Bombers hire Queens DC Pat Tracey as Special Teams Coordinator

gbill2004

I don't know what to think.  Don't know enough about him.  Seems like a good candidate, but lots of people have nice bios that aren't great coaches.

Also we are really, really Canadian as an organization.

The more I think about it, the more I love how Canadian of an organization we are becoming under Walters/O'Shea.  Too much is made of American players and coaches being superior to Canadian players/coaches.  Canadian coaches and former CFL'ers understand the nuances of the game.  It's also an opportunity to gain an edge from what might be an overlooked area... the best Canadian coaches. 

That's why I don't think the jump from CIS DC to CFL STC is going to be difficult for Tracey to overcome.  Especially with Mike O'Shea at HC as as ST resource.

I don't expect our DC to be an off-the-board hire, or necessarily a Canadian.  But when you're trying to rebuild both an organization and its perception around the CFL... you have to take some chances along with your safer hires.  These are calculated risks, and I'm optimistic that Walters is at least getting good, respected football people.

So off the top of my head we have:

CEO - Canadian - Rookie

GM - Canadian - Rookie

Head Coach - Canadian - Rookie

AGM - American (Danny Mac)

AGM - Canadian - Rookie

OC - Canadian

ST - Canadian 

WRC - Canadian

I don't know much about Drew Morris or Dave Siddall but if we hire a Beaver and a Caribou to be mascots I don't think we can get any more Canadian!

So off the top of my head we have:

CEO - Canadian - Rookie

GM - Canadian - Rookie

Head Coach - Canadian - Rookie

AGM - American (Danny Mac)

AGM - Canadian - Rookie

OC - Canadian

ST - Canadian 

WRC - Canadian

I don't know much about Drew Morris or Dave Siddall but if we hire a Beaver and a Caribou to be mascots I don't think we can get any more Canadian!

Goveia is not a rookie either. Different title but same job details.

I'm kind of surprised Tracy wasn't brought in to be a defensive coach/co-ordinator. His defenses have been pretty good.

Thats what I thought also.  Bringing in guys who have experience in a few different roles might be a good thing but might also cause conflict as to who should be doing what role.  Examples - MB being the OC but has past HC exp, O'shea being HC but has past ST exp, Tracey being ST but having DC exp etc. 

Lots of CFL assistant coaches make lateral moves, so why not? Kris Sweet moved from the Stamps to the Riders as OL coach. Give Steinhauer a title like Associate Head Coach or a role in scouting on top of his OC duties similar what the Argos did with Chris Jones when he bolted there from the Stamps after the 2011 season. Then they could justify  it as a step up.