O'Shea names Drew Willy Bombers starting QB

gbill2004

What else was he supposed to say.................... ?

Collaros hasn't been officially declared the starter, and Edmonton put up the pretense that there was a competition between Reilly and Nichols last year.

Aside from Mike Reilly immediately naming Lefors the starter, its actually quite rare that a young QB is flat out named the starter before TC even if everyone knows the job is his to lose.

O'Shea: "Drew Willy is our starting quarterback."

Walters: "I think my work here is done".

Well hopefully that's not the case and this is just a ploy to lower the asking price for Glenn or any other backup in the league.  I'll be a little disappointed if the Bombers go into training camp without another QB that has a little CFL experience

Is Willy/Hall really any worse than Collaros/LeFevour, Reilly/Nichols or Smith/Marsh? 

What else was he supposed to say.................... ?

Collaros hasn't been officially declared the starter, and Edmonton put up the pretense that there was a competition between Reilly and Nichols last year.

Aside from Mike Reilly immediately naming Lefors the starter, its actually quite rare that a young QB is flat out named the starter before TC even if everyone knows the job is his to lose.

You mean Mike Kelly?

so not best man out of TC gets the Starting job:)

Hope this isn't lefors 2.0

Willy has more talent in his little finger than LeFors ever had.

Not true at all and it wasn't Lefors fault that Kelly ran a crap system.

Don't agree.

Willy has a better arm, better mechanics, and a bigger frame.  Based on raw talent, he's head and shoulders above Lefors.

Doesn't mean Lefors wouldn't have been a decent QB in a better system, but Willy's potential ceiling is way higher.

so not best man out of TC gets the Starting job:)

Hope this isn't lefors 2.0

Willy has more talent in his little finger than LeFors ever had.

Not true at all and it wasn't Lefors fault that Kelly ran a crap system.

I think the other 7 teams in the league agree with Mr. Perfect.  Lefors was never signed anywhere else.

It goes like this: if O'Shea and Walters think Will is the real deal, they will probably bring in a couple of young challengers, maybe even Nichols. If they have reservations about Willy, expect them to bring in Glenn (if he wants to be here). Either way, I hope they didn't make any extravagant promises to Willy that he would start and finish every game that he's well enough to play. If they screw him over, a disgruntled QB is not a productive QB.

Not sure why this is a big fu to Ottawa. Ottawa did what it took to get the best abs they couldmgetmformtheir club. Good on them.

Maybe their plan is to keep, trade or cut Glenn now but I suspect they will keep them both.

Because they were obviously thinking they could turn around and turn Glenn into viable assets. 

Yeah, I'm sure everybody will forget the scene of Desjardins leading Glenn to the stage, have him step up on the podium, then in a guise of "great asset management," kick the box from under Glenn and have Smiley take his place, for oodles more money.

And, by the way Kevin, no hard feelings.

And this would be Kharma management  - trade Glenn,  and then at start of season…..Burris gets 9 gamed.

Not sure why this is a big fu to Ottawa. Ottawa did what it took to get the best abs they couldmgetmformtheir club. Good on them.

Maybe their plan is to keep, trade or cut Glenn now but I suspect they will keep them both.

Because they were obviously thinking they could turn around and turn Glenn into viable assets. 

I dunno.. If the bombers  or any other team were in their position, would they not draft the BEST unprotected QB they could to Guarantee they have at least one suitable starting QB?  Then grabbing another future HOF QB in FA only maked them that much more secure at QB??

I'm not sure i buy that they drafted Glenn in order to trade him.. or that they signed Burris just so they could use Glenn as trade bait.  

Maybe they did, but is seems like the least likely situation.  My guess is that they go into camp with all three QBs and see who produces the most with whatever system they run.   One only has to look at our QB situation the last 5 years to realize that if you don't have a CFL quality starting QB your record is gonna be pretty shitty.

I dunno.. If the bombers  or any other team were in their position, would they not draft the BEST unprotected QB they could to Guarantee they have at least one suitable starting QB?  Then grabbing another future HOF QB in FA only maked them that much more secure at QB??

I'm not sure i buy that they drafted Glenn in order to trade him.. or that they signed Burris just so they could use Glenn as trade bait.  

Maybe they did, but is seems like the least likely situation.  My guess is that they go into camp with all three QBs and see who produces the most with whatever system they run.   One only has to look at our QB situation the last 5 years to realize that if you don't have a CFL quality starting QB your record is gonna be pretty shitty.

it's not that they drafted Glenn with the intention of getting Burris and flipping Glenn, it's that when they started to pursue Burris they felt they could do it. Now they're paying 2 starting qbs, one who is angry to not be the starter and one who hates when someone else is breathing down his neck. The Bombers being the only other team that needed a starting qb coming out and saying "yeah we're sticking with willy" is a big FU to Ottawa cause now they've got their qb controversy and they haven't even hit training camp yet. 

it's not that they drafted Glenn with the intention of getting Burris and flipping Glenn, it's that when they started to pursue Burris they felt they could do it. Now they're paying 2 starting qbs, one who is angry to not be the starter and one who hates when someone else is breathing down his neck. The Bombers being the only other team that needed a starting qb coming out and saying "yeah we're sticking with willy" is a big FU to Ottawa cause now they've got their qb controversy and they haven't even hit training camp yet.

Yup.. It's going to be an interesting start to the campaign in Ottawa at this rate..

Not sure Ottawa Cares.. They can just CUt Glenn if they want to and its no skin off their back.. Maybe after signing Burris they thought about possibly gettings something for glen via a trade (but what GM wouldn't).

Sounds like sour grapes from up bomber fans.. And i wanted Burris.. But i'm not the slightest bit angry or upset with Ottawa..

Naming Willy the starter before training camp is kinda silly and childish if its just to say FU to ottawa.  Especially since Willy is unproven and will most likely upset Hall / backup QBs.

its really inconsequential in the grand scheme of things..