GDT 3 pm: Victory Day

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Would be silly to cut a better player because a guy was on the neg list for a long time.

Some guys especially qbs need time to adjust to the pro game. If that’s all they think he needs, with his upside, it’s well worth keeping him around. 

Personally the top of the cut list would include Blackmon, vlaghionos, kornelson and a db or two. If you don’t cut mastro I’d suspend sheahan and let mastro punt next game. 
 Seems like we have a few spots that’d be easy to free up. Leroux could be sent back to college as well. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Some guys especially qbs need time to adjust to the pro game. If that’s all they think he needs, with his upside, it’s well worth keeping him around. 

Personally the top of the cut list would include Blackmon, vlaghionos, kornelson and a db or two. If you don’t cut mastro I’d suspend sheahan and let mastro punt next game. 
 Seems like we have a few spots that’d be easy to free up. Leroux could be sent back to college as well. 

Leroux is already confirmed to be going back to school. He's just here for the experience.

8 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Its too bad Rod Black isn't still around if a guy named Moses ends up patrolling the bombers defense. There's a lot of material there. 

I can't imagine Barriere has any way of winning the number 3 job after that game. Both the fact that Wilson looked solid and in control and Barriere while showing some athletic flashes looked rather awful in the the passing game. I would imagine most of next game will be dedicated to getting Zach ready and giving a few extra reps to Streveler.  How much opportunity will Barriere even have to redeem himself?

At this point i think Cruickshank is probably in line for the return job. He didn't do anything on returns but nobody else flew off the page. I love Cruickshank's college highlight package and the bombers used him on offense. He got a sweep and a couple catches. The main separator right now is that he seems to have the potential to do more than just return kicks or at least the bombers seem to think so. 

Chauncy Rivers has to get some credit for making a sack. I like his size and lets face it his number of 56 at that position might be an omen.

In terms of potential dev roster guys i thought Hackett looked pretty good to me if there's still room in the CFL for 5 foot 7 dbs. 

Barriere's resume ought to get him one more audition, but he is in tough competition. He may be one of those players with a star-studded resume who just doesn't make the transition.

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Barriere's resume ought to get him one more audition, but he is in tough competition. He may be one of those players with a star-studded resume who just doesn't make the transition.

Or like Adams and others. Sits for a year or 2. Why ppl pretending QBs aren’t a huge problem in the cfl? Cuz it is. Teams need to develop their own guys cuz the vets ain’t around no more. Harris in Sask is 40 ish ffs. Adams is here one day there the next. Maier? Probably wishes he was an Oscar maier weiner. 

Zach? He’s the man but not a spring chicken. 
lol at bo Levi and even vajardo 

Kelly needs to see a therapist cuz dude is the rapist. 

QBs are a problem. 

How’s Dru in Ottawa or Powell in Hamilton doing. For the sake of the league we should hope they do well. 

Edited by Goalie

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Leroux is already confirmed to be going back to school. He's just here for the experience.

Exactly. So if they are in dire need of a roster spot may as well. Seems like he’s a turn key LS already too. 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Or like Adams and others. Sits for a year or 2. Why ppl pretending QBs aren’t a huge problem in the cfl? Cuz it is. 

Dru brown. He was the worst rookie qb I’ve seen here in a long while. 
4qbs with one on the pr is fairly standard. 

17 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Resume is a pretty big meh to me.  Wilson was successful in the SEC.  Barriere went to a dominant program in FCS and didn't really come close to winning the championship.

Barriere is actually 2 weeks older than Wilson (I've seen someone, maybe Hodge or another beat guy say Wilson is old for a CFL rookie).

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Exactly. So if they are in dire need of a roster spot may as well. Seems like he’s a turn key LS already too. 

He (and other draft picks attending their first camp) is a non-counter so he isn't taking up a spot. They'd have to drop someone else.

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

He (and other draft picks attending their first camp) is a non-counter so he isn't taking up a spot. They'd have to drop someone else.

Oh you’re right I’m out to lunch on that one. 

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Resume is a pretty big meh to me.  Wilson was successful in the SEC.  Barriere went to a dominant program in FCS and didn't really come close to winning the championship.

Barriere is actually 2 weeks older than Wilson (I've seen someone, maybe Hodge or another beat guy say Wilson is old for a CFL rookie).

I’m glad we have Wilson. His adjustments and poise was excellent. If barryeh isn’t gonna coach up I’d look to bring in another for the pr still. With Strevy running and a true rookie behind him we for sure should keep one on the pr. 

29 minutes ago, Goalie said:

That hodge dude has been off for years. His opinions are just so wrong and just based on nothing. He might have insider info at times but dude has no clue. Must have been listening to Mullinder yesterday. 

Hodge is, and always has been, terrible at what he does.  The fact he has a platform speaks more to the fact that there are so few quality guys out there covering the CFL than it does about his ability.

I’ve been saying this for years.

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Oh you’re right I’m out to lunch on that one. 

I’m glad we have Wilson. His adjustments and poise was excellent. If barryeh isn’t gonna coach up I’d look to bring in another for the pr still. With Strevy running and a true rookie behind him we for sure should keep one on the pr. 

Neither guy is a true rookie.  They've both spent the past 2 years playing pro.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Neither guy is a true rookie.  They've both spent the past 2 years playing pro.

Just usfl camp stuff for barry, but yeah I didn’t realize Wilson started a game and rostered for a couple. So he’s not soo green. 

Mullinder was bad.  everytime I heard him say "second and short opens up the whole playbook!" I thought about replacing him with one of these:

81nROJg+LlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Somehow the sideline guy was worse.  Is there a shallower take than "everyone's all pumped up and the veterans are leading the way!" 

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Lofton was more mobile than when he was with us before ... his tipping the play was easy to pick up in the first drive.

oh, this is interesting.  how was he tipping off the play?

Always interested to hear about these little details, they make the game much more fun to watch.

Edited by johnzo

9 minutes ago, johnzo said:

oh, this is interesting.  how was he tipping off the play?

Always interested to hear about these little details, they make the game much more fun to watch.

His stance. He went directly into his stance, and was in a 2 point stance that was still too upright in pass pro, and a 4 point stance (some thing tackles virtually never do unless short yardage.) with a 3pt stance on two other run plays. 

He was also really on the line at best for moving early going backwards in pass pro. 

Stanley is great at hiding his stance till the last minute he has to Commit, and using his leverage to work out of  a lot of 2 point stances, some times a 3 on certain plays. But usually a 2 point stance with hands on legs and uses bend and step to gain the advantage instead of a 3 point. 

21 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Mullinder was bad.  everytime I heard him say "second and short opens up the whole playbook!" I thought about replacing him with one of these:

81nROJg+LlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Somehow the sideline guy was worse.  Is there a shallower take than "everyone's all pumped up and the veterans are leading the way!" 

I went instantly to cjob for pbp gladly missed the whole mess with the rider flunkies. 

40 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Just usfl camp stuff for barry, but yeah I didn’t realize Wilson started a game and rostered for a couple. So he’s not soo green. 

Barriere was #2 and played some for Michigan in USFL.  Spent 22 and 23 with Michigan and New Jersey in USFL.  Came free when USFL folded.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Barriere was #2 and played some for Michigan in USFL.  Spent 22 and 23 with Michigan and New Jersey in USFL.  Came free when USFL folded.

Honestly with his performance here it makes sense why he fell out of the nfl soo fast, and then in the usfl. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

The Bombers have placed Castillo on the suspended list for impersonating a fiery Spanish golfer, his green card is being checked for validation and possible deportation by Sask. authorities.

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Strevy also struggled to read blitz pre snap.

Would you expect the QBs to be behind the curve in blitz recognition since there's zero film on the D to study at this point?

10 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Would you expect the QBs to be behind the curve in blitz recognition since there's zero film on the D to study at this point?

I would expect offenders to be behind the curve on calls by the new defences in general for sure. I would expect a qb to notice an overload look pre snap that doesn’t drop through. 
 Strevy I think is likely behind in terms of teams prepping for him. Also, I’m sure he has to adjust to the speed at which an over load edge can can get to you here, and not having high level pass pro from rbs and tes. 

10 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

Hodge is, and always has been, terrible at what he does.  The fact he has a platform speaks more to the fact that there are so few quality guys out there covering the CFL than it does about his ability.

I’ve been saying this for years.

The guys that used to be beat writers for the Bombers in the media hey day of the 50's, 60's & 70's like Don Blanchard, Jack Matheson, Jack Wells, John Robertson, Maurice Smith & Reyn Davis never claimed to be football experts. They knew their way around the game from being at practice everyday as well as sitting in on the odd film session with the head coaches they covered over the years. They all had a couple of things in common. They knew their readers & listeners. They always asked the questions we fans wanted answers to. They weren't afraid to dig around &  write the stories that made certain GMs & Head Coaches squirm. Those days are long gone. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

I believe @Mikesaid barriere had been on the neg list for some time so I’d imagine he might stick around. Be silly to cut him after 1 appearance when he’s been on the neg list for years. 

I guess Buck will make that call. I can also see Barriere getting zero playing time next game as it's a prep for the CFL opener the week after. If anything, I see Streveleer getting more playing time along with Wilson. Osh may keep Zach out of the next game as well as he's done that in the past. Jf he does, then Barriere might play a bit more. I guess it all depends upon how the kid practices this week. 

13 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Would be silly to cut a better player because a guy was on the neg list for a long time.

Hodge's evaluation of Streveler really speaks to his lack of basic knowledge on how the game is played.

He said something like "Streveler will never be a guy who drops back and works through four reads."

Nobody is working through more than 2 after the snap.  After that it's a scramble.  Everything is pre-snap.  Most teams are cutting the field in half based on pre-snap reads.

Just such an underhanded and ignorant attempt to **** on a guys ability as a passer.

that review in general was pretty weak

13 hours ago, Tracker said:

From what I saw, he is struggling to adapt to the 3 down game. He has the talent, do we have the patience?

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

From what I saw, he is struggling to adapt to the 3 down game. He has the talent, do we have the patience?

I think he is struggling with that extra guy on the field, and it's throwing his ability to make any reads off...in a quick fashion....totally obvious from his picks

1 minute ago, Booch said:

I think he is struggling with that extra guy on the field, and it's throwing his ability to make any reads off...in a quick fashion....totally obvious from his picks

For sure, he is not seeing the field like a 3 down QB needs to do. He's been here a week, maybe he's just a slow learner, maybe he's a bust. I wouldn't get rid of him yet though.