O'Shea names Drew Willy Bombers starting QB

gbill2004

Rookie head coaching mistake....again....wait....all we hire are rookies.

We are a crap team, and we hire an unproven QB and name him starter with no competition.

I sure HOPE it's a ploy to lower Glenn's price...because if its not, we suck.

Wow, seriously, go take a valium or something.

He's the starter today.  might not be the starter tomorrow.  But probably will be.  Its like hockey - goalies need to know they are the starter.  I have no problem with it.  And I dont even think we're after Glenn.  Glenn wont want to be a back up and all it does is create a scenario where a certain segment of the fanbase will be calling for Glenn to start the moment Willy struggles.

Doesnt it depend on what you want that second QB spot to be?  Are you looking to develop a QB there or have a dependable back up?  I think Max Hall can serve that role.  If they feel they need a veteran who can be a calming influence and mentor the young QB's, then fine, but that doesnt sound like Glenn.

If you're going to continue the conversation, you might as well answer my question.

would you even read the answer though? your track record on these things is pretty shaky. 

Sometimes I don't read everything you type because you've been wrong so often and your obnoxious too.  

My track record?  I'll put mine against yours any day.  Lets review.  I was against Mack in his last two seasons.  Against the Jade and the Pencer draft picks.  Wanted Laurent instead of Kito because we needed a DT more than yet another young receiver.  Your track record is exactly the opposite.  Loved Mack.  Argued with anyone who didn't like the Jade or the Pencer draft picks.  I can't remember if you wanted Kito or not, but I'm going to guess you supported that move too cuz you loved everything the great and powerful Mack did.

Well you once again proved that reading isn't your strong point, but here's the point you're missing, I didn't have a horse in the Laurent or Poblah race because unlike you I am not so arrogant as to even attempt to rate players I haven't seen play. Same goes for draft picks. I don't start judging players until I've seen them play, it is the only thing that matters.  But again, that's not what I was talking about here, I was talking about how you don't read before you start talking. 

I never understood why a coach or someone from management would declare a player as your starter in off season. Absolutely ridiculous! If the Bombers aquire Glenn or another veteran it is to be the starter not back up. O'Shea would be screwing Willy over exactly how Ottawa screwed Glenn. Nobody should be considered a starter until after they have earned it in training camp. Instead of this being a big FU to Ottawa, it could end up being considered a big FU to Willy.

You don't pay a guy double of what your last years backup made to sit on a bench. Don't you remember the last few years of EVERYONE grilling Burke for being wishy washy and unclear on who this teams long term starter will be?

The Bombers should save their money with Glenn and rather spend it on up coming free agent o-linemen like Bourke. I would have no problem over paying for a player like Bourke.

Andrew Jones and Wyane Smith are still on the market as well.  I don't know how good they are but I do know that both of them have started at some point. 

Without an offencive line it doesn't matter who is starting at QB.

With a serviceable O-line I think Willy can be very successful.

On the Poblah matter: To blame Mack for picking Poblah is revisionist history.  Every GM in the league would have used their first pick on Poblah if given the chance. 

I think the Bombers would be crazy to give up the #2 pick for Glenn.  But I also think they would be crazy to not entertain the thought of acquiring him for a reasonable price.  Given that Willy is almost completely unproven and if he sucks we are in big doo-doo yet again.  

On the Poblah matter: To blame Mack for picking Poblah is revisionist history.  Every GM in the league would have used their first pick on Poblah if given the chance. 

Agreed. Barker even tried to conditionally neg list him in case it was ruled Poblah was an import.

Agreed. Barker even tried to conditionally neg list him in case it was ruled Poblah was an import.

Yup Poblah would've went number one overall if he was in the draft.