I Understand This Topic Has Been Beaten To Death But....

CodyT

Kevin Glenn. Kevin would fit our offence perfectly, is it a well known fact that KG is up for trade? It looks like were on to something here, and as much as I love Pierce he's just not the same QB anymore. The Bomber's need to go in a different direction, KG could get the job done in WPG.

Thoughts??

I am by no means a KG fan, but there are strong supporting arguments:

1) This defense could be good enough to send us to the playoffs; with even an average offense on the other side of the ball.

2) KG isn't immune to injuries, but he understands how to be a pocket passer and is less injury prone than Buck, at least partly because of it.

3) KG's got a few good years left in him, and would be at worst a more reliable placeholder, until we groom "the next one."

4) Right now... when Tate is looking amazing, Mitchell is healthy, and all of our QB's are healthy... the price is as low as it is going to get.

I don't think we will be a dominant attack with KG, but if you breed yourself on D like the Bombers have... even an average offense that shows fleeting glimpses of the ability to have big games can give you a shot at playoff glory.

I was a KG supporter before he left, and I still think that was a mistake back then, but that was several years ago.

I don't think that there is much future in KG, and I think that the cost would be too high to bring him in.  He is nearing the end of his career, and I don't see a big benefit here.

I also believe that too many people put too much on the QB, and overlook the faults of others.  Buck was inconsistant last night, no question, but he is not solely responsible for the offensive ills.  He personally had a fumble, and threw a pick (off a deflection).  The other turnovers couldn't logically be placed on him, and those turnovers killed drives.   Our RB's didn't do a good job of picking up the blitz.  Matthews didn't have his strongest game either, and dropped catchable footballs.

IMHO, I'd stick with Buck, and continue to rotate Goltz in to run some wildcat to continue his development.  Virtually every #2 in the league last year got a start at some point in the season, so developing a #2 is critical.

My only concern with bringing Glenn in is that we would have to cut our playbook WAY DOWN for at least 4-5 games while Glenn learnt the system and plays.

I'm not saying we should bring Glenn in...but we're cutting down the playbook now to try and protect Buck...and it is still not working, he hangs onto the ball too long, and often looks like a deer in headlights.

The price would probably be too high to be worth it since Glenn is historically garbage every other year so he's due for a down year. I personally hated Glenn when he was here and still thought he has been horrendously overrated every season since and he is still soft as butter.

That being said, I would consider making a deal involving Poblah + a mid round pick for Glenn. Kohlert and Etienne have shown me enough as of now.

Kevin Glenn, given the style he plays and the style of offense we have right now, could make us a contender. As someone in another thread pointed out, Crowton is getting receivers open. I saw it all game in the home opener and it frustrated the hell out of me. Kevin Glenn would hit those guys more often than not.

Yes, you sometimes get some ill-timed INTs with a guy like Glenn, but (a) he usually responds fairly well to them (ie. you see a lot of 3 TD, 2 INT-type games), and (B) we aren't exactly getting ball protection from Pierce right now anyway.

Glenn for Poblah + 3rd rounder seems fair on both ends, given how high Calgary is on Mitchell. Are there any particularly weaknesses in Calgary that we could address? We have some depth in the front 4, as well.

The price would probably be too high to be worth it since Glenn is historically garbage every other year so he's due for a down year. I personally hated Glenn when he was here and still thought he has been horrendously overrated every season since and he is still soft as butter.

That being said, I would consider making a deal involving Poblah + a mid round pick for Glenn. Kohlert and Etienne have shown me enough as of now.

Till one of them gets hurt, and we're screwed for NI depth.  I like our NI depth now, finally.  Let's not screw with it.  I'd give Calgary a draft pick for Glenn, even a second rounder, but not really interested in giving them any players right now, unless it was a spare part we aren't really needing right now.  They just lost Corey Mace for the year, perhaps we could lend them one of our DE's?  They need an NI though, and NI D line players who can actually play are pretty valuable.

My only concern with bringing Glenn in is that we would have to cut our playbook WAY DOWN for at least 4-5 games while Glenn learnt the system and plays.

Only if we include Buck in the package. Personally, I think a vet like Glenn would sevicable after 2 weeks especially since his quick release is tailor made for Crowton's plans to keep the QB healthy.

Guys, Tate got hurt last game. He's going for an MRI on an injured wrist. He probably won't play next game & Glenn will start. Glenn's not going anywhere.

Heh, for all the complaining about Pierce, Tate has probably missed more games than him these last few years.

I'm not sure if I'm for or against bringing KG in.  What I am for is developing a QB already! We tried with Elliot, tried with Brink, tried with others before them. Now, it's on Goltz and Hall.

I want this drought of ours ended as much as anyone, and if KG was the guy to get us there (Mr.Clutch in the postseason he is not, btw) I'd support it....but when are we going to abandon the band-aid QB's and give the youngings a shot?! Sure, it's different if a healthy Buck can be a top 4 QB in this league, but he's clearly no where close...and in the first 2 games he's arguably been the biggest liability on offence.

I really can't see the Bombers making a pitch for Glenn, besides the fact that Mack has never shown a willingness to bring in an aging vet like that, the move would also raise the question of why they didn't make the move in the offseason. To date, Buck has been exactly what they should have expected him to be, even hoped to be. He hasn't been injured, and has been just good enough to give them a shot to win both games. I think that regardless of what people think, Mack, Burke and co. are not stupid, they know that they have, at best, the 7th best starting QB in the league. Now, if Buck goes down, and Goltz isn't impressive, than maybe they re-think their strategy....but don't see it happening before then.

What I am for is developing a QB already!

Other than BC though which other teams have developed a qb recently? Durant in Saskatchewan.... Tate was with a couple teams before he got his chance in Calgary.... other than that it's a bunch of old guys and retreads. That's why Glenn still has a job in the league. So short on qbs and so hard to actually develop them you find a guy who has shown he can play a little and he gets a million chances. 

Till one of them gets hurt, and we're screwed for NI depth.  I like our NI depth now, finally.  Let's not screw with it.  I'd give Calgary a draft pick for Glenn, even a second rounder, but not really interested in giving them any players right now, unless it was a spare part we aren't really needing right now. 

Yeah, look at how back the Ticats are hooped without both Fantuz and Stala -- you gotta hang onto all the starting-calibre NIs we can.