WPG vs Ottawa Preview And Thoughts

Chevon Walker will probably be good for a 75 yard TD and a fumble that breaks their spirit.

Bomber should cut that 75 into 50 and no TD and try to double his fumble.

I'm hoping Vega & Co. , set the tone early while the Bombers OL are still have their rust and jitters.

Take advantage of the opportunity.

Fraser is a liability at safety sometimes. He started in Calgary but moreso because of the ratio & where Huff wanted to play his Nationals. Fraser can't seem to get over at times to make the plays he needs to. Hopefully we can take advantage of that & go over the top on their secondary a few times. 

Fraser is a liability at safety sometimes. He started in Calgary but moreso because of the ratio & where Huff wanted to play his Nationals. Fraser can't seem to get over at times to make the plays he needs to. Hopefully we can take advantage of that & go over the top on their secondary a few times. 

Quit ragging on Fraser

Too bad that the REDBARFS didn't sign Cauchy to be their safety. I'd just love to see us take on a secondary with JJ and Cauchy out there, whiffing tackles and misjudging patterns.

If im the bombers, i go after JJ on the first play of the game tonight. Do get a minor feeling that JJ will want to prove something tonight but... i'm not sure he proves what he wants too. This will be an interesting game, Ottawa will get hyped from TSN for sure, rightfully so i guess, first game and all but.. i still think the bombers pull off the win. 

If im the bombers, i go after JJ on the first play of the game tonight. Do get a minor feeling that JJ will want to prove something tonight but... i'm not sure he proves what he wants too.

Not me, I go after their pair of rookie halfbacks early and often.

If im the bombers, i go after JJ on the first play of the game tonight. Do get a minor feeling that JJ will want to prove something tonight but... i'm not sure he proves what he wants too.

Yeah, as much as people want to **** on JJ, here's the thing about him: He's always at his best when he has a chip on his shoulder. And he has a MASSIVE chip on his shoulder about being released here. He wants to have an oustanding game, if for no other reason than to say **** You to the Bombers. He might get torched all season, but this first game against Winnipeg? I bet you he's lights out...

Yeah, as much as people want to **** on JJ, here's the thing about him: He's always at his best when he has a chip on his shoulder. And he has a MASSIVE chip on his shoulder about being released here. He wants to have an oustanding game, if for no other reason than to say **** You to the Bombers. He might get torched all season, but this first game against Winnipeg? I bet you he's lights out...

I think that's the debate. What is his 'best' nowadays, chip or not?

I've got no idea of how well either Ottawa or Winnipeg will play tonight.   I think of the first 2 games as the last 2 pre-season games.  It should be interesting though.

For Winnipeg:  Was last week a blip, the new normal, or somewhere in between?  Will we be able to beat a team that doesn't spot us 24 points and doesn't take 23 penalties?  Will Etch's D look great again or will it have a down day?  Will our receivers be able to get open vs zone.  Will Willy be able to read as quickly when he isn't getting (bad) man coverage all game long?  Will our running game look as good?  Will the loss of Turner and Anderson's injury mean lack of pressure or weaker against the run?  Have we tightened up our special teams coverage?

For Ottawa: Will the fact that they are playing their first game mean anything?  Will Burris get time to throw?  Will their receivers get open?  Will Walker run all over us?  WIll they send tons of pressure to see if they can throw Willy off his game?  Will the be able to stop the run and force Willy to win it with his arm?  Will our ex kicker come back to haunt us?  Will JJ?

Gotta say.... I'm really looking forward to finding out the answers tonight.

The 23 penalties is important to place in proper context.

At the end of the first quarter, when it was 17-0 for Winnipeg, the penalty count was 3 penalties/20 yards for Toronto and 1 penalty/5 yards for Winnipeg. Two of Toronto's penalties were special teams infractions that hardly altered anything at all.

It wasn't like the tide was turned by this sudden rush of penalties, the game was already well in our favor by the time Toronto started losing their cool.

Still find it interesting that T.O.'s penalties are getting so much attention - they took no significant penalties on our first three scoring drives and our too many men penalty essentially allowed them to score one of their TDs.

I think Etch has at least 3-4 more games before teams really catch on to his schemes...  we seem to have the talent assembled to cover for this - will be watching Vega, Sears, Leggett tonight...  Still not a huge fan of Dunn - hasn't shown me anything special.

I think this game really hinges on Sears hammering Chevon Walker early...  if CW gets moving, it will be close, if not, I think bombers could start rolling.

JJ is being a real class act this week - props to him.

Will our receivers be able to get open vs zone.  Will Willy be able to read as quickly when he isn't getting (bad) man coverage all game long?  

I think based on the preseason games and game 1 that this shouldn't really be a concern. Willy showed very good ability to see the field and make the right throws, I don't see Ottawa doing anything that really confuses him. 

The D is another matter but I suspect that they'll simply outmatch Ottawa because let's be completely honest here, they don't have a lot of talent outside of Burris.

The D is another matter but I suspect that they'll simply outmatch Ottawa because let's be completely honest here, they don't have a lot of talent outside of Burris.

I don't want to confuse talent with heart. Right now, I'd say thanks to O'Shea and co. on the coaching side, we've got brains and heart. That goes a long way in football. Talent-wise, I wouldn't say we're much better than Ottawa. Where we'll beat em is if we can out think them and out-work them. The key will be getting Hank to turn into Frank, which is all about getting through their O-Line and containing Hank so he can't beat us with his legs.

Will our receivers be able to get open vs zone.  Will Willy be able to read as quickly when he isn't getting (bad) man coverage all game long?  

I think based on the preseason games and game 1 that this shouldn't really be a concern. Willy showed very good ability to see the field and make the right throws, I don't see Ottawa doing anything that really confuses him. 

Let us see how Ottawa handles the blitz.... 

I don't want to confuse talent with heart. Right now, I'd say thanks to O'Shea and co. on the coaching side, we've got brains and heart. That goes a long way in football. Talent-wise, I wouldn't say we're much better than Ottawa. Where we'll beat em is if we can out think them and out-work them. The key will be getting Hank to turn into Frank, which is all about getting through their O-Line and containing Hank so he can't beat us with his legs.

I think you underestimate the players we have defensively. There are a lot of good talented players on this defense. Particularly in the secondary. When I look at the receivers Ottawa is trotting out I give an edge to our secondary without hesitation.

I think you underestimate the players we have defensively. There are a lot of good talented players on this defense. Particularly in the secondary. When I look at the receivers Ottawa is trotting out I give an edge to our secondary without hesitation.

I underestimate them right now on purpose. We've seen only one game from this crew. When the defence goes out and dominates in the next 4-5 games, I'll give them more respect in terms of their talent. I want to see the kind of performance they had against Ricky Ray a few more times.

The 23 penalties is important to place in proper context.

At the end of the first quarter, when it was 17-0 for Winnipeg, the penalty count was 3 penalties/20 yards for Toronto and 1 penalty/5 yards for Winnipeg. Two of Toronto's penalties were special teams infractions that hardly altered anything at all.

It wasn't like the tide was turned by this sudden rush of penalties, the game was already well in our favor by the time Toronto started losing their cool.

I think your trying to downplay the significance.

It may have happened, but I can't remember any team taking 20+ penalties for 150+ yards and winning the game in the entire time I've been watching football.  Lets say the odds of that happening are slim to none.

If the Bombers took that many penalties for that many yards we would have lost the game and everyone would be rightly pointing to the penalties as a big reason.   The same should hold true for the Argos.

The penalties may not have been directly responsible for the first 17 points, but they are greatly responsible for the Argos not being able to get back into the game.  There is no way for any team to come back when they are getting a penalty every other down and giving up chunks of real estate for free.