Kevin Glenn has requested a trade

Mike

From Farhan Lalji (TSN) tonight:

Kevin Glenn is tired of waiting for a trade and Ottawa GM Marcel Desjardins is comfortable being patient for the right offer.

"If we give up Kevin Glenn, it makes us a weaker team and it will immediately improve the team that gets him," said the Redblacks GM. "How do I sell that to our fans? We have to get significant value in return or it just doesn't make sense."

Just what that value is, is the reason Glenn still remains a member of the Redblacks. While Desjardins is trying to trade Glenn at "starter's value," the general managers looking to acquire him are trying to pay for a back-up. Glenn's contract is also very desirable, especially as a back-up. With his roster bonuses already having been paid, all that remains to be paid during the season is approximately $105,000, assuming he doesn't start a majority of games.

A number of teams initially inquired about Glenn, but currently, it is believed that only the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and B.C. Lions have serious interest in the 34-year-old pivot. Reports out of both cities have suggested that the asking price for Glenn is at minimum a Canadian starter, an import starter and a first-round draft pick. According to Desjardins, that is not the case.

"We are looking for three assets, but I'm not naïve enough to think I can get something that a team doesn't have," said Desjardins. "If a team doesn't have enough of their own pieces in a particular area, that's not my fault, but I can't get what's not there. I've given teams a list of things we're looking for and am asking for a combination of those pieces."

Despite Glenn's frustration that a deal still isn't done, Desjardins says he has not communicated with the Lions or Bombers for almost two weeks. In his last communication with Winnipeg, his asking price was two import starters and a draft pick that was outside the first round.

So for now, the Lions and Bombers wait for Glennss price to come down, while Desjardins doesn't plan to give away what he believes is a prime asset.

Kevin Glenn, meanwhile, has no choice but to sit and wait for someone to blink.

Get Ottawa down to one non core import starter and a 3rd round pick and then pull the trigger Mr.Walters. Show us you have what it takes to negotiate a trade of this level for a fair market value. His extremely cap friendly contract only makes him even more of a no brainer acquisition imo.

No rush in Ottawa. Someone's starter will get hurt eventually and then Glenn becomes a steal at whatever price.

Burris has been the most durable QB in the league in the last many years.

Only guy who started every game for his team.

They have DeMarco... Do you really think they would pay that massive price when they already have a backup and a weak team?

I would trade any 2 of Cauchy, Bucknor, Sears and Dunn and/or rights to Mulumba or Bilukidi

Way too much for a guy who has a QB controversy on every team he is on. Surround Willy, Brohm, and Hall with quality players and they'll succeed and give us a future. Several other key positions need to be filled and the club should be looking at that. Hopefully if Matthews, Dressler or Muamba come back to the cfl we still have the cap room to make them attractive offers. Hopefully we still have a chance with Laurent. If we were to make a trade, I'd want to look at targeting BC or Calgarys MLBs

I would trade any 2 of Cauchy, Bucknor, Sears and Dunn and/or rights to Mulumba or Bilukidi

I'd be reluctant to give up a quality neg list guy... neither could end up playing in the league but it could also come back to haunt us if we give up the wrong one...

We had a Plan A Collaros & Willy. Plan B Burris & Willy. We need a Plan C like Glenn/Willy or Willy/Glenn whoever wins the job. I believe that having Glenn is the future as he mentors our future in Willy. Willy & Hall was probably Plan D. But no way we give up so much to get Glenn. I agree with Zontar. Desjardins created the mess he has now because he was stupid. He proves his stupidity by wanting way too much for Glenn. Desjardins thinks he has the hammer. But everyone knows Glenn wants out so actually Desjardins is the nail.

If I were a redblacks fan I'd be fine with this.  Glenn is a great asset with contract that works if he's a starter or a backup.  The redblacks are going to be a crap team and the fanbase will have pretty low expectations.  I think it's smart of Desjardins to be patient and wait until he can maximize his return.