Moore should be back and that should mean Romby sits, but honestly its time to just send a message.  Two ridiculous penalties (though pretty sure one was just from bad reffing).  No after-the-catch ability.  Drops.  Blah.  

Howard is awful.  I have said that from Day One.  Now to be fair, he got gipped on his second 'shot to the head' call because I didn't see direct hand-to-head contact.  From one angle you could see the DL's head move to the side a bit but I didn't see enough to really blame Howard.  Still, he was a weak spot and needs to go.  There has to be someone better, and if not, then we have scouting problems.  Offensive line in general did better tonight I thought, but still struggled.  They've desperately got to figure this out.  I think January is going to get some blame after I re-watch.

Grigsby was the same old story.  Can't create anything on his own.  Can't figure out which blitz pickup is his.  Can't read plays correctly.  But hey, the end game numbers were decent and he scored so that means the media will proclaim we need more of him.  He's another guy who I think has a negative sum on the roster.  What he brings in the pass game is not enough to overcome the huge negative in the run game.

Defensively it was obvious to everyone that we got ran over.  Kuale is an underrated part of this defense.  We desperately need him in the middle and are a far weaker unit without him.  Wild got killed tonight.  I don't want to get too down on the defense for a few reasons.  Obviously, the short week killed.  So too did the Kuale injury.  And top it off with a lack of holding calls.  Get healthy and have fair officiating and I think that helps a bit.  There's no doubt its a weak spot, I just don't think its as huge as it was tonight.  The whole DL was getting held tonight.

I still think we are on the right track, but I want to and expect to see roster changes. We saw the positive impact of Stoudermire tonight.  Change isn't always bad.

Totally disagree on the Wild/Kuale thing...  I think Wild was nicked early in the game and we lost momentum playing Kuale regularly until he got back - need to rewatch it though

Cotton AND Grigsby are a waste of roster spots...  pick one and just go with him.

I really would look at Stoudemire at RB - has the burst we need.

I don't see what could possibly go wrong with giving Jarvis Jones a start at tackle. If he's somehow worse than Howard he doesn't deserve to be employed.

Does anyone think that we should give Neufeld a shot at tackle? I thought his play in the pre season was superior to anything we've gotten out of Knapp and Howard thus far.

I don't see what could possibly go wrong with giving Jarvis Jones a start at tackle. If he's somehow worse than Howard he doesn't deserve to be employed.

Does anyone think that we should give Neufeld a shot at tackle? I thought his play in the pre season was superior to anything we've gotten out of Knapp and Howard thus far.

Been clamouring for Neufeld to be at tackle since the preseason.

Don't be too quick to write off the ALS either. This game is shaping up between too inept offensive teams....each for their own reasons. But ALS defensively have been equally aggressive pressuring the QB. Now teams have the luxury of game video on teams and their weaknesses. The element of surprise is gone and game scheme and preparation is starting to make a difference.

Agree on Howard... We need to find our own dominant OT to bolster this O-line

Desperately need to add size to this defence... Move Wild back to WILL already, start Kromah at MAC and Keep Anderson as the mainstay at DT instead of Turner. Hopefuly we can get Bilukidi up here too.

I think we need a dominant pass rusher like a Hall or a Hunt type as well.

Very happy with the secondary and receivers when they are healthy. (which means no Bryant)

Need a RB... hurry up and find one already, Grigsby is actually frustrating me to the point of yelling at him through my TV... I look ridiculous when he runs the ball

Combine the brutally horrible one sided officiating, Marcel Bellefeuille's; 4 yard dump passes, bad play calling & Etcheverry's atrocious run defense & this is a game that angers me as a fan. Our linebackers barely weigh 200 lbs & we are getting killed with the run. What's the point of having quick linebackers if they are too small to fight off blockers & can't tackle? This is the defense I was afraid of when O'Shea hired Etch. As far as Bellefeuille's playcalling, I mean... First & ten we throw for 5.. Second & five we throw for 3??? Or we need 4 yards for a first down & we throw incomplete 50 yards downfield... Like WTH?? We did that the entire game. Why can't we throw mid range 15-25 yards?? As the game went on our OL played worse & worse. Howard is terrible. Then just to add the icing to the cake we have officials who deemed it there sworn duty to  give the Argos the win... This is when I hate the CFL & think it's a bush league after officiating like that. ****, I'm pissed off.