Madani: CFLPA Recommends Strike Vote To Members

Noeller

Something will get worked out, it's just posturing, it happens all the time. CFL players aren't stupid although sometimes you have to wonder.. I think a deal is there to be made, they are closer than they appear, if the players would just stop going on twitter and crying about it and actually get back to the CFL with a reasonable counter offer, i think a deal can be made soon, it's not like they couldn't sit down and get a deal done in a day or so.. It's really just a lot of posturing to the fans right now. Not so much by the owners (in some case, you can say we are the owners, no i know not technically but...) 

We all seem to have such short memories when it comes to CBA's. NHL  players did the same, NBA players too, NFL players, heck even last time, the CBA didn't get finished until what? half way through or near the end of june? we got lots of time, if we miss a weeek or 2 of training camp, no big deal. Still not convinced we miss  training camp either though.

heck even last time, the CBA didn't get finished until what? half way through or near the end of june? we got lots of time, if we miss a weeek or 2 of training camp, no big deal. Still not convinced we miss  training camp either though.

june 26th

I'm not 100% sure that these numbers are accurate, but these numbers supposedly from the CFLPA's proposal were posted over on the CFL Forums. The players are nuts if they think they'll see anything like this.

Here are some numbers based on Players offer for 2014:
Max. cap at $6.24 millions. INCREASE OF $1,840,000 MILLIONS AND 41.82%

Post-season compensation:
In 2013 the total costs were at $3,116,400.

In 2014 the Players are asking for $4,770,000. INCREASE OF $1,653,600. or 53.06%

In 2013 the Grey Cup winners received $23,000. WOULD BE $32,500 IN 2014.

In 2013 the Grey Cup losers received $15,000. WOULD BE $22,500 IN 2014.

Pension contribution:

In 2013 the costs per team were at $201,600.

IN 2014 THESE COSTS WOULD BE AT $280,000. INCREASE OF $78,000 OR 39.03%.

Training camp compensation:

Costs were roughly at $103,350 per team. WOULD BE $143,100 IN 2014. INCREASE OF $39,750 OR 38.46%.

Starting in 2015, the PLAYERS have the AUDACITY to ask,for the max. cap:

55% OF GROSS REVENUE OF TV,RADIO,INTERNET.

45% OF GROSS REVENUE OF SPONSORSHIP AND LICENSING.

40% OF GROSS REVENUE OF ALL TICKETS SALES,INCLUDING PRE-SEASON GAMES AND LUXURY BOKES.

I hate to say this, but if the players strike, I hope the League breaks them.  We're finally turning the corner with the CFL, with multiple massive community investments across the league, mostly financially healthy teams, an expansion franchise and now this TV deal which finally allows the league itself to be profitable but also solidifies the stability of the teams.  And the players think they should get a massive increase?  I think the players deserve to share in the success.  But the CFL's offer does that.  And knowing that no one makes an offer without the expectation of a counter, it means the CFL is willing to pay even more. 

If the players thumb their noses at the CFL's reasonable offer, then they can all borrow money from their agents and come back by week 3 for less pay.

Guys make $45,000 a year &  you want to  break them? That's utterly ridiculous. Why not just find another league to follow?

I hate to say this, but if the players strike, I hope the League breaks them.  We're finally turning the corner with the CFL, with multiple massive community investments across the league, mostly financially healthy teams, an expansion franchise and now this TV deal which finally allows the league itself to be profitable but also solidifies the stability of the teams.  And the players think they should get a massive increase?  I think the players deserve to share in the success.  But the CFL's offer does that.  And knowing that no one makes an offer without the expectation of a counter, it means the CFL is willing to pay even more. 

If the players thumb their noses at the CFL's reasonable offer, then they can all borrow money from their agents and come back by week 3 for less pay.

Guys make $45,000 a year &  you want to  break them? That's utterly ridiculous. Why not just find another league to follow?

If Cohon's figures are in fact true in his release, the league average is just shy of $93,000. That's plenty. 

As a 46 year season ticket holder, I'm quite concerned regarding the current bargaining situation.  I love the game and have been a big supporter of the league, and especially the Canadian Content rules.  

After reading the letters from both sides, the comments on here, and the articles in the newspapers, I find that I'm more in support of the league's position rather than the players.

The CFLPA's position apprears to be 2 fold: we deserve more because we took hits in the past, and revenue sharing is the way it is done in sports.   I tend to believe that these arguements are easily countered.

1. Yes the players have had to sacrifice in the past, but so have the owners.  Many teams lost a significant amount of money, and those losses are different variety than the players sacrifices.   As a player, if you took a pay-cut, you still got paid to play football.  They didn't have to ante up money that they had saved from other ventures.  The owners that lost money, were in negative positions.  The players who sacrificed were still in positive positions  (ie they didn't pay to play)   Furthermore, they aren't all the same players.   The players turn over every couple of years, so the ones that gave up, are not necessarily those who will gain back.

2.  Revenue share is a fact in the NFL, NBA, NHL, all of which are a much greater scale than the CFL.   It is not a fact in smaller scale sports:  Arena football, Minor League baseball, AHL hockey.  To believe that this is the model for all sports is incorrect, and there is a major flaw in the concept: COSTS.   The players say that they want to be partners with the owners, but they don't mean it.  They want to share in the revenue, but not in the costs.   How much is the CFLPA willing to contribute to the new stadiums in Winnipeg, Regina, Hamilton, or Ottawa.   They want a hefty percentage of the gate, but don't want to consider the capital costs needed to attain that money.

In a normal business, many decisions come down to the profitability of a project.  For example, suppose you are considering building a new factory, and your annual financing cost is 4 million per year.  You estimate that the increased net revenue will be 6 million per year, and you estimate that staffing cost and other costs remain consistent.  Let's also assume that you have a share ownership plan with your staff.  It's an easy decision, you build the project, everyone is happy, staff have a nice new facility, better than the old one, and the business grows and prospers and everyone gets a share increase on the 2 million per year profit enhancement.   Now consider if you had what the PA wants, a royalty right of the top before expenses.  They'd want 50% of the 6 million, meaning the net revenue would go up by 3 million, and the cost by 4 million, so the project would not happen.    It isn't realistic for the PA to exclude costs from their position.  Partners share in costs, not just revenue.

In the end the CFL already pays way more than most of the players would make if it didn't exist; mulitples more than the arena league, or the European loops.  They pay more than most of the other professional sporting leagues (excluding the big 4)   A 12% (on average) pay hike along with a 3,000 signing bonus appears to be very generous. Certainly in the greater society, most people would be thrilled with an offer like that.

I have the utmost respect for the players hard work and talent, but I'm also realistic about how much they should expect.  The difficulty may be that they are used to working hard and sacrificing to "win" at whatever they are doing.  I'm afraid that egos will get in the way fuelled by all of the union bravado.  If they don't step back and look at the value of the league's offer, which I think more than fair, they risk losing the season.  This would hurt the players and the fans more than the owners.  Right or wrong, that's reality.  My greatest concern is that if we lose a year, a new version of football comes in to replace it.  American (boring) Rules, small fields, 4 downs, 11 players, none of whom are Canadian.   I can't stand the thought of that.

If Cohon's figures are in fact true in his release, the league average is just shy of $93,000. That's plenty. 

As a hardcore CFL fan, I struggle with how to really determine if a fair agreement is in place to address short, mid and long term needs. I do know the obvious, there has to be a balance of give and takes on both sides and Mr. Cohon going around the Union, straight to the players (and public), getting reaction, has taken it to the next level.    

Dont be a crybaby.  Where did I write exactly what you accused me of?  Where did I write "That guy making $45,000, how dare he make that much, lets break him".

I said if the players thumb their noses at the CFL's reasonable offer and end up striking over it, I want the league to break them.  ie. break the union.  ie. win the battle.  ie. get us back playing without mortgaging the future of the CFL to the players.  You'd rather the players win everything they've demanded?

Okay sure, we could hope, after losing a month of the season, that both sides are kind and professional and reasonable.  Not me.  If that happens, I want the side responsible to pay for it.  And that side is the PA.  If my union demanded unreasonable demands after being offered a 9% raise, I'd expect my company to start pulling things off the table if we walked out and cost them money.

Im on the side of reason.  You can be on the side of players making an average of $80,000 for six months of work who claim they "cant eat".

yeah... but there's an Apex Fallacy at work here...

for every Ray, Burris, Lulay or Durant making $350k or more, that means there's likely 8 or more guys making the minimum so you can afford them.

Yeah exactly.  Why dont people feel sorry for the minimum wage stadium workers who wont be working?  They dont make $93,000.  They dont make $45,000. 

Players deserved a fair deal.  They were offered one.  What happens now is on them.

Someone educate me.  When did the players sacrifice?  Did they give back money or take pay cuts when the league was on the verge of bankruptcy?  When teams couldnt pay the bills and there was a cash call and the other teams had to prop them up, did the players give some of their money?  When the Bombers were almost bankrupt and the government handed over money and fans bought season tickets, did the players give back a percentage?

Maybe they did take pay cuts against their contracts.  I really dont know.  But if they didnt, I dont want to hear about sacrifice.  Owners own.  Players play. 

Both sides are going to continue to posture until the CFL sets a deadline for the CBA to be resolved so that the season can start on time.  At that time, and only at that time, will we really start to see what both sides' bottom lines actually are. 

Players - if the league isn't making money hand over fist, it's hard to justify linking revenues to salaries.  Isn't it worth it to let the league reinvest the funds to improve itself, so that you can build towards a better CBA that can be justified, next time?

Owners - you just landed your biggest TV deal ever.  Share a portion of it. 

Come together around a 15% cap increase, and $75-100k per year, and everyone's happy and in training camp.  Just don't think that anyone will until there's a drop dead date.  Deadlines spur action.

The players really need to stop with the twitter stuff though, still several are on there going on and on, it's not helping their cause at all. It's funny that most seem to be the import players too, who in my opinion have the most to lose here. Do they not understand that they are very replaceable? It seems they may not understand that. 

I've almost had enough of this already, when a retired goon like rob murphy tweets out that if anyone crosses the picket line he will personally be there to confront them, man... just shut up already. That is not helping at all. If anything the more the players go on and on about this on twitter, the more i think fans will lean towards the cfls side

Threatening people and having multiple current players retweet it is just dumb. PA needs to put a gag order on the players for sure.

What i don't really get is the players seem to be all angry and hot and bothered that cohon went public with what the CFL offered, but the players went public with what they want way before cohon did. Grown men acting like spoiled brats.

Someone educate me.  When did the players sacrifice?  Did they give back money or take pay cuts when the league was on the verge of bankruptcy?  When teams couldnt pay the bills and there was a cash call and the other teams had to prop them up, did the players give some of their money?  When the Bombers were almost bankrupt and the government handed over money and fans bought season tickets, did the players give back a percentage?

Maybe they did take pay cuts against their contracts.  I really dont know.  But if they didnt, I dont want to hear about sacrifice.  Owners own.  Players play. 

Goodness no.  Their "sacrafice" was conceding on moving from a revenue sharing model to a cap model for player salaries during the last CBA negotiations.  Moving back?  Go right ahead, as long as the numbers keep the CFL healthy and sustainable.

Is the CFL strong right now?  Absolutely.  Strong isn't an objective word; it's a word that can only be used relatively.  In the PA's minds, they are trying to act like the CFL is now a roided up Russian weightlifter.  Nope.  The CFL is strong now, in the sense that life support is no longer needed and the CFL can now resume life as a carefully monitored outpatient.  That might be a minor miracle considering the amount of time it spent in paliative care in the 90s.

Did the PA buy Bomber Booster certificates in the 90's to help prop this team up when it couldn't afford to pay it's bills?  No, that was us, outright giving donations to a football team and not even getting a tax deductable receipt for it.  The players need to choose their words carefully at this point.  The fans are the CFL, plain and simple.  For 100+ years this league has been a gate-driven league.  If the players keep making careless comments that sound like they have no perspective of where this league has been and how amazing it is to have survived at all then I have no choice to stand by the owners, who at least understand that we are not that far removed from a finanacial tipping point.  I'm guessing almost every CFL fan wants to see the players get more money.  I sure do.  But it does not sound like the players give much of a hoot about the long term health of this league or what it took from the fans to get to this point.

Just had a little twitter convo with nik lewis, what he is saying does make sense. Toronto Hamilton and the privately owned teams have not show how much they made or lost last season, why haven't they? they certainly should. It does seem that lewis thinks toronto and hamilton both made money last season, i personally find that hard to believe... but maybe they should just show them their books from last season and see what happens, lewis is convinced they made money... i'm not. 

He does make sense tho, with the revenue sharing idea, when the league profits, the players profit, when the league doesn't the players dont.

All i have to say to the CFL is... show them the numbers on toronto hamilton and the teams who haven't shown their numbers. Perhaps that is what is needed to make the players realize that maybe just maybe they did lose considerable amount of money. Lewis is also convinced toronto is moving out of rogers centre in 2015... is this for sure?

Sometimes networks pay X amount of dollars during work stoppages.  I believe NBC continued to pay the NHL during the last lockout. But I would suspect its not nearly the full amount.

I agree about the players on twitter.  All this stuff about their sacrifice and cant eat and want fair wage.  I mean, who are they talking to?  Average people making less than the players get for six months of playing a game?  We all get the physical investment players have to make to play at a pro level but its out of touch for players to be pleading poverty to the general public.  Would be much smarter if they were provided "talking points" by the PA leadership...things like "We love the CFL and just want to play under a deal that is fair for everyone" or "We're so happy the league is doing so well and we just want to share in that success because we work hard to entertain our great fans".  Its not hard.

Just had a little twitter convo with nik lewis, what he is saying does make sense. Toronto Hamilton and the privately owned teams have not show how much they made or lost last season, why haven't they? they certainly should. It does seem that lewis thinks toronto and hamilton both made money last season, i personally find that hard to believe... but maybe they should just show them their books from last season and see what happens, lewis is convinced they made money... i'm not. 

He does make sense tho, with the revenue sharing idea, when the league profits, the players profit, when the league doesn't the players dont.

All i have to say to the CFL is... show them the numbers on toronto hamilton and the teams who haven't shown their numbers. Perhaps that is what is needed to make the players realize that maybe just maybe they did lose considerable amount of money. Lewis is also convinced toronto is moving out of rogers centre in 2015... is this for sure?

Who care if the private teams wont show their books?  If they want to have them written into the CBA, great.  If its not in there now, then too bad.

As for this "we succeed together or fail together", puhleeze.  They want an increase that is so large it's ridiculous.  And dont they want a CBA length in line with the TV deal?  There is no "fail together".  They are asking for things under the pretty safe bet revenue will keep rising, not falling.  With a new Stadium in Hamilton, new team in ottawa, new stadium imminent in Sask.  And in 5 years if TSN says f this and guts their offer, will the players gladly sign a new CBA at half the value?  Not a chance.

The only smart thing the PA is doing is playing this "lets be partners" game at a time when the league is drastically increasing revenue and appears to be set to continue to increase revenue.  But there is no "we will take a chance and share in the failures" BS.

i don't know, i've seen a few comments on there from some players that do make sense. Lewis said he is not playing to become a millionaire, i don't think its about money here. It's about a fair deal. What is wrong with revenue sharing? all other leagues do it, i mean all of them. There is no guarantee that in the future they do get better revenue, as a matter of fact, i'd be surprised if it doesnt stay similar to what it is today with the exception of hamilton moving in to a new stadium, ottawa is a huge unknown and we all know the troubles with the argos.

I don't see an issue with if the league does well the players do well, if it doesn't the players don't. That actually sounds fair to me. I think the players just want to feel like they matter to the league and right now, i have to admit, it does seem like the league is treating them like crap at times. they walked in to a meeting yesterday, read a letter, 15 minutes later left. That is not negotiating. That's being a bully really. You wont ever get a deal done like that. It just wont happen, The CFL needs to give the players something and the players need to give the CFL something back. And back and forth, Not just this is our offer, bye bye.

Was that deal fair? i  think so but... what did they really give the players? a tiny increase in the cap, and  really not much else. That is not negotiating, That is like grade 2... take it or leave it stuff, i know you are but what am i type stuff here. It's playground tactics really.

On the other side tho, the players need to understand that in order to get they need to give also. What have they given the league in return for wanting a higher cap and revenue sharing? Nothing really... Deals wont get done this way anywhere. Like i said, players need to give to get what they want and the cfl needs to give what they want.. Meet in the middle, its not rocket science really.

As  far as those teams who haven't shown their numbers from last season, who cares? all of us should, it's about being honest and transparent, if the argos ticats als etc lost as much as cohon said they did, then show the players... what do you have to lose? nothing. But.. heres the thing, what if those teams actually did make money ( i dont think they did) but what if they actually did and the CFL is bs'ing the players? You need to be honest and transparent in these negotiations, show them the numbers, if it's what the cfl said it is, then... why are the hiding it? 

Dont be a crybaby.  Where did I write exactly what you accused me of?  Where did I write "That guy making $45,000, how dare he make that much, lets break him".

I said if the players thumb their noses at the CFL's reasonable offer and end up striking over it, I want the league to break them.  ie. break the union.  ie. win the battle.  ie. get us back playing without mortgaging the future of the CFL to the players.  You'd rather the players win everything they've demanded?

Okay sure, we could hope, after losing a month of the season, that both sides are kind and professional and reasonable.  Not me.  If that happens, I want the side responsible to pay for it.  And that side is the PA.  If my union demanded unreasonable demands after being offered a 9% raise, I'd expect my company to start pulling things off the table if we walked out and cost them money.

Im on the side of reason.  You can be on the side of players making an average of $80,000 for six months of work who claim they "cant eat".

I'm not a crybaby but you're becoming a big bag of wind. You said you hope the CFL breaks the union. it's right there for everyone to read. I think that is a ridiculous statement. People say & tweet things in the heat of the moment. This is an emotional issue.You don't? And like Bluto said, for every Burris contract there are 10 or 15 players, maybe more who make the minimum. You want to break them? What did they do to you?

i don't think the twitter comments are bothering anyone, i think what some of us are saying regarding those comments is they should shut up and not make them. If anyone thinks going on twitter and going on and on and on is helping their cause, that's being naive. Shut up, make a counter offer.. you want revenue sharing? then give the CFL something back.

These guys are all being unreasonable.. it does seem the players do want everything under the sun but dont want to give anything up. That's not how negotiations work. Take the NHL as an example, players got 300 million in a make whole payment, to get that they agreed to a lower cap. If the players want revenue sharing then they need to give the cfl the lower cap. If they want a higher cap, then they cant have revenue sharing also. That's not how these things work.

Players want it all like i said but dont seem to want to give anything back to the league. That's a problem. A big problem. To get you need to give something back... it seems the players dont want to do that. If that is indeed the case, then they wont get anything they want. A little give and a little take goes a long way here.

i don't think the twitter comments are bothering anyone, i think what some of us are saying regarding those comments is they should shut up and not make them. If anyone thinks going on twitter and going on and on and on is helping their cause, that's being naive. Shut up, make a counter offer.. you want revenue sharing? then give the CFL something back.

These guys are all being unreasonable.. it does seem the players do want everything under the sun but dont want to give anything up. That's not how negotiations work. Take the NHL as an example, players got 300 million in a make whole payment, to get that they agreed to a lower cap. If the players want revenue sharing then they need to give the cfl the lower cap. If they want a higher cap, then they cant have revenue sharing also. That's not how these things work.

Players want it all like i said but dont seem to want to give anything back to the league. That's a problem. A big problem. To get you need to give something back... it seems the players dont want to do that. If that is indeed the case, then they wont get anything they want. A little give and a little take goes a long way here.

The CFL lowballed the players with an offer to increase the salary cap by $100,000. Works both ways. 

The CFL lowballed the players with an offer to increase the salary cap by $100,000. Works both ways. 

what did the players give back to the CFL tho? they made a ridiculous proposal, 6 million plus cap with revenue sharing and all sorts of things. They didn't give the CFL anything so why should the cfl give them something?