Wowee, Still Can't Believe What I Saw

Trying to contain this excitement but just all kinds of going crazy has been going on tonight, and for plenty good reason too.

1.  TD on the opening drive to start the game and get the offense flying high.  I was just thinking, when was the last time we actually drove down the field on an opening drive and scored.  Seems like it was centuries ago.

2.  I just want to call Bellefeuille the biggest genius of CFL offense I've ever seen.  Ok ok, I know it's just one game, the O is gonna be tested a lot this year and will need to prove a lot before we can say that, but this playcalling was among the best I have seen in a very very long time.  That disease called the checkdown offense really is gone now.  And I mean really gone.

3.  ST, wasn't on their A-game no, though that fake punt was a brilliant move.  But since our coach is about as ST expertised as you can get, it will get better.

Team's gonna get their tests, and in those moments of adversity is when we'll find out what they're really made of, but when you want to build a winning team and build confidence moving forward, this is about as good as it could ever get.  Just wowee.  We just really might be legit this year.

I mean, the offense in all phases of the game clicking?  When was the last time that happened?  When Burgess was here?  I mean I thought we could go out there, play close and tight and make it close, but just to go rolling in there like that and really actually be the team putting the pedal to the metal?  Lapolice had to be sick to his stomach seeing that lol.

What a great game to watch if your a Bomber fan!  

Opening drive of the season's a TD.  When was the last time we did that?

Willy had time.  Threw some great balls.  Looked more like Ray than Ray.  Only blemish was the Int.

Etch's defense looked spectacular tonight.  I don't think it will last game to game, but it sure was great to see tonight.

Kelly had a career night.  Looked way better than I and many others thought he would.

Got the breaks and Toronto took way too many penalties.

Toronto's noname DB's looked horrible.  Mistake after mistake.

Our receivers look a lot better when the QB can get them the ball in stride.

Best I've felt about a Bomber game in years.  Great job by all involved.

That was definitely a game plan put together for Burke's defence, and with not a lot of pressure on the QB from the front four, that defence collapses and is prone to getting burned by the deep ball, or any ball really with no pressure.  

Even the turnover was a good play for the Bombers.  Essentially a 45 yard punt, and also a 50-50 INT/Denmark catch for touchdown ball.

Toronto's offence was off-balance all night, Ray had no idea where to go with the ball from what the D showed pre-snap, leading to a lot of double-clutching and settling for 2 yard passes with a defender coming downhill at the guy catching the ball, when our defence got to the ball and didn't let Owens, Durie or Chiles get any YAC, they had nothing.  One might wonder why the Argos didn't try to establish any kind of run game, even though they got behind early, there was lots of time and they completely abandoned the run.  The Argos had a terrible night, penalties like crazy, a couple of their DB's looked terrible in man coverage, #4 especially.  Even on a lot of the deep bals the Bombers completed, he could have easily and probably should have been flagged for PI.

It's nice having a quarterback with an arm and a brain, who isn't getting scraped off the turf whenever he gets hit.

And where did it all start boys - preseason. 0-2 last year, 0-2 this year. I've preached many times, check the Jets record in their second year (one loss to their farm team, then beat Chicago in their home opener 6 to 2 then beat Colorado for their next win - 30 games later) that pre-season wins / losses mean nothing. It's how you play, how you compete in those games. Last year was an embarrassment. This year was inspiring, the bombers fought,played 60 minutes and competed to the end. 

So the score surprised me insomuch as I thought the Argos' would be better, especially on offense. But the effort didn't. I said in another thread O'Shea would win coach of the year (and I said that a week ago) and I still stand by that. Still one game, and I don't think we'll make the playoffs, but we won't finished by Labour Day, and teams will not like the road trip to Wpg. 

And where did it all start boys - preseason. 0-2 last year, 0-2 this year. I've preached many times, check the Jets record in their second year (one loss to their farm team, then beat Chicago in their home opener 6 to 2 then beat Colorado for their next win - 30 games later) that pre-season wins / losses mean nothing. It's how you play, how you compete in those games. Last year was an embarrassment. This year was inspiring, the bombers fought,played 60 minutes and competed to the end. 

So the score surprised me insomuch as I thought the Argos' would be better, especially on offense. But the effort didn't. I said in another thread O'Shea would win coach of the year (and I said that a week ago) and I still stand by that. Still one game, and I don't think we'll make the playoffs, but we won't finished by Labour Day, and teams will not like the road trip to Wpg. 

Yup, excellent assessment, it's not about records, it's about a team's mentality and the overall morale that they have, and there most certainly is a huge difference between this year's team and last year's in that regard.

My only fear is just hoping that we didn't use up all our magic on last night's game lol.

I thought the Bomber coaching was brilliant last night.

From the play calling to the challenge to the way they talked to players coming off of the field.  Everything looked like I want to see it.  I love coaching specialty teams, I love to gamble, and I love "gadget" type plays with lots of motion and mis-direction on both sides of the ball.

The only thing that made me go "hmmmm"  was the fake punt.  On one hand I agree, I like a coach who is agressive as I believe it inspires his players.  It shows  he has confidence in them.  It sets the tone that this is the kind of club we are; we take chances and we play full out.    On the other hand, we were well up, and now every other team has film on that play, part of me says maybe we should have kept that one in our pocket.   It sure was fun though!

It's been bugging me watching Willy because he reminded me of a former Bomber QB and it finally came to me last night, Sean Salisbury 2.0. And complete arrogance on the part of Milanovich continuing to try to pass against that defence without establishing the run, a very poor coaching effort all around by the Argos.

From the play calling to the challenge to the way they talked to players coming off of the field.  Everything looked like I want to see it.  I love coaching specialty teams, I love to gamble, and I love "gadget" type plays with lots of motion and mis-direction on both sides of the ball.

The only thing that made me go "hmmmm"  was the fake punt.  On one hand I agree, I like a coach who is agressive as I believe it inspires his players.  It shows  he has confidence in them.  It sets the tone that this is the kind of club we are; we take chances and we play full out.    On the other hand, we were well up, and now every other team has film on that play, part of me says maybe we should have kept that one in our pocket.   It sure was fun though!

I initially felt the same about the fake punt, but it wasn't anything gimmicky or gadgety at all, just a total blown assignment by the Argo back on that side of the field to not cover the gunner.  All the Bombers showed is that they are willing to take advantage of that.

I don't that fake punt is a gadget play.

If you re-watch the video coaching staff on the sideline are shouting to throw it outside because Sherman is not covered by an Argo defender.

Owens saw it but with a lot of distance to cover he didn't get there on time.

It's an opportunity (to extend the play) presented by the Argos brain fart and the Bombers just took advantage of it.

I initially felt the same about the fake punt, but it wasn't anything gimmicky or gadgety at all, just a total blown assignment by the Argo back on that side of the field to not cover the gunner.  All the Bombers showed is that they are willing to take advantage of that.

Yep 100% there. Don't worry Jaxon, no 'secrets' were revealed, other than Renauds lack of arm strength lol. If anything I'd have been pissed if they didn't do that. As said, no one (wearing argo colors) was within 30 yards of Sherman. That was just great recognition by Renaud and definitely the right thing to do. And you know what, if Ottawa does that, or any other opponent, we'll run the same play and the only thing that can stop it is Renaud's arm or the intended receiver dropping it. 

Last week I watched a replay on TSN Classic of a game from 1989 - Winnipeg vs Ottawa. It was eerily similar to last night's game - the Bombers with Sean Salisbury just marched at will down the field and the defence just kept getting the Ottawa offence to turnover the ball. It was 36-3 at one point and the Bombers called a fake punt and got the first down. Up by 33 points and they called a fake on a punt, and executed it to perfection. Last night's game was like a trip back in time to the days of yore in the 1980's when the team had balls and took no prisoners. It's been a long wait.

The Argos zany punt coverage gave us that play. It was a gift. Renaud saw it & to his credit got the ball out there. It was a heads up play. We haven't seen many of those the past decade or so.

Re: Renaud's first down toss. It's playing to win, nothing more. I don't care what the score is, you play to beat the opponent.

We didn't draw up somehing special to embarrass the Argos. They did a fine job of that themselves, and we took advantage. What a refreshing change. Us, not the opponent, smelling blood and going for the kill. Love it.

Re: Renaud's first down toss. It's playing to win, nothing more. I don't care what the score is, you play to beat the opponent.

We didn't draw up something special to embarrass the Argos. They did a fine job of that themselves, and we took advantage. What a refreshing change. Us, not the opponent, smelling blood and going for the kill. Love it.

And we didn't fold in the second half. A refreshing change and perhaps a sign of things to come. Last season the team collapsed so often there was talk of moving the team to the Philippines and renaming them "The Manila Folders".