Kyle Walters Expansion Draft Presser

Jpan85

-- Protected a handful of free agents

-- Said the lengthy amount of free agents they have was done on purpose but he feels like teams will resign a majority of those names once the draft is over

-- Not sure if Desjardins will actually avoid free agents, he mentioned that it thought it was strange Desjardins has emphasized it so frequently in the media.

-- Not going to "sell the farm" if he thinks they can just as easily sign a guy they want on February 15th

-- Asked if chances of bringing Henoc back are lower now with the NFL interest, answered yes.

-- Negotiation list draft was today at 12 PM

-- Coaching staff coming along, says O'Shea has been given full power to choose his own staff in entirety.

Kyle also mentioned:

- All teams, not just the Bombers are laying low, as to trades, 'til after the draft.

- Once Ottawa names their QBs, the rest of the QB questions and answers will follow.

- Factors such as age, salaries, injuries, and how 'good' a player is went into our protected list.

- Trades may occur after Mon. when Ottawa has their roster.

- Stated that Ottawa will just announce their roster, not piecemeal.

- Winnipeg does not get other teams protected lists, just pretty well had to figure them out.

- Winnipeg will get their QB even if they have to wait 'til FAgency. They will not do anything just to "appease" the media or fans, just do what's best for the club with the least risk. (i.e.. trading an asset for a FA who they might not be able to sign.)

- Expect to get some players to fill the back end of the roster through the neg. list draft today. (think Taylor Renaud type of guy)

Mike O. is busy working on his staff and I found it informative to know that he has full control on who he talks to and hires.

* I also was impressed at the apparent work ethic and general attitude of young Mr. Walters.

-- Not sure if Desjardins will actually avoid free agents, he mentioned that it thought it was strange Desjardins has emphasized it so frequently in the media.

My thought through this whole "process" as well.  If they don't take free agents, they'll have a roster full of crap.  Even if they can't get some guys signed, they can cause a whole lot of chaos and end up with some extra draft picks or neg listers by drafting pending free agents.  Also doesn't make sense to proclaim the lack of interest in free agents if true, because you just skewed everyone's protection list against you.

We're in very good hands. It was evident when he took over in August he had a VERY good grasp on things, and it's more evident now.

I'd give it a few more moves before you say he's got a very good grasp on things.  Not saying he doesn't, but let's see how things shake out a bit, eh?  He is saying all the right things. 

I'd say we'll know by July or August 2014 if he's got a pretty good grasp on things actually, but I like him and what he's doing so far.

Exactly.  Right now, what moves has he done, really?  Buck Pierce trade?  Hall to Sask for Neufeld and a pick swap?  Lots of pressers?  Good HC pick up? 

Anything else?  (genuinely wondering if I've missed anything major...)

Give the guy a chance, holy smokes. What's he been the GM here since August? Only the full time GM for 2 weeks?

Exactly.  Right now, what moves has he done, really?  Buck Pierce trade?  Hall to Sask for Neufeld and a pick swap?  Lots of pressers?  Good HC pick up? 

What else would have preferred him to do in this short time? We can only judge him on his actions.  Right now the sample size is small, but it is positive.

Yes...you've missing all the moves that have gone on behind the scenes. You've missed the scouting department upgrade...etc. etc. etc. It is obvious you have no idea what a GM does on a daily basis.

I like his straight forward nature.  (I'm going to paraphrase here)

We tell guys that they are in danger every year to loosing out to someone younger and cheaper, so they better work hard to justify their spot and their salary. 

No BS there.

I like it too, but isn't that exactly the same thing that Doug Berry got raked over the coals on these forums for a few years back?

Exactly. Right now, what moves has he done, really? Buck Pierce trade? Hall to Sask for Neufeld and a pick swap? Lots of pressers? Good HC pick up?

Anything else? (genuinely wondering if I've missed anything major...)

Yes...you've missing all the moves that have gone on behind the scenes. You've missed the scouting department upgrade...etc. etc. etc. It is obvious you have no idea what a GM does on a daily basis.
**** right off, you're entirely missing the point. So you know how well he's done on all those behind the scenes decisions?

I like his straight forward nature.  (I'm going to paraphrase here)

We tell guys that they are in danger every year to loosing out to someone younger and cheaper, so they better work hard to justify their spot and their salary. 

No BS there.

I like it too, but isn't that exactly the same thing that Doug Berry got raked over the coals on these forums for a few years back?

Except if Walters gets angry he'll be shielded from the cameras on the sidelines unlike Berry was. That's what turned a lot of fans against Doug. He was explosive on the bench. Got tired of seeing that constantly from a HC. Coach the players up not to make mistakes. Don't ratch out all the time.

We're in very good hands. It was evident when he took over in August he had a VERY good grasp on things, and it's more evident now.

I'd give it a few more moves before you say he's got a very good grasp on things.  Not saying he doesn't, but let's see how things shake out a bit, eh?  He is saying all the right things. 

Give me ONE move he's made since mack was fired that was bad.