CFL schedule expected to be revealed next week

Jacquie

From the Sun:

The moment many CFL fans wait for each off-season will arrive next week.

CFL commissioner Mark Cohon said Thursday the 2014 schedule will be released early next week after the “finishing touches” are put on it this weekend.

Since there are nine teams and an 18-game schedule, each squad will have two bye weeks. There will still likely be four games each week, with one team sitting on the sidelines.

That also means one week had to be added to the regular season. The 102nd Grey Cup will be played on Sunday, Nov. 30, at B.C. Place, which is a week later than normal.

Next week will be busy for the CFL if it plans to also release its schedule, as free agency kicks off on Tuesday at noon EST.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/02/06/cfl-schedule-expected-to-be-revealed-next-week

This is excellent. Extra bye week = healthier players.

Downside is the season is a week longer; not good for a Winnipeg Grey Cup in 2015, weather-wise.

Not much of a difference in the weather for Winnipeg between Nov 23 vs. Nov 30.  CFL should move the season start up to mid - June and have the Grey Cup game the second week of November and be done with it.

I think there's a good chance we get 6 or even 7 home games by mid-September with Ottawa and Hamilton playing their first 3 - 4 weeks on the road due to stadium construction.  That's of course, before it becomes official that Hamilton's stadium will not be finished this summer or even this year in which case they will play several home games at Guelph once again.  All those warm weather games should mitigate some of the losses in the season ticket base.

Why will the season be longer? I thought that was the reason they kept the 2 bye weeks in the sked. Knowing they would have 9 teams and the needs for 2 byes.

There aren't 2 bye weeks back-to-back like in previous years. Every team will have 2 bye weeks but they are staggered throughout the season. The schedule will be set up like it was when the Renegades were playing: http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/year/2005/time_zone/0

Why will the season be longer? I thought that was the reason they kept the 2 bye weeks in the sked. Knowing they would have 9 teams and the needs for 2 byes.

There aren't 2 bye weeks back-to-back like in previous years. Every team will have 2 bye weeks but they are staggered throughout the season. The schedule will be set up like it was when the Renegades were playing: http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/year/2005/time_zone/0

No it won't be the same as when the Renegades played, and that's why they need an extra week.  There won't be any teams that have to play 2 games in a week because of the schedule imbalance.  To balance it, everyone gets 2 bye weeks.

Schedule will likely need to move up a week in future years, unless they are willing to have a December Grey Cup.

No it won't be the same as when the Renegades played, and that's why they need an extra week.  There won't be any teams that have to play 2 games in a week because of the schedule imbalance.  To balance it, everyone gets 2 bye weeks.

Schedule will likely need to move up a week in future years, unless they are willing to have a December Grey Cup.

Everyone got 2 bye weeks and it was a 20 week schedule when the Renegades played.

I find it ludicrous that they continue to play so late. Would you rather watch football in June or November? When does the NHL end, first week of June? The CFL regular season should begin the moment the NHL season ends.

I just don't get it either... All teams would get better crowds if they moved the season up.