Max Hall

Doublezero

Max Hall was starting to grasp 3-down football in the latter part of last season and his play improved as Bombers O-line got its act slightly together. I think he's a smart QB who was put in a very tough situation in Winnipeg. He was Bombers starter for about half the games last season and has played more CFL downs than all our other QBs put together. Hall also showed he is willing to stand in there and take some pretty hellacious hits. I disagree with those who say he has a noodle arm - if he gets into a rhythm he can be effective. I'm looking forward to seeing him improve with MB's offensive makeover and a year of experience under his belt. Here's a recent radio clip where he talks about about a bunch of things, including the differences between CFL and NFL, and says he's looking forward to the coming season: http://www.1320kfan.com/common/page.php?pt=Former+BYU+QB+Max+Hall+On+Monty+In+The+Morning&id=4563&is_corp=0

I actually agree with you. I'm happy to have Willy here as our #1, but I think Max Hall is a very capable #2 with a decent amount of CFL starting experience now under his belt.

To me, he makes Kevin Glenn an unnecessary pick-up unless we can get Glenn for nothing after a flat-out release from Ottawa. If we didn't have Willy, absolutely I would want Glenn in here as our #1 over Max Hall for a good couple years. But with Willy as our #1, I think I'd rather have a young guy with some room to grow (and proven ability to put up some yardage in the CFL) at our #2 spot. I think if Willy goes down or has any struggles, the drop-off to Hall isn't as significant as others are making it out to be. He ended 2013 much improved.

He showed a lot of promise but it's too early to say if he's good enough to be an eventual starter. What I liked is the last 3 games of the season he didnot throw an interception  & was good at not giving up the football. But we also need to explore other options at qb as well which is what we're doing.

He showed a lot of promise but it's too early to say if he's good enough to be an eventual starter. What I liked is the last 3 games of the season he didnot throw an interception  & was good at not giving up the football. But we also need to explore other options at qb as well which is what we're doing.

Why does everyone forget this game????  This was the worst game I went to in Winnipeg.  3 minutes into the 2nd half, I went to the store, then walked to my car.

Nov 2, Hamilton 37, Wpg 7

Name         Comp   Att      Yards  TD   Int

HALL, M       18       35      160      0     1

Why does everyone forget this game????  This was the worst game I went to in Winnipeg.  3 minutes into the 2nd half, I went to the store, then walked to my car.

The whole team had given up by that point. It was a nothing game and everyone played like it.

Worst game I went to was when BC was here.  What a total disaster.

I'm a Max Hall fan as well and admired the football smarts and grit he demonstrated last season.  I think he may surprise a lot of fans in TC coming in as the underdog but I think Walters already knows his value referring to recent comments he made.  I'm positive Max has a future in the CFL but just hope it is with the Bombers.

In regard to the last Hamilton game Hall had bruised ribs and could not throw properly and shouldn't even have been playing.  At that point Burke had already thrown Goltz in the doghouse and didn't have the courage to put Boltus in under any circumstance.

I'm a Max Hall fan as well and admired the football smarts and grit he demonstrated last season.  I think he may surprise a lot of fans in TC coming in as the underdog but I think Walters already knows his value referring to recent comments he made.  I'm positive Max has a future in the CFL but just hope it is with the Bombers.

In regard to the last Hamilton game Hall had bruised ribs and could not throw properly and shouldn't even have been playing.  At that point Burke had already thrown Goltz in the doghouse and didn't have the courage to put Boltus in under any circumstance.

Yeh I was gonna ask if that was the game where Hall was limping off the field after basically every down

Yeh I was gonna ask if that was the game where Hall was limping off the field after basically every down

That was the Toronto game, where we had that amazing sequence where Cory Watson dropped one in the endzone, Hall had a sure TD pass to Denmark hit the upright, and then we botched the field goal.   2013 in a nutshell right there.

One fumble aside, Hall played quite well in that game despite being repeatedly hit like a nearsighted bullfighter.

Anybody who doesn't think the worst Bomber home game of all time was the 2009 Banjo Bowl is crazy. Never had a worse gameday experience in my life. I do agree though that the Boltus experience vs BC was really bad.

Count me in as a Max Hall fan as well. I'm comfortable with him as a backup. If Glenn was cut, or the asking price was reasonable, I'd bring him in, but what the redblacks are asking for now is crazy.

I'd trade Max Hall right now to any team willing to give me a roll of tape in return. Do. not. like. 

But.. Out of 4 Qbs we put on the field last year, he was the only one that could consistenly move the ball down the field with little protection and with Recievers dropping passes.

I'm expecting more from the offence this year and expect the OC to have a good gameplan that plays to our players strengths vs adopted and then edited NCAA offence we tried running last year.

But.. we need a lot of upgrades on the o-line and so far i haven't seen much that has changed from last year.  This concerns me.

But.. we need a lot of upgrades on the o-line and so far i haven't seen much that has changed from last year.  This concerns me.

The only things changing the o-line now that I can see:

1) Draft day we get Lavertu so now we at least have a center to develop

2) Swiston and Pencer pick it up in camp and legitimately push for starting positions, including a tackle spot

3) We bring in a decent Oline coach who can develop our young guys properly. I've seen only regression in our O-line while other teams seem to be able to develop young guys into bonafide starters. This has to change.

I've always thought he had the mental part of the game down.... he reads defenses better than most rookies, he knows how to run an offense, he has a quick release and can find the open receivers.... but his physical attributes are lacking, not a great arm, and almost zero ability to scramble...

I think Mike sums it up nicely, he could turn out to be a very capable backup but never really a reliable starter