Rushing QB

Clarky

Reilly didn't hook slide so the defense had to touch him to be down by contact.  The defense made a mistake.  Reilly took advantage of it.  It's as simple as that.

he didn't hook slide but only because he was a bit off balance... he kind of fell sideways, but he was clearly trying his best to slide and give himself up. 

Yup, he was giving himself up.  All the defense had to do was touch him, but they didn't for some unexplainable reason.  That's their fault, not the refs or Reilly's. 

As bad as our tackling was Reilly never quit on any play. Many times he could have just thrown the ball into the stands, but instead he made the decision to play with high risk and challenge the BB D to bring him down. On most nights that's a very slippery slope to attempt to go down, Luckily for Reilly the BB defenders had their kid gloves on last night. I'm thinking next time he may not be so lucky! 

Nearly the exact same play happened in the 4th quarter and the official blew the play dead immediately after Reilly hit the turf, before he was contacted on a headfirst roll/slide.

The inconsistency is what ruins the game and leaves the defense guessing as to when they can make the hit and when they can't.

It's at the point where they need to adopt the amateur rule of having a player down once he hits the turf regardless of whether it involved contact with an opponent, just for the sake of consistency.

Reilly didn't hook slide so the defense had to touch him to be down by contact.  The defense made a mistake.  Reilly took advantage of it.  It's as simple as that.

he didn't hook slide but only because he was a bit off balance... he kind of fell sideways, but he was clearly trying his best to slide and give himself up. 

Yup, he was giving himself up.  All the defense had to do was touch him, but they didn't for some unexplainable reason.  That's their fault, not the refs or Reilly's. 

Why would they think they had to touch him when they were thinking he gave himself up and the whistle should go?....you're theory doesn't hold water.

Why would they think they had to touch him when they were thinking he gave himself up and the whistle should go?....you're theory doesn't hold water.

God good folks.  I was taught in 6 man football in the 60's to tag the ball carrier on the ground.  It's not something that's new.  If the whistle hasn't gone, tag the guy.  No questions.  It doesn't matter if it's the QB or not.  Just touch him down to make sure.  

God good folks.  I was taught in 6 man football in the 60's to tag the ball carrier on the ground.  It's not something that's new.  If the whistle hasn't gone, tag the guy.  No questions.  It doesn't matter if it's the QB or not.  Just touch him down to make sure.  

That's just folklore, I'm sure.

Tough to tag him when he barrel rolls and pops back up in the space of about a 1/4 of a second.  The only Bomber in position to was coming in to tackle/hit him and purposefully went over him to avoid a penalty that almost surely would have been called if he hit him full speed while he was on the turf.

in the 60's they didn't have the rule where the quarterback could slide feet first and have the play blown dead immediately...God good to you Mr. Burgess!

Argh! Any player on the ground, QB's included, have to be touched down and every player on the defense knows that.  It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

No. They don't.

Reilly slid. The play is supposed to be dead because he's giving himself up. There's no touch required in that situation.

And to be honest, considering the way they flagged both Turner and Willis for such minor contact to a QB, I'm not sure the ref doesn't throw a flag if someone tags a QB after he slides.

BS.  Reilly didn't slide feet first.  He didn't hook slide.  He wasn't down by contact.  He got back up and continued the play which is what the rules allow and exactly what he was taught to do.

The defensive players don't need to think if it was a hook slide or feet first or even if it's a QB.  No thought process needed.  All they have to do its tag the player on the ground.  Every freaking time!  I don't mean spear the player on the ground.  I don't mean hit the player on the ground.  I mean tag the player and I've never seen anyone get a penalty for that.

This shouldn't even be a debate.  If Willy had done it, we'd be rightfully saying "Good Job". 

BS.  Reilly didn't slide feet first.  He didn't hook slide.  He wasn't down by contact.  He got back up and continued the play which is what the rules allow and exactly what he was taught to do.

The defensive players don't need to think if it was a hook slide or feet first or even if it's a QB.  No thought process needed.  All they have to do its tag the player on the ground.  Every freaking time!  I don't mean spear the player on the ground.  I don't mean hit the player on the ground.  I mean tag the player and I've never seen anyone get a penalty for that.

This shouldn't even be a debate.  If Willy had done it, we'd be rightfully saying "Good Job". 

Of course we would be. There's nothing wrong with what Reilly did. I'd expect him to get up if he didn't hear a whistle. The point is there should have been a whistle.

This is one of those arguments where you're obviously not going to get it, so we'll just leave it at that.

Ball carrier on the turf who is not attempting to advance the ball = play terminated.  By diving to the turf, Reilly indicated that he was no longer attempting to advance the ball, he didn't trip or dive to the turf to catch a pass and pop up without contact, he dove.  The officials blew that call by not blowing their whistles with Reilly on the turf.  Doesn't matter if it's a QB or anyone else.  Same way they blew the call on the final kickoff in the Montreal game.

Guaranteed if that Bomber who was bearing down on Reilly came at him full speed on the turf they'd apply the rules that way^.

The only difference between a hook slide and a head first slide is that the ball is spotted at the point the hook slide started while the head first slide is spotted where the ball is when it terminates.

Of course we would be. There's nothing wrong with what Reilly did. I'd expect him to get up if he didn't hear a whistle. The point is there should have been a whistle.

This is one of those arguments where you're obviously not going to get it, so we'll just leave it at that.

Point is there shouldn't have been a whistle because no one touched him.  You're the one who's not getting it.  

Point is there shouldn't have been a whistle because no one touched him.  You're the one who's not getting it.  

If a qb slides and gives himself up they blow the whistle though without the qb needing to be touched....

I think the whole confusion here is because it was Reilly…the QB.

Any other player would have to be tagged, but the heightened awareness of not hurting QBs is very much evident in some of the calls.

Reilly, the QB, was seen to have "given himself up" and the whistle should definitely have been blown.

The warrior Reilly, just put himself and other QBs as targets by doing what he did. Next time, he's open to get hit, just like you fake to go out of bounds and don't…you're going to get clobbered next time.

Some say Reilly was smart, by using the rules to trick the opponents and get extra yards.

You can't have it both ways.

No really YOU'RE the one who's not getting it!

Why would there be a whistle? Reilly went head first with his slide (intentional or not) and is still considered a runner. He's not afforded the protection a passer gets when he gives himself up. Because he wasn't touched, he has every right to get up and advance the ball. Players simply have to be aware of what's happening on the field. That said, the refs are so wildly inconsistent with how they protect the quarterback that I can't fault players for letting up.

It doesn't matter if it's a RB, a receiver or a QB.  If any of them dive forward and don't get touched, they can all get up an run and none of them will be whistled dead.  The refs didn't even whistle it dead when a returner took a knee on the field.  They allowed him to get back up and return the ball.  Quite frankly, that one should have been whistled dead IMO, but it's pretty evident that the refs aren't going to whistle anyone down until they've been touched, unless it's in the endzone.

I do fault the defensive players for not touching Reilly down.  They should all know the rules.  

If this is the play you are referring to (guessing it is)

http://youtu.be/0bMWOyB6dYM?t=47m5s

That is not "giving himself up" in any form. That's a head first dive under a tackle. Demond Washington ducked his head to make the tackle and lost sight of the runner. At some point, especially after first down yardage has been gained, the recognition of having to make the stop versus laying the lumber needs to take place. 

The Bombers sloppy tackling and poor positioning is a major issue that will need to be addressed or teams will continue to take advantage of it. 

Here is the wording of the QB Hook Slide rule:

Article 4 – Roughing The Passer

Because the act of passing puts the passer in a particularly vulnerable position to injury, special rules against roughing the passer apply. Once the ball is released, defensive players must avoid all unnecessary contact with the passer. A player shall be penalized for any act of Unnecessary Roughness to the passer, including but not limited to:

(e) When the quarterback slides feet first, all unnecessary contact must be avoided. The slide must be done in a timely manner to allow the defence to avoid such contact.

Reilly is not a QB that hook slides due to taking a concussion giving shot one time when he did the foot first slide and the defender didn't let up. Fitting that Matt Dunigan was the guy in the color commentary chair for that game as Reilly is a fairly good carbon copy of the original Eskimo gunslinging QB with the LB mentality.