O'Shea names Drew Willy Bombers starting QB

gbill2004

Not sure why this is a big fu to Ottawa. Ottawa did what it took to get the best abs they couldmgetmformtheir club. Good on them.

Maybe their plan is to keep, trade or cut Glenn now but I suspect they will keep them both.

Because they were obviously thinking they could turn around and turn Glenn into viable assets. 

I dunno.. If the bombers  or any other team were in their position, would they not draft the BEST unprotected QB they could to Guarantee they have at least one suitable starting QB?  Then grabbing another future HOF QB in FA only maked them that much more secure at QB??

I'm not sure i buy that they drafted Glenn in order to trade him.. or that they signed Burris just so they could use Glenn as trade bait.  

Maybe they did, but is seems like the least likely situation.  My guess is that they go into camp with all three QBs and see who produces the most with whatever system they run.   One only has to look at our QB situation the last 5 years to realize that if you don't have a CFL quality starting QB your record is gonna be pretty shitty.

it's not that they drafted Glenn with the intention of getting Burris and flipping Glenn, it's that when they started to pursue Burris they felt they could do it. Now they're paying 2 starting qbs, one who is angry to not be the starter and one who hates when someone else is breathing down his neck. The Bombers being the only other team that needed a starting qb coming out and saying "yeah we're sticking with willy" is a big FU to Ottawa cause now they've got their qb controversy and they haven't even hit training camp yet. 

Not sure Ottawa Cares.. They can just CUt Glenn if they want to and its no skin off their back.. Maybe after signing Burris they thought about possibly gettings something for glen via a trade (but what GM wouldn't).

Sounds like sour grapes from up bomber fans.. And i wanted Burris.. But i'm not the slightest bit angry or upset with Ottawa..

Naming Willy the starter before training camp is kinda silly and childish if its just to say FU to ottawa.  Especially since Willy is unproven and will most likely upset Hall / backup QBs.

its really inconsequential in the grand scheme of things..

you don't want to cut glenn though because taking Glenn let Calgary protect more NIs, and wouldn't they have been better off taking one of those NIs than Glenn knowing how things worked out? If they can't turn Glenn into anything then yeah they got qb depth, but they got potential issues with a qb controversy and being an expansion team overall quality and depth will be an issue so they kind of need more variety of assets rather than just depth at one position. 

Not sure why this is a big fu to Ottawa. Ottawa did what it took to get the best abs they couldmgetmformtheir club. Good on them.

Maybe their plan is to keep, trade or cut Glenn now but I suspect they will keep them both.

Because they were obviously thinking they could turn around and turn Glenn into viable assets. 

I dunno.. If the bombers  or any other team were in their position, would they not draft the BEST unprotected QB they could to Guarantee they have at least one suitable starting QB?  Then grabbing another future HOF QB in FA only maked them that much more secure at QB??

I'm not sure i buy that they drafted Glenn in order to trade him.. or that they signed Burris just so they could use Glenn as trade bait.  

Maybe they did, but is seems like the least likely situation.  My guess is that they go into camp with all three QBs and see who produces the most with whatever system they run.   One only has to look at our QB situation the last 5 years to realize that if you don't have a CFL quality starting QB your record is gonna be pretty shitty.

it's not that they drafted Glenn with the intention of getting Burris and flipping Glenn, it's that when they started to pursue Burris they felt they could do it. Now they're paying 2 starting qbs, one who is angry to not be the starter and one who hates when someone else is breathing down his neck. The Bombers being the only other team that needed a starting qb coming out and saying "yeah we're sticking with willy" is a big FU to Ottawa cause now they've got their qb controversy and they haven't even hit training camp yet. 

Not sure Ottawa Cares.. They can just CUt Glenn if they want to and its no skin off their back.. Maybe after signing Burris they thought about possibly gettings something for glen via a trade (but what GM wouldn't).

Sounds like sour grapes from up bomber fans.. And i wanted Burris.. But i'm not the slightest bit angry or upset with Ottawa..

Naming Willy the starter before training camp is kinda silly and childish if its just to say FU to ottawa.  Especially since Willy is unproven and will most likely upset Hall / backup QBs.

you don't want to cut glenn though because taking Glenn let Calgary protect more NIs, and wouldn't they have been better off taking one of those NIs than Glenn knowing how things worked out? If they can't turn Glenn into anything then yeah they got qb depth, but they got potential issues with a qb controversy and being an expansion team overall quality and depth will be an issue so they kind of need more variety of assets rather than just depth at one position. 

You're making the assumption that they knew Burris would be available and that they picked Glenn anyway.  That's simply not the case.  They could have guessed the Burris was going to be available, and not picked Glenn, but if it turned out they were wrong, they wouldn't have a starting QB.  Makes more sense to pick Glenn so they know they have a starting QB and play the Burris card later if it comes up.

You're making the assumption that they knew Burris would be available and that they picked Glenn anyway.  That's simply not the case.  They could have guessed the Burris was going to be available, and not picked Glenn, but if it turned out they were wrong, they wouldn't have a starting QB.  Makes more sense to pick Glenn so they know they have a starting QB and play the Burris card later if it comes up.

Reading comprehension is your friend! the bolded is the relevant part, go re-read it then get back to us. 

Pardon me for not going through each layer of the posts and only answering the last 'point'.  If you know they made the best choice with the information they had at the time then the extra available Imports and NI's are red herrings and they make no difference at all to keeping or cutting Glenn.  That decision is based on SMS and if they get any trade offers.

It's basically, a ploy to lower Glenn's price.

I prefer to go with the aforementioned middle finger to Ottawa trying to extort something noteworthy for Glenn.

Yeah. I think this Desjardins way of getting a starter or a high pick from us. I recall he said that an FA was the on;y player we had that he could find on our roster to pick. Hopedully hell will freeze over before he gets what he wants for Glenn from us.

I'd give the REDBLACKS our 3rd round pick or 2nd rounder in 2015 for Glenn, but no way are they getting our first round pick this year.  We have leverage now that we signed Willy as our starter. 

Glenn isn't worth picks from us, if Dejardins believes he can carry both Burris and Glenn then good luck to him.

If you're going to continue the conversation, you might as well answer my question.

would you even read the answer though? your track record on these things is pretty shaky. 

Sometimes I don't read everything you type because you've been wrong so often and your obnoxious too.  

My track record?  I'll put mine against yours any day.  Lets review.  I was against Mack in his last two seasons.  Against the Jade and the Pencer draft picks.  Wanted Laurent instead of Kito because we needed a DT more than yet another young receiver.  Your track record is exactly the opposite.  Loved Mack.  Argued with anyone who didn't like the Jade or the Pencer draft picks.  I can't remember if you wanted Kito or not, but I'm going to guess you supported that move too cuz you loved everything the great and powerful Mack did.

Now on to Glenn.  Please don't trade anything for Glenn.  He will be available later on if we want him for nothing.  Personally, I don't want Glenn at all right now.  Maybe if we start off really badly and we need to change QB's to get some wins after the first 3rd of the season, but not now.

If you're going to continue the conversation, you might as well answer my question.

would you even read the answer though? your track record on these things is pretty shaky. 

Sometimes I don't read everything you type because you've been wrong so often and your obnoxious too.  

My track record?  I'll put mine against yours any day.  Lets review.  I was against Mack in his last two seasons.  Against the Jade and the Pencer draft picks.  Wanted Laurent instead of Kito because we needed a DT more than yet another young receiver.  Your track record is exactly the opposite.  Loved Mack.  Argued with anyone who didn't like the Jade or the Pencer draft picks.  I can't remember if you wanted Kito or not, but I'm going to guess you supported that move too cuz you loved everything the great and powerful Mack did.

lol'd so hard it hurts.

as to Wpg trading for Glenn, i wouldn't do it for more than a 3rd rounder (they can make it a 2nd if Glenn starts a certain number of games)... but i'd still rather try to develop Willy. i just wouldn't ever ant Glenn as my QB.

How do the cherries that you're picking taste? Everyone can play this game, we've all been right and we've all been wrong. 

I never understood why a coach or someone from management would declare a player as your starter in off season. Absolutely ridiculous! If the Bombers aquire Glenn or another veteran it is to be the starter not back up. O'Shea would be screwing Willy over exactly how Ottawa screwed Glenn. Nobody should be considered a starter until after they have earned it in training camp. Instead of this being a big FU to Ottawa, it could end up being considered a big FU to Willy.

How do the cherries that you're picking taste? Everyone can play this game, we've all been right and we've all been wrong. 

Never mind that I was talking about his track record of not actually reading what is written before he spouts off, so it's really a great post because it so fully proves exactly what I'm saying. 

I never understood why a coach or someone from management would declare a player as your starter in off season. Absolutely ridiculous! If the Bombers aquire Glenn or another veteran it is to be the starter not back up. O'Shea would be screwing Willy over exactly how Ottawa screwed Glenn. Nobody should be considered a starter until after they have earned it in training camp. Instead of this being a big FU to Ottawa, it could end up being considered a big FU to Willy.

Unless Willy already knows this.  Notice the hesitation when on Willy's part when they asked him if he was the starter?  Then Walters answer after about how they're always looking to upgrade?  I think O'Shea stated he was the starter to throw off a possibility of another team screwing them over if the Bombers wanted to trade them for a vet.  My own conspiracy theory...I think they told Willy before hand that he was their long term plan, but that they're going to say that Willy is the starter so that they can try and trade for Glenn at a lesser price.  That's why I think they announced Willy as their starter.

Personally, I'm good either way, I think Willy has what it takes even if we don't get Glenn or some other vet.