2014 CFL Draft blog

Mike

We need help this season. I'd stay away from Lavertu if he has eligibility. Go with the player that can help us now. I don't think we can go wrong with Matthias Goosen if the Bombers are set on picking an offensive lineman. With the second pick  we have to find a guy who can play. Especially after last year's draft & Andy Mulamba. I thought the draft rules were changed to stop this from happening? Why are players with eligibility left even in the draft? Let them finish CIS first.

In my evaluations, Lavertu is the only guy I like to play right away. Matthias Goossen would be the sure bet, because he comes out of Simon Fraser in the NCAA, which means he can't return to school, however I feel he is atleast two years away from making an impact.

I can't imagine a scenario where Lavertu returns to school, given how high the Bombers are on him.

We need help this season. I'd stay away from Lavertu if he has eligibility. Go with the player that can help us now. I don't think we can go wrong with Matthias Goosen if the Bombers are set on picking an offensive lineman. With the second pick  we have to find a guy who can play. Especially after last year's draft & Andy Mulamba. I thought the draft rules were changed to stop this from happening? Why are players with eligibility left even in the draft? Let them finish CIS first.

In my evaluations, Lavertu is the only guy I like to play right away. Matthias Goossen would be the sure bet, because he comes out of Simon Fraser in the NCAA, which means he can't return to school, however I feel he is atleast two years away from making an impact.

I can't imagine a scenario where Lavertu returns to school, given how high the Bombers are on him.

Bingo. PS, glad you signed up, Tyler.

the NCAA has some absolutely ******** rules when it comes to athletics and what can make players ineligible. 

Bombers have a guy from FSU - Daniel Glauser - attending mini camp next week who lost a year due to playing two games in a Swiss league prior to attending JuCo. Missed out on a National Championship this past year.

the NCAA has some absolutely ******** rules when it comes to athletics and what can make players ineligible. 

Bombers have a guy from FSU - Daniel Glauser - attending mini camp next week who lost a year due to playing two games in a Swiss league prior to attending JuCo. Missed out on a National Championship this past year.

Still calls himself a National Champion in his Twitter bio too.

Thanks man.

They won't even take hockey players who played major jr. because they call that a professional league, just stupidity. 

Technically they don't call Major Junior a professional league but a situation where players receive benefits solely because they are part of those teams. Equipment, monthly stipend, their hosts get reimbursed financially and they get a scholarship fund once they leave the CHL. 

In Daniel Glauser's case if he had played 2 games at any NCAA/NAIA/CIS school before moving to JuCo and then transferring to FSU he'd be in exactly the same boat, the level of play doesn't matter. He'd also be out of luck if he had gone to a CIS school after his JuCo years based on his age. FSU should've looked into it and been honest with him or he should've known after talking to his JuCo coaches. Especially the ones at NMMI that deal with so many international players as it is. 

Thanks man.

Welcome to the party pal! Already dropping knowledge Bombs on us, very cool.

Where does everyone have Quinn Smith on their draft boards? How do you guys compare him to Evan Gill?

I'm noting of an expert on this upcoming draft but I wonder why some people rank Smith ahead of Gill based purely on his combine?... Gill's tape should put him ahead of Smith on every level

Where does everyone have Quinn Smith on their draft boards? How do you guys compare him to Evan Gill?

I'm noting of an expert on this upcoming draft but I wonder why some people rank Smith ahead of Gill based purely on his combine?... Gill's tape should put him ahead of Smith on every level

I don't think it is JUST the combine. Quinn Smith has long been on the radar of CFL teams, but was never in the spotlight thanks to being on a Concordia team that got blown out in almost every game. Evan Gill had a solid season at 280 lbs and then added over 20 and didn't show as well as he did. Gill has a slight edge in upper body strength, but Quinn Smith's quickness and agility is unmatched for a man his size at over 300 lbs. Factor in his 4.82 40 time too.

I don't think it is JUST the combine. Quinn Smith has long been on the radar of CFL teams, but was never in the spotlight thanks to being on a Concordia team that got blown out in almost every game. Evan Gill had a solid season at 280 lbs and then added over 20 and didn't show as well as he did. Gill has a slight edge in upper body strength, but Quinn Smith's quickness and agility is unmatched for a man his size at over 300 lbs. Factor in his 4.82 40 time too.

What were the splits on the 40s?  

Smith was pretty low on the jumps.  The jumps give a bit of a look at what kind of initial surge a guy gets out of his stance and where their core/lower body strength is, more important than the cones for the interior guys IMO, if you get beat off the line and lose leverage quickness ain't gonna help you.

just based on needs, i'd suspect the als will look at bailey if he's there when they pick. I dont really see many non import receivers on their roster.

Ottawa? who knows, they are a confusing bunch really.

Winnipeg probably goes with lavertu or  goosen (pretty safe bet, its one of the 2)

Edmonton will go with the oline guy winnipeg and ottawa (id suspect) dont take.

Quinn Smith eh? I wonder if his draft stock has gone up because not only can he play DL but he can also play OL also it seems.

Versatility is a good thing. Gill? Lets hope he told teams he only wants to play for the bombers :P

My mock draft... I think we gamble on Coombs if Lavertu goes to Ottawa or trade our #2 pick

Ottawa – Lavertu

Winnipeg – Coombs

Edmonton – Smith

Montreal – Bailey

BC - Ainsworth

Toronto – Goossen

Calgary – Gill

Sask - Chin

Hamilton – Lue

Those top five picks imo are the most ready to step into the CFL.

What I would look at in first round (I would trade #2 to BC or Montreal and pick up Coombs/Gill at #4 or 5...)

Lavertu

Coombs (ratio changer ready to step in...  maybe, just maybe, we end up with a 3 import OL and Coombs)

Smith/Ainsworth/Gill

3rd round options 

Jesse Briggs

Tore Corrado

Kyle Paterson

Zac Medeiros

Sleeper picks - - not solely picked because they have cool names... but...

Tchissakid Player (could be our 3rd round pick depending on film)

Doctor Cassama (I think CFL changes their mind about his NI status... could be supplemental)

Raye Hartmann

Hometown Bias - i like having Wpg guys on the team

Thomas Miles

Andrew Smith