What should we do with Goltz

Brandon

Part of me wants to go through this year's stat packs and total up Goltz's red zone numbers.

Up to late September I know the Bombers had one of the highest TD ratios in the red zone in the whole league. When Goltz was in it was automatic six points inside the 5. Remember in 2010 when getting in from the one was a dicey situation.

Goltz, for some reason, soured burke and bellfuelle.. not sure what he did (or didnt) do but i do still think he could be salvagable.. he excels at short yardage and qb keeper/sneaks.. he is solid as a QB for running plays and handling an offense.. id like to ser him behind an oline that gives him a bit of time to get set and run the plays... he is athletic enough and physically gifted enough to have some success imo. arm strength is good but accuracy is suspect (due to being scared shitless?)

would be a shame to lose him outright i think yup..

IMO, Goltz will be traded (with another player like Corey Watson?) to Toronto for Collaros or released and the Bombers will be giving away a QB who still has some potential in this league if provided with a good QB coach and supporting cast.  He still was 3rd in the league in rushing TDs while playing less than half of the games, and even though his passing was inconsistent, he has size, arm strength and athleticism - which are three things you can't teach. 

if you actually think that the Argos (who have 4 backups, all of whom are more promising than Goltz) would trade for Goltz... i'm petitioning Rich to change your userID to Wsniffsglue01.

Goltz is not a great scrambler when the pocket breaks down. He can't elude tacklers but effective as a short yardage qb. Unfortunately, that's not enough to keep him around. He's been with the Bombers for 4 seasons & his shortcomings as a passer were evident. He has trouble reading defenses. There are better FA qbs around than him out there. As I said, I believe he'll be released.

The total ineptitude of this organization.... to find and develop young QB's continues, it seems forever.......we finished investing 3-4 years on Elliott, Brink and Goltz....and currently end up with Boltus....

Gawd...

That said, playing Boltus in short yardage/red zone situations.....is yet another clear reason to dump the HC/OC, moving forward....

I still think he's one of the best short yardage guys I've seen in a long time.  If we used him as a 3rd string and brought him in to do that kind of work I think it would help us a lot.  Boltus showed just how bad he was at...well...anything.  Even Brink sucked at short yardage compared to Goltz.  And if he was trained by a QB coach I think he could even be used for a fake.  Not knowing if Goltz is coming in to run or pass would be a huge benefit.  He wouldn't even need to be a great QB, just someone who can do a quick run or fake for us when we need it.  I personally don't think he's as bad as he looked out there near the end when they stopped using him.  I think MB favored is little useless puppet Boltus and both he and Burke tossed Goltz away because he wasn't the Reilly caliber QB Burke thought he was going to be.

I still think he's one of the best short yardage guys I've seen in a long time.  If we used him as a 3rd string and brought him in to do that kind of work I think it would help us a lot.  Boltus showed just how bad he was at...well...anything.  Even Brink sucked at short yardage compared to Goltz.  And if he was trained by a QB coach I think he could even be used for a fake.  Not knowing if Goltz is coming in to run or pass would be a huge benefit.  He wouldn't even need to be a great QB, just someone who can do a quick run or fake for us when we need it.  I personally don't think he's as bad as he looked out there near the end when they stopped using him.  I think MB favored is little useless puppet Boltus and both he and Burke tossed Goltz away because he wasn't the Reilly caliber QB Burke thought he was going to be.

There's no doubt some potential there.  My biggest concern with Goltz is that accuracy doesn't come overnight.  And he's already been "developing" for 3 years. 

Goltz had enough chances to show that he is not as good as most backups in the league at the moment. To keep him around for red zone plays, shows a lack of being able to provide a suitable red zone offence for any quarterback on the roster.

Question though, would those other backups have developed and looked good with the coaching this team had? That's why it's an unfair comparison. Goltz did have some good moments and is quite effective in certain packages. Given all the other issues on the team I think it's very unfair to the kid to write him off as useless. His CFL career is likely done just because that's how it goes for young qbs but that doesn't make it a fair comparison. 

I would have no problem keeping him as the third stringer if a better option is readily apparent.

And wasnt the final straw for the coaches when Goltz was running and had a shot at a first down and hit the turf early?

That's why he has been in Burke's dog house. That was brutal that he did that.

Part of me wants to go through this year's stat packs and total up Goltz's red zone numbers.

Up to late September I know the Bombers had one of the highest TD ratios in the red zone in the whole league. When Goltz was in it was automatic six points inside the 5. Remember in 2010 when getting in from the one was a dicey situation.

Goltz's redzone numbers are misleading.  The fact he barely made it to the red zone at all in every single one of his games provides enough of a sample as to what kind of a QB he is - a bad one.  He will be released.  Another team might pick him up as a third stringer, but he won't last long there either.  Will go the way of Joey Elliott and Brink.

Will go the way of Joey Elliott.

He'll wind up as third string with the Lions and then have everyone here ***** and moan all next season about how great he was and wishing he were still here?

Haha.  Well, not everyone kbf.  Just certain posters.  Elliott's only there because of the injuries to the other QBs.  Wally just wanted someone with any experience to fill in the third string position..even it it's a qb who craps the bed every second game like Eliott.

Goltz can't live the button-down life like you guys. He wants it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, he might offend a few of the bluenoses with his cocky stride and musky odors - oh, he'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Justin Goltz?"

Goltz can't live the button-down life like you guys. He wants it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, he might offend a few of the bluenoses with his cocky stride and musky odors - oh, he'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Justin Goltz?"

Een the CFL, first you get da suger. Den you get de money. Den you get de power. Den you get de weemen.

Hit the road Goltz

And don't you come back

No more, no more, no more, no more

Hit the road Goltz and don't you come back no more.

Oh coach, oh coach don't you treat me so mean

You're the meanest head coach that I've ever seen

I guess if you say so, I gotta pack my things and go.

That's right, hit the road Goltz

And don't you come back

Oh coach, oh coach don't you treat me this way

Cuz I'll be back on my feet someday

Don't care if you do cuz it's understood you may run short yardage

But your throwing's no good.

Well, I guess if you say so

I better pack my things and go.

That's right. hit the road Goltz and don't you come back

Well...

(Don't you come back no more)...

Uh, what you say?

I don't understand...

I'll learn to throw,coach.

I won't wear cuff links.

I thought I had the first down.

Well, I got acting at least

Be a little more sympathetic if he hadn't beaked off to the press ike he did. I think that did more to piss off Burke than his play.

He will end up somewhere else as their 3rd. Doubt he stays here unless the incoming HC sees something he likes.

He didn't do much beaking off, he mostly just told the truth, and the fact that the coach holds a grudge because of that is just more evidence that the coach has no place being a head coach. 

Be a little more sympathetic if he hadn't beaked off to the press ike he did. I think that did more to piss off Burke than his play.

He will end up somewhere else as their 3rd. Doubt he stays here unless the incoming HC sees something he likes.

He didn't do much beaking off, he mostly just told the truth, and the fact that the coach holds a grudge because of that is just more evidence that the coach has no place being a head coach. 

He could have told it in a better way. But yeah, he's a young kid talking before thinking so, not the end of the world I know. He will learn to not do that in the future.

But I agree that Burkes response spoke volumes about Burke. Especially with how he was so quick to toss people under Mr. Greyhound.