What should we do with Goltz

Brandon

There is talent there.  Particularly in short yardage.

There is talent there.  Particularly in short yardage.

Is that a backhanded compliment? ;)

Not backhanded at all.  Boltus failed miserably as short-yardage, along with other aspects.  Goltz was a bright spot in short yardage IMHO, not a slight, a compliment.  Should have added the name Goltz anywhere in that original statement, it would have been a bit more clear.

This is exactly why many of were upset, that a proven short-yardage QB, Goltz, was ignored in order for the Coach to prove a point, and ignore the obvious choice, in favour of the "I'm the HC -look at my power" choice, even after it was clearly evident, and even after many questioned why the switch wasn't being made, he still stuck to that stupid decision.

I guess that Goltz burned his bridges with the coaching staff. There was a comment by Jim Toth earlier in the year where he said the guy pouted, wouldn't listen to his coaches, turned & walked away from them mid sentence so his attitude was bad after he was removed as a starting qb. And that his teammates lost respect for him. Now maybe Ricky Ray or Hank Burris can get away with that but someone like Goltz should have realized that what was happening to him is part of being a pro football player & handled it a lot better. Disrespecting his coaches was a huge mistake. Win or lose players still have to respect them & respect goes both ways. Burke should have released him if he & the coaches were so unhappy with him but I think he was kept around because the coaches felt the fourth qb we picked up from the Riders wasn't ready to play. If Hall was hurt then they'd need Goltz to play in relief. To me, that was their logic for not cutting him. But yeah, the coaches definetly sent a message to the guy to humble him, pretty obvious.

The coaches sent a message alright, the message was "we have no idea what we're doing here" If Goltz pissed them off that much he absolutely should have been released, otherwise you use him in situations where he is the better option. It's just one of many reasons why burke has no business being a head coach. Talks a good game but does nothing to back that up. 

Won't argue with what you say 17. You're right on everything you say. Burke's gotta go. But hard lesson for Goltz. I think if he ever gets a chance to start again on another CFL team he probably has learned a valuable lesson. As bad as Burke treated him, he can't treat his coaches like that. So, he had a big hand into what happened to him.

I think that had to do with Burke saying Goltz was named starter and then 1 or 2 games later they change their minds.  That's why he was so pissed at them.

And I wouldn't put Elliott and Goltz in the same boat.  Goltz may be great short yardage, but he's not close to being as good as Elliott.  Not that it matters any more.

Is the Goltz experiment done or do you think he was given a raw deal?

Clearly he looked good early on doing his little red zone packages and taking off with the ball.

Mid season he looked dreadful passing for under 150 yards.

End of the year Boltus was getting game time and it was awful all while the coach didn't even consider using him.

Does this guy have any upside, have we seen enough from him? Should he be back next training camp to compete?

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately for Goltz he is in the same predicament as Burke. Regardless of his potential, if we are serious/commited in moving forward in creating a new, diffirent type of environment, we simply can't have him around due to the baggage, his fault or not.  

I don't think its the same with a qb, a player can change and a player really only can hurt himself if he does bad while a bad coach can sink a full team

Agree, good point. However, regardless of his level of impact to the team compared to the coach, the baggage he brings has to be disposed of. Unfair, maybe. But, remarkably coming from a guy like me, it's the unfortunate but needed decision in trying to run a successful business. Athletes now this, because most of them always call their vocation a business.