2024 CFL Pre Season

10 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

TSN Executive: I'm sorry everyone, we can't show CFL preseason ths year because we are already carrying the Blue Jays game.

Intern: *whispers"

TSN Executive; We have FOUR channels?!

If only they had that excuse. They don't show the Jays and they don't show the NHL. 

It's expensive to produce a live broadcast of anything. If they don't have the viewership to command and dollars, they can't justify the cost of production. It sucks for us, but CFL+ doing it with just in house video feeds is the cheapest possible thing they can do. There's just not enough CFL diehards out there.

Just now, Noeller said:

It's expensive to produce a live broadcast of anything. If they don't have the viewership to command and dollars, they can't justify the cost of production. It sucks for us, but CFL+ doing it with just in house video feeds is the cheapest possible thing they can do. There's just not enough CFL diehards out there.

TSN has done as little as possible to develop the market. They've been the SOLE CFL broadcaster for more than 20 years. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

TSN has done as little as possible to develop the market. They've been the SOLE CFL broadcaster for more than 20 years. 

I know... There's a bit of a chicken and egg situation with this. You can definitely argue that there's not enough demand because TSN hasn't created demand. I'm not sure who's totally right but this just feels like one of those "it's too small of a league in too small of a country" type things. I'm not sure the money will ever be there to justify it no matter what. What you really need is some top level people in both Bell and the major advertiser types like Tim's, Canadian Tire, etc, to be big CFL fans and make it happen...

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I know... There's a bit of a chicken and egg situation with this. You can definitely argue that there's not enough demand because TSN hasn't created demand. I'm not sure who's totally right but this just feels like one of those "it's too small of a league in too small of a country" type things. I'm not sure the money will ever be there to justify it no matter what. What you really need is some top level people in both Bell and the major advertiser types like Tim's, Canadian Tire, etc, to be big CFL fans and make it happen...

Reklaws. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Canada is a small market. It sucks but itnis what it is. Easier and cheaper to buy a feed for some out of country bullshit and show that than produce your own ****  

Canadian companies are awful at this. Just want to suck money from people and not spend anything 

I would argue in the current media market Canada has enough football fans for the CFL and TSN to do very well, problem is at least half of those football fans choose to follow the NFL and ignore the CFL, and the advertisers follow the numbers.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Preseason games can be and usually are pretty boring. I will watch Bombers preseason games but I'm probably not watching anyone else. 

I'm fine with the pre season games being online and what not, better to have them then not have any thing. Pre season is kind of a sham when it comes to quality any way. That said, I don't think the issue is the size or market of the CFL at all. I think the problem is TSN, and the CFL failing to grow the league/brand. Fans LOVE behind the scenes indepth TC stuff. This is exactly the direction and area to start pushing in with the younger market. The NFL does this very, very well. 

They put on like 2 hours of the worst TV of the year with the first round of the draft. Can't tell me pre season is worse than that. I'd be fine if they gave us  online in stadium feeds with out commercials and maybe pipe in local radio. Or let college and HS AV students run the production. If they gave us a 2 hr show 2-3 times a week that had reporters at TCs, giving reports and news on the goings on, showing some limited highlights, and featuring a more intelligible round table that isn't trashy banter based It'd do great. And the market size would grow considerably.