WPG vs Ottawa Preview And Thoughts

Moving on past the debacles of our former East brethren, it's time to look ahead to Ottawa and their team.

Well, this is a veteran team, put together of various personnel that we used to play in our previous years.  Certainly one that can't be taken lightly.  We saw the kind of fight they gave the Riders in preseason, and I certainly think they will be a bigger challenge this weekend.

I don't expect our offense to go throwing up the deuces of 45 points this game, CFL rarely has a team put that kind of production up back to back weeks, but one of our biggest marks of progress was that those points weren't just hit and miss drives that either lived or died by the big play, they were our offense in general staying on schedule with productive drives and finishing them.

We won't score a TD every time, but I'm glad to see our red zone percentage go up.

Think this one will be much closer, but hopefully we pull it out at the end.

Gooo Blue

I'll be watching the Arron Kelly - Jovon Johnson matchup. We should milk that match-up, imo.

Their receiving corps doesn't scare me a bit - Kierre Johnson, Marcus Henry, Paris Jackson, Dobson Collins and Matt Carter.

And their best 2 maybe lineup against our 2 best DB in Randle and Washington. 

But we need to lookout on Lavoie though.

I picked the Bombers but it's been the best bet in CFL for years to pick the Bombers to lose after a win.  Ottawa has an extra week to prepare for us and has seen what we did to Toronto.  We don't know what Ottawa will do in a regular season game.  It's also the first game for the new Ottawa team so they should be sky high.

We need to get to Burris early and often.  They need to run on us.  

We need to protect Willy.  They need to pressure him.

We need to win 2 in a row for the first time since the first half of 2011.

The extra week doesn't necessarily give Ottawa an advantage....  the team will be rusty and needs some game time to get comfortable.   

I'm sure Burris will be *on* but I'm unsure of the defense and if Burris is pressured... will the running game and the receivers step up?  

In Pre season Burris had all the time in the world to throw the ball and he dropped perfect passes to these mostly no name receivers....  

Hit Burris early and often. Don't let his receivers breathe. The picks will come as he gets more desperate and tries to force things. Leggett will be tested as Burris won't be afraid to try to stretch the field.

Hank does not like being hit. If he gets pressured & hit he becomes the "Deer In The Headlines QB" & starts making bad decisions. If we give him time & he gets into a rhythm our defense will be in trouble.  

Hit Burris early and often. Don't let his receivers breathe. The picks will come as he gets more desperate and tries to force things. Leggett will be tested as Burris won't be afraid to try to stretch the field.

Hank does not like being hit. If he gets pressured & hit he becomes the "Deer In The Headlines QB" & starts making bad decisions. If we give him time & he gets into a rhythm our defense will be in trouble.

Do you mean "Deer in the headlights"?

Gonna be a 180 for our offense facing a Campbell/Nelson D rather than a Burke D.  Gonna see far less man coverage, tougher throws, tougher catches.

I agree. Their coaches should provide a good gameplan on defence.  I just don't know if they have the personnel to execute it.

Either way, way less room for error for Willy, and they'll have to be more methodical.  Safe to assume Ottawa is always going to have 2-3 guys splitting the deep halves/thirds.

We'll see if Bellefeuille can draw up as good of a gameplan as they had right out of the chute vs the Argos.

The key to beating Ottawa will be simple, when you get a shot at Burris don't miss. The old bugger is pretty elusive but if you tackle well he'll go down just like anyone else. 

Burris isn't fast anymore but he's got an innate ability to slide off potential tacklers, giving them real poor angles to wrap him up. That trait allows him to get that extra second to find secondary receivers and Hank still has the good arm. Real good arm. After glancing off Hank in the backfield tacklers sometimes get real frustrated - looking for different approach angles and Hank can really ravage them. Ricky Campbell will simply tell Hank to take full advantage of Etcheverry's tendency to be over-aggressive!!!

I don't think we'll get too many hits on Burris, no matter how many times we say it on here.  We say the same thing every time the Bombers play Kevin Glenn. I do think he's more of an ad-libber than Ricky Ray, so it'll be interesting to see how our D adjusts to that.

Given that he'll be facing a D with a different look, I think Willy is going to struggle this week.  He'll need more time to read the zone coverage, hopefully the OL is up to the task.  

The way I see it, the key as already said is very simple, get under Hanks skin. When he gets frustrated he can make Kevin Glenn look like an all star QB. The Ottawa receivers are weak for sure, and our D confused the heck out of Ray, you can bet Burris will get confused and frustrated too. 

I think the Bombers will win this game easy. They may even score 50 points, who knows. Though I think Hank will move the ball early against us, I think he'll be limited to field goals. SHould have taken Maher in the fantasy draft maybe. He'll probably have four or five field goals to our 6 TD's  - LIam for extra points = a good thing :)

Had a chance to get by practice today.   1st team offense was unspectacular.   Willy had a ball batted down at the line.   Kohlert and Kelly both had drops although Kelly did have one good catch in traffic.   O-line looked to struggle with blitz pickup. Stoudermire had a nice pick on a deep ball.   Watson and Anderson were the only 2 guys I noticed not participating at all.    When 1st team D took the field, Romby was matched up one on one vs Randle and completely undressed him.   Romby was open by about 5 yards and dropped the touchdown pass.   Otherwise D looked sharp.