Rushing QB

Clarky

Reilly wasn't touched so he got up & ran another 8 yards. The Bomber defenders never finished on that entire play from the time he first got away in the pocket, to running downfield , to sliding head first untouched & then getting up & running for more yards. We looked tentative as hell on that play from start to finish. The Bombers didn't tackle & wrap up. We made Reilly look a lot better than he really is. The whole game was a **** show. 

If I were to pick 2 tings that absolutely killed us last night, It's horrid Offensive line play, and piss poor tackling.... You gotta wrap up a QB like Reily... no excuses

HAHA for sure.  I must have yelled that from my seat 5-6 times.  there were way too many weak tackle attempts in that game

I doen't matter if its a QB or Not when a player gives themselves up they are DOWN. Its different if they stumble or have to go down to catch or pickup a ball if they willingly go down they are DOWN.

Having given my 2 cents it was only 7 yards and it didn't effect the game at all.

I doen't matter if its a QB or Not when a player gives themselves up they are DOWN. Its different if they stumble or have to go down to catch or pickup a ball if they willingly go down they are DOWN.

Having given my 2 cents it was only 7 yards and it didn't effect the game at all.

That simply isn't the rule in the CFL though. That's just your opinion. If a QB slides head first, the play continues until he is touched....this happened in wpg a couple years ago where calvillo slide head first hit the ground and the ball popped out....no one had touched him so we recovered the fumble and it was ruled our ball, because AC slide head first meaning the play wasn't over until he was touched. I don't understand how people don't get it....head firts play on...feet first play off. end of story.

Three pages on this?  This is hardly the first time this has happened in a Bomber/CFL/NFL/any league where contact with the ground doesn't automatically end the play...game.

Now if the Bombers really feel this is an issue because of just how many ticky-tack penalties have been called so far this season, they should say as much when they make their weekly list of complaints call to Glenn Johnson.  If the CFL is trying to eliminate all dangerous and unnecessary contact with QBs, then all potential situations and outcomes should have clear guidelines for all players.

In the meantime, there was no whistle.  Play's not dead.

Three pages on this?  This is hardly the first time this has happened in a Bomber/CFL/NFL/any league where contact with the ground doesn't automatically end the play...game.

Now if the Bombers really feel this is an issue because of just how many ticky-tack penalties have been called so far this season, they should say as much when they make their weekly list of complaints call to Glenn Johnson.  If the CFL is trying to eliminate all dangerous and unnecessary contact with QBs, then all potential situations and outcomes should have clear guidelines for all players.

In the meantime, there was no whistle.  Play's not dead.

From the CFL Rulebook

• When a ball carrier is on the ground and, in the judgment of the official, is not

attempting to advance the ball, the official shall immediately declare the ball

dead.

So if a Player goes down on their own then are they not to be ruled Down ? Its the Officials call but if it was me and I saw a player going down on their own it suggests they are not trying to advance the ball !

I do agree that if no whistle the play is not dead but the argument the other side is making is the Offical should have ruled it dead because he gave himself up, as for AC a few years back he dove head first but lost the ball when he hit the ground ( so before the whisle )

It's not like Reilly slid on the ground head first, lay there for a couple of seconds, saw there was no whistle & got up & run again. He was down for only a split second, then got up & ran. It happened so quickly. The way I saw it, wasn't the ref's fault here. It was the Bomber defenders for not finishing the play as they hesitated. Of course, Reilly's going to get back up. 

I can just see the headlines if, when Reilly started to get up again, Kuale or Sears had laid him out, legally.

If they're going to protect the QB, then the play should have been whistled, if they're going to continue to treat him like a runner, which is fine, then there will be a lot of close calls, or worse for the QBs, ahead.

I can just see the headlines if, when Reilly started to get up again, Kuale or Sears had laid him out, legally.

If they're going to protect the QB, then the play should have been whistled, if they're going to continue to treat him like a runner, which is fine, then there will be a lot of close calls, or worse for the QBs, ahead.

There is a difference between tackling & laying him out. If Reilly is laying there & clearly not going to advance the football & he is hit then it is an obvious flag & a dumb penalty, especially if the defender leads with his helmet. A simple tap & the play  is whistled dead if it hasn't been already. Clearly though, Reilly quickly got up & advanced the football before the official had a chance to blow the play dead.

There is a difference between tackling & laying him out. If Reilly is laying there & clearly not going to advance the football & he is hit then it is an obvious flag & a dumb penalty, especially if the defender leads with his helmet. A simple tap & the play  is whistled dead if it hasn't been already. Clearly though, Reilly quickly got up & advanced the football before the official had a chance to blow the play dead.

Tagging the player down is fine but Reilly is playing with fire there because fool me once…etc. etc. 

Next time, in a bam bam fast play like that, the opponent isn't just going to tag Reilly, he's going to TAG Reilly, and frankly, i wouldn't blame them for Reilly's flirting with the rules like that.

It's not like Reilly slid on the ground head first, lay there for a couple of seconds, saw there was no whistle & got up & run again. He was down for only a split second, then got up & ran. It happened so quickly. The way I saw it, wasn't the ref's fault here. It was the Bomber defenders for not finishing the play as they hesitated. Of course, Reilly's going to get back up. 

So what you're telling us is that it was an intentional trick play by Reilly? If that's the case he had better watch himself in the future if he does that again!

So what you're telling us is that it was an intentional trick play by Reilly? If that's the case he had better watch himself in the future if he does that again!

I wouldn't call it a trick play. he stumbled, fell forward & got back up right away. At the same time, I don't think the tackling was very good on defense all night & sure he took advantage of it. The way I see it, he's going to get smoked at some point this season & get injured.

I wouldn't call it a trick play. he stumbled, fell forward & got back up right away. At the same time, I don't think the tackling was very good on defense all night & sure he took advantage of it. The way I see it, he's going to get smoked at some point this season & get injured.

I take issue with what you're saying.

Reilly did not stumble.

He deliberately turned his body and was headed down when he saw Washington. To me, he was giving himself up to avoid Washington's hit.

I'm not even sure Washington didn't brush him.

And yes, he will get smoked if he continues like that.

Reilly did not stumble.

He deliberately turned his body and was headed down when he saw Washington. To me, he was giving himself up to avoid Washington's hit.

Totally agree..he went down on purpose, and seeing as he didn't hear a whistle decided to get up and run again.

Reilly did not stumble.

Totally agree..he went down on purpose, and seeing as he didn't hear a whistle decided to get up and run again.

I'd have to look at the play to see if I think Reilly deliberately went down...

If someone smokes Reilly if he does it again, they will take a roughing penalty, 100% of the time.

That's not true. If he goes down, then no whistle, then gets up and starts to run again and gets smoked...he is a running back...no penalty!

I have no doubt at all their will still be a penalty.  You can complain about it, but it will still happen.

If someone smokes Reilly if he does it again, they will take a roughing penalty, 100% of the time.

That's not true. If he goes down, then no whistle, then gets up and starts to run again and gets smoked...he is a running back...no penalty!

I have no doubt at all their will still be a penalty. You can complain about it, but it will still happen.

Yet you don't seem to comprehend why people are frustrated with the refereeing

I totally understand why people are frustrated with the refereeing, but it's the reality in the CFL.  You can complain all you want.  It won't do any good.  The really funny thing here is the play you're complaining about was called properly.  The player is allowed to get back up and run as long as they do it pretty much right away.