Bombers hire Queens DC Pat Tracey as Special Teams Coordinator

gbill2004

When you consider what guys like Flutie were rumoured to make in the 90s they may have even gone down in the last 20 years, isn't that something?

I thought Flutie was pulling in around $500K or more in his hey-day, though I think he got stiffed by the Stamps when Ryckman didn't pay him. That was the year I almost ran over Flutie with my car in the University of Calgary parking lot. Ah good times...good times...

Actually Doug's highest salary was a million when he played for the stamps. I think that was for his second or third year.

Flutie had a personal services contact with Larry Ryckman on top of his CFL contract with the Stamps. Something like $250,000 from the team & Larry was supposed to pay him $750,000 himself. As it turned out, Ryckman stiffed Flutie & he never saw a cent of the money. Ryckman stiffed a lot of people & got into trouble with the AB Securities Commission in the mid to late 90's & left for AZ where he still is today from what I understand.

I still remember the story about Ryckman taking the Stamps out for dinner after the 1992 Grey Cup and telling the players to eat whatever they wanted. Then the bill came and Larry's credit card was rejected, so the players had to pay for the dinner. I believe Flutie ended up paying for it in the end. What a joke. Calgary really went through some dark times back then as a franchise, good to see them now in strong hands with good management.