Brohm passes Hall on the depth chart?

From Penton in today's Winnipeg Sun:

It appears Brian Brohm is in the running to be the most popular man in Manitoba, also known as the Bombers’ backup quarterback.

The 28-year-old from Louisville, Ky., has moved past Max Hall on Winnipeg’s depth chart and is now running the second team offence behind starter Drew Willy. Brohm had a better pre-season game than Hall on Saturday night, and he’s looking much more comfortable in offensive co-ordinator Marcel Bellefeuille’s offence than he did at the beginning of camp.

“I feel like things are coming along well,” Brohm said today after practice. “I feel good about where I’m at. I still have a lot of improvements to make, but I do feel good about the progress I’ve made so far. I’m just going to keep my head down and keep working hard.”

Brohm has had a wild football ride over the years to Winnipeg, including an appearance on the cover of Sports Illustrated as a Grade 11 student, a star-studded career at his hometown university, a couple of failed NFL stints and a stop in the now-defunct United Football League for which he’s not sure if he’s been completely paid.

So he definitely knows better than to assume something will happen. Now he waits for something to happen before he believes it.

“You can only control what you can control,” he said. “I’ve learned that throughout the process. It’s just a waste of time to worry about what else is going on out there, what might happen. Just focus on what you have in front of you, the practice ahead of you, the game ahead of you, and let everything else work itself out.”

Brohm, whom the Bombers acquired from Hamilton for a conditional draft pick earlier this year, comes from a sporting family that is well known in the Louisville era. His older brothers, Jeff and Greg, and his dad, Oscar, all played for the Cardinals, and his mom and sister were multi-sport athletes as well.

As a result, Brohm knows nothing else than to play football for as long as he can. It’s ingrained in his soul.

“I want to play as long as I can,” he said. “As long as this body holds up and as long as there’s a coaching staff and a front office that will let me play, I want to keep on playing.”

Well, its not as if this is a big surprise to most here. Hall has his supporters who have been keeping the faith even though Hall has been fading in the stretch, as they say in horseracing. Considering the beating he took last year, I would have wished a kinder fate for Max, but there is little room for sentimentality this year. I'm not totally sold on Brohm being ultimately better than Marve, but Brohm does have the CFL experience and that counts for a lot. If Marve progresses as I think he will, I hope Hall hasn't signed a long-term lease on his apartment. This regime is making each player earn his spot.

did they not say they'd be giving both guys a chance to earn the job in practise? Is it possible that Penton is just jumping the gun here based on one practise?

Practice...

I think Hall lost it based on Brohm showing something decent in his second preseason game.

On an interview, Lawless ask O'shea if they will keep all 4 QBs. Personally, I got a sense (from O'shea's answer) that they will keep only 3 and it may be Hall as the odd man out.

Of course, he wont say any roster move (QBs and other position) at this point.

did they not say they'd be giving both guys a chance to earn the job in practise? Is it possible that Penton is just jumping the gun here based on one practise?

Practice...

I think Hall lost it based on Brohm showing something decent in his second preseason game.

He didn't show any better than Hall in that game though, and he was clearly worse in game 1 as well. Difference is simply that Hall made the mistake with the int in Calgary. I honestly don't know where you are getting this idea that Brohm was showing much. Willy in that game was so far ahead of the other 3 it wasn't even funny. 

Practice...

He didn't show any better than Hall in that game though, and he was clearly worse in game 1 as well. Difference is simply that Hall made the mistake with the int in Calgary. I honestly don't know where you are getting this idea that Brohm was showing much. Willy in that game was so far ahead of the other 3 it wasn't even funny. .

Willy actually had an Oline blocking for him. I'd like to see Marve with the starting OL instead of the pylons he had in Calgary. 

I dunno.. I like Max Hall.  I like what he did last year with the **** storm that was blowing.   But If Brohm is better then so be it.. i want the best players possible on the team.

That being said.  Willy looks alot better then the rest.. But i think to really gauge the difference between the remaining three qbs, we would have to see them playing with the same players on offence against the other teams starters on defence.

The most fascinating thing for me, which hasn't happened here in a while, is that after the half our team marched down the field with relative ease and scored a TD.

Its seems its been 2 and outs mixed in with long drive and stall out for a field goal.  hopefully the offence continues to build on what we have see soo far.

Agreed - didn't each of the qbs have no two and outs?

Honestly, yes I care about the back up qb being the right guy, but I'll put the trust in the coaches to make that decision at this point. Definitely no attachment to hall at this point. All and came in with a clean slate this year, and they all have a fair shot. Marve just needs to be around the cfl game more before he can be a bonefide back up (imho - and.not that brohm has much more..)

I haven't watched/heard the video yet but Bauming mentioned that there's no mention of Hall when talking about QBs from O'shea's yesterday's presser .

It also makes sense that Marve (will) takes up the 3rd string, short yardage, change of pace QB, since he's the most mobile and strongest arm among the 4.

I don't think the decision will not be based on McManus' guy vs Mack's guy, although it may put a bit of a weight to it.

Performance wise Brohm improved from pre-season 1 to pre-season 2, whereas Hall stall. Hall's throwing interception on the red zone probably sealed his fate.

You gotta think Brohm's ability to move helps him a bit.... Willy and Marve both made nice plays to avoid sacks that Hall likely would've taken.... with a still fairly raw O-line, the ability to avoid that pressure could be the difference...

Brohm has more tools than Hall.  He also spent a good portion of camp getting reviewed as the 5th best QB on the field behind all the others and Yantz.

He seems to finally have found a groove over the last week.  When he sailed that first pass in Calgary I was concerned we were about to see more of the same, but he settled quickly after that.

I'd want to see more of the same from him over the next while before I'm convinced he's reached consistency, and it's still training camp for a few more days, so depth charts are still somewhat meaningless, but if he can continue to progress the Bombers will be a better team for it.

Brohm was terrible in the NFL, especially while he was on the Packers' roster.

I saw him in the preseason of his rookie year and he looked worse than a rookie quarterback should. Since then, I've had an interest in his development and can't say that I've seen a whole there.

It'll be interesting to see how well he does in the CFL, but I'm not getting my hopes up prematurely.

I saw him in the preseason of his rookie year and he looked worse than a rookie quarterback should. Since then, I've had an interest in his development and can't say that I've seen a whole there.

It'll be interesting to see how well he does in the CFL, but I'm not getting my hopes up prematurely.

Burris also looked awful in the NFL .....

I will reserve judgement on Brohm until he gets a little bit of real experience in the CFL.... he at least has the capability of throwing a 20 + yard pass with some zip so already he has more going for him then Hall....

I remember that Monday night game in Chicago with Burris playing. Didn't he set a record for qb futility in the NFL that night? Brutal doesn't do it justice to describe how badly he played that night.

I totally remember that too. I don't think there was a TD in that game for either team.

Kerwin Bell is the NFL's historical QB Rating leader.  5 for 5, 75 yards, 1 TD, 158.3 QB Rating.  

In the CFL, Kerwin's claim to fame is spiking the ball and sacking himself.  

Small sample sizes from the NFL mean little in the CFL.