Bombers hire Queens DC Pat Tracey as Special Teams Coordinator

gbill2004

Does anyone else get the sense that Walters or O'Shea have already spoken to Collaros and a deal is done? Walters seems quite confident that there is no need to give up even a late round draft pick for early rights to talk to Collaros. If there was any doubt, considering how much we need Collaros, you'd think Walters would give up a 6th round draft pick for early rights to Collaros.

I thought Walters had hedged his bets by saying we'd be looking at Drew Willy as well?

Still, I think some team will cough up a draft pick to talk to Collaros

When did Walters say we'd be looking at Drew Willy?
Walters hasn't because that would be tampering.

Exactly my point.

Seeing it written in a message forum and Walters actually saying it are two very different things.

This was from an outside source.

I wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't.

Suffice to say a number of us saw the same thing but if you don't believe it…well then, you don't believe it.

This is not how I saw it, but it's probably from the same CFL "source":

"In fact, one CFL source Wednesday said the quarterbacks the Bombers are interested in are very likely Collaros and Willy, with Burris as the wild card."

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/12/11/winnipeg-blue-bombers-in-a-holding-pattern-when-it-comes-to-acquiring-quarterback

Reports out of Hamilton are that if Burris doesn't re-sign, Austin is comfortable moving forward with Lefevour as their starter.

and I wish them all the best in that. That being said, if we go with Willy and/or Collaros are we really that much more ahead in terms of experience? I guess we'll see. I'd rather have Collaros right now than Lefevour.

even if we get collaros, i don't mind if can get burris also.

I don't see Hank taking a back-up role, and it's time to give Collaros a shot at starting, especially if we give him starter money to come over here.

Exactly.  Hank won't take a backup role until he starts going downhill.  And after this years Grey Cup appearance, I don't see that happening.  Someone will want him to start somewhere.  And Collaros won't take a backup role either from what I can tell.  If he's trying out for the NFL he obviously thinks he's ready for the main event.

I don't see Hank taking a back-up role, and it's time to give Collaros a shot at starting, especially if we give him starter money to come over here.

Exactly.  Hank won't take a backup role until he starts going downhill.  And after this years Grey Cup appearance, I don't see that happening.  Someone will want him to start somewhere.  And Collaros won't take a backup role either from what I can tell.  If he's trying out for the NFL he obviously thinks he's ready for the main event.

even if he goes downhill Hank won't want a backup role cause he won't accept that it's his play that's faltered. Guy is the best team mate in the world when things are going right, but when things aren't he's in it only for himself. Real POS that guy.

If Hamilton doesn't want him back and if Collaros is the starter here Burris won't have a starting job anywhere. With that being said, I don't really want him period, and especially not if we bring in Collaros.

if we get collaros and every team are set on their starting to qb, burris has no option but to get a backup role.

Or sit tight to become a midseason injury / desperation signing guy like Michael Bishop.

The QB supply in the CFL is still thin enough that it's unthinkable that someone with Burris' pedigree will be sidelined for long, even if he doesn't go to training camp.  Say Edmonton loses Riley or BC loses Lulay for the season, I bet you'd see an unemployed Hank get employed quick.

if we get collaros and every team are set on their starting to qb, burris has no option but to get a backup role.

Or sit tight to become a midseason injury / desperation signing guy like Michael Bishop.

The QB supply in the CFL is still thin enough that it's unthinkable that someone with Burris' pedigree will be sidelined for long, even if he doesn't go to training camp.  Say Edmonton loses Riley or BC loses Lulay for the season, I bet you'd see an unemployed Hank get employed quick.

sit and he wont collect a paycheck. injuries will come but when?  sign for backup role and collect a paycheck every week.

Honestly, in the event that there isn't a starting job for Burris sucking up his pride and being the back up/mentor to BLM is easily the best career move he could make.

I would say Montreal would be a better situation for Hank if Hamilton moves on and Wpg signs Collaros. Willy will also be a back up where ever he goes. He may very well choose to stay in Sask and continue to develop.

lebra_all_weather_car_bra_020309.jpg   …………………. c450018a.jpg

I think Henry Burris and Kent Austin are playing a mild kind of chicken to see who blinks first.

Henry definitely wants to be the starter and based on his past record, he should be.

He who shaves infrequently, is hesitant to anoint Mr. B with such title, if only for SMS implications, and is playing his QB cards close to the vest.

So they wait and the sand keeps filling the bottom half of the hourglass. 

Personally, I think Austin would be foolish to let him "walk". 

That 'vet' presence isn't easy to replace.

But Austin does appear to be the type that does things his way, so it still could get interesting.

33 more days 'til Free Agency...

*Oh, and in this version of 'chicken', can you guess which car Henry is driving?

If Kerry Joseph can hang around the CFL for a decade after he should  have left then Burris should find a place to play as well.

Yeah Hank will find a home somewhere, but it will depend on whether he is comfortable sitting behind a younger QB who a team wants to develop. If his massive ego can take that, then he'll be fine. He'll still be raking in $250K or so, can buy a lot of women's undergarments with that.

Speaking of inflation - I was watching the 1984 Grey Cup and the announcers were saying that Dieter Brock had turned down $250K a year with the Ti-Cats to make the jump to the NFL, where he was thinking he'd get more than that. $250K in 1984 - QB salaries haven't really gone up much in 30 years.

If Kerry Joseph can hang around the CFL for a decade after he should  have left then Burris should find a place to play as well.

Yeah Hank will find a home somewhere, but it will depend on whether he is comfortable sitting behind a younger QB who a team wants to develop. If his massive ego can take that, then he'll be fine. He'll still be raking in $250K or so, can buy a lot of women's undergarments with that.

Speaking of inflation - I was watching the 1984 Grey Cup and the announcers were saying that Dieter Brock had turned down $250K a year with the Ti-Cats to make the jump to the NFL, where he was thinking he'd get more than that. $250K in 1984 - QB salaries haven't really gone up much in 30 years.

When you consider what guys like Flutie were rumoured to make in the 90s they may have even gone down in the last 20 years, isn't that something?

17, think about this. Quarterback salaries in the CFL have actually gone down with inflation. How much more would $250,000 buy in 1984 than $250,000 today? Hard to believe that a guy like Joe Montana in San Francisco was making just a bit more than Dieter Brock in 1984 when he was in Hamilton.

When you consider what guys like Flutie were rumoured to make in the 90s they may have even gone down in the last 20 years, isn't that something?

I thought Flutie was pulling in around $500K or more in his hey-day, though I think he got stiffed by the Stamps when Ryckman didn't pay him. That was the year I almost ran over Flutie with my car in the University of Calgary parking lot. Ah good times...good times...

I thought Flutie was pulling in around $500K or more in his hey-day, though I think he got stiffed by the Stamps when Ryckman didn't pay him. That was the year I almost ran over Flutie with my car in the University of Calgary parking lot. Ah good times...good times...

Actually Doug's highest salary was a million when he played for the stamps. I think that was for his second or third year.

Actually Doug's highest salary was a million when he played for the stamps. I think that was for his second or third year.

Flutie had a personal services contact with Larry Ryckman on top of his CFL contract with the Stamps. Something like $250,000 from the team & Larry was supposed to pay him $750,000 himself. As it turned out, Ryckman stiffed Flutie & he never saw a cent of the money. Ryckman stiffed a lot of people & got into trouble with the AB Securities Commission in the mid to late 90's & left for AZ where he still is today from what I understand.