General Hobbyist Thread

bluto

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

Definitely a plus when you can share a passion with your partner.

I go back and forth on it, but I can't imagine being with someone who doesn't share the same passions. On the other hand, it might be nice to have something that's just yours and gets you away from them for awhile. S'posin' it depends on how much you enjoy being around your significant other...

Oh yeah, I had another hobby before I had to stop  coaching football with my arthritis, which I did for 15 years. Won a five of 6 city of Calgary football championships & four provincial titles coaching pee wee (10-12) bantam (13-15) & spring league (15-17).

I was a HC for 1 city & provincial win at the pee wee level. I also founded a bantam team in Calgary called the Falcons in 2005. I was given 6 footballs by the league & that was it. I built the team from the ground up, had to buy equipment, find a practice facility & was also the HC. Recruited my coaches, manager, treasurer & started in January 05. We played our first game in August.

Out of 8 games we won 4 but misssed the playoffs. Other teams thought we'd be a pushover but we weren't. We could run & throw. Our defense had some players that became All Stars. It was so much fun but a ton of work. I now sit as a Board of Director of the SE Calgary Colts. Love what I'm doing as I can still contribute to our organization in a positive light as well as still be associated with football in some way.

I'm a word nerd. Love a good game of scrabble - in person - not on an app.  I'm also an avid reader, when my brain isn't fried from too much marking (mostly non-fiction).  I enjoy writing when I have time for it - I created a book of poetry and photography for my wife - one Christmas

I teach Grade 11 Canadian History, and I am endlessly interested in any local history.

We are avid bird watchers: geese are already returning, which means everything else is not far behind.  We look forward to the tundra swan migration, and all the duck varieties over at Oak Hammock.

Also, spending time with our daughter, occasional fishing or hiking expeditions, and barbeque / camp fire cooking.  In spring, summer, or fall...you are likely find me relaxing beside the firepit, at least once a week.

I'm actually a part time gamer (I work mostly with Retro games), a majority of it I do during the summer months when I'm not at work, one thing I want to try and get back onto and finishing once and for all is uploading all of the commercials I have onto my youtube channel, it definitely gave me something to do during the worst of COVID

This is everything I uploaded onto my channel so far (yeah that bit from family channel is there because it is I don't know why youtube does this)

I'm a landscaper by trade but I've been a hobby gardener for even longer. My wife and I are constantly carving out sections of our lawn to make space for more plants. We've put about 15 years of work and experimentation into our back yard and it's still getting better every year. This summer I solarized half my front lawn to make way for a new perennial garden... a section of my lawn has been infested with creeping bellflower for probably 100 years so it is not going quietly, drastic measures were called for... so I took my version of the nuclear option and killed it all off with cardboard and bark mulch. Soon it will habitat for the birds and bees, candy for the eye and food for the soul. Man I love working in my garden. Great exercise too. Can't wait for spring.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I'm a word nerd. Love a good game of scrabble - in person - not on an app.  I'm also an avid reader, when my brain isn't fried from too much marking (mostly non-fiction).  I enjoy writing when I have time for it - I created a book of poetry and photography for my wife - one Christmas

I teach Grade 11 Canadian History, and I am endlessly interested in any local history.

We are avid bird watchers: geese are already returning, which means everything else is not far behind.  We look forward to the tundra swan migration, and all the duck varieties over at Oak Hammock.

Also, spending time with our daughter, occasional fishing or hiking expeditions, and barbeque / camp fire cooking.  In spring, summer, or fall...you are likely find me relaxing beside the firepit, at least once a week.

This winter was good for backyard fires. Man. Cool. I respect you. We are similar really. Just some good old boys really. 

59 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I'm a landscaper by trade but I've been a hobby gardener for even longer. My wife and I are constantly carving out sections of our lawn to make space for more plants. We've put about 15 years of work and experimentation into our back yard and it's still getting better every year. This summer I solarized half my front lawn to make way for a new perennial garden... a section of my lawn has been infested with creeping bellflower for probably 100 years so it is not going quietly, drastic measures were called for... so I took my version of the nuclear option and killed it all off with cardboard and bark mulch. Soon it will habitat for the birds and bees, candy for the eye and food for the soul. Man I love working in my garden. Great exercise too. Can't wait for spring.

Gardening is seriously underrated. Good for the soul man. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I go back and forth on it, but I can't imagine being with someone who doesn't share the same passions. On the other hand, it might be nice to have something that's just yours and gets you away from them for awhile. S'posin' it depends on how much you enjoy being around your significant other...

Balance is good.  We have things we absolutely love to do together (bombers, camping, traveling) but also have stuff that has zero interest for the other.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Noeller said:

S'posin that it does. But it sure helps me out when I want to skip my Saturday chores and errands and go do a 5 hour lap up around Algonquin when the Lady says she wants to hop on the back. (also an avid tailgater and hearing her womansplain football to people is really just the best).

Edit to add: she also rarely objects when she finds another hidden EDC item that I stashed in her purse "for her".

Edited by bluto

I play Ultimate and coach my daughter's softball team as my main hobbies.  I enjoy golfing in the summer and skiing in the winter, but don't get out to do either nearly as much as I would like.  I used to curl a lot, but stopped when my daughter was born... I really want to get back into it, but don't know anyone who curls and is looking for an additional player.

I'm also a gamer, mostly PC but some Console as well.

I'm a aspiring maker/tinkerer.  I love woodworking projects and want to get into 3D printing and CNC but I just don't have the space for it yet, but hopefully soon.

Lots of duffers here.

I gave up golf about 10 years back (except for when my late father asked me to join him). 

A green fee, cart, beers, lunch... It would usually be a $300 day.

Whereas for $35 of premium gas a sandwich and a few Gatorades, I could have a heckuva day on my Indian with the fellas.

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

Lots of duffers here.

I gave up golf about 10 years back (except for when my late father asked me to join him). 

A green fee, cart, beers, lunch... It would usually be a $300 day.

Whereas for $35 of premium gas a sandwich and a few Gatorades, I could have a heckuva day on my Indian with the fellas.

it's definitely not cheap, but generally really enjoyable with the right group of people. I don't enjoy golf with randos. It's best when it's a scramble-type event. 

My goal in life is to be able to Fish in the early AM, golf during the day when it's too hot for the fish and the bite dies, then fish again in the evening. One day....

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it's definitely not cheap, but generally really enjoyable with the right group of people. I don't enjoy golf with randos. It's best when it's a scramble-type event. 

My goal in life is to be able to Fish in the early AM, golf during the day when it's too hot for the fish and the bite dies, then fish again in the evening. One day....

You just need to blend in carving up a twisty road with your brothers in a pack of v-twins on your way to the bar to watch the away game...

That's a good day.

17 minutes ago, bluto said:

You just need to blend in carving up a twisty road with your brothers in a pack of v-twins on your way to the bar to watch the away game...

That's a good day.

I get how you feel, because that's how I feel in a boat...... but man, I wouldn't get on a motorbike if you paid me....

23 hours ago, Goalie said:

This winter was good for backyard fires. Man. Cool. I respect you. We are similar really. Just some good old boys really. 

MY Mother & father grew up on their farms in Manitoba. Neither of them were excited about gardening but man, could they ever grow things in our very large backyard in the 50's & 60's. There was dill, green onions, tomatoes, carrots, beets, radishes, lettuce, cabbage, corn & potatoes. We had flowers around the house & in a flower bed out front.

My Dad planted three crabapple trees in the yard & they gave us fruit for years. Either crabapple pie, jam or wine for my parents or guests (but not me). I loved to eat those crabapples right off the branch. I'd usually stuff my pockets if I was leaving the house. Great memories. then they got into their mid 50's & they decided to stop & my father sodded the back yard.

On 2024-03-13 at 7:05 PM, Goalie said:

We have a big community garden. I spend a good chunk of my summer helping out there, especially when picking starts. Potatoes are my domain. It's good physical work, but some days, I'm not so sure about the soul part. 😁

On 3/13/2024 at 7:35 AM, bluto said:

The idea for this thread is to both be a meta hobby thread which jumps off into existing hobby threads that are already in here (music, fishing, etc...) as well as to perhaps spark some new ones. It may also help you become better acquainted with some of the posters that you've "known" for many years.

So basically just start by listing your hobbies and interests. You never know who may be lurking here who wants to talk about your classic Lego sets or whatever.

I'm Into:

• all things motorcycle. Currently still on my Indian Roadmaster, but have owned and ridden all types and sizes of bike. I have taught and trained about a dozen riders over the years and am happy to give advice on how to start out safe and smart. I am Pres of my riding chapter which has a worldwide affiliated chapter system.
  • EDC (Every Day Carry), I spend way too much money refining the common items that I have with me every day. (for those unfamiliar with EDC, think wallet, watch, keys, pocket knife, multi tool, etc)
  • sports wise, obviously the Argonauts are my passion but I am also a long suffering Leaf fan. As discussed elsewhere, I'm also a 28+ year supporter of Manchester City (the only club in Manchester).
  • I am a long time member of a fraternal order which is known and meets around the world.
  • I own a large (and busy) auto repair facility, so any questions about cars or small businesses are welcome
  • Musically, I mostly listen to post-punk, new and classic southern rock, grunge era and classic metal. But I was a radio jock for nearly 7 years and have an appreciation and some knowledge for all types/styles/formats.

That about does it for me. Looking forward to seeing what you guys do when you aren't busy fretting over who your favorite CFL club may draft in the 4th round for depth.

In on the hunt for a new EDC bag with potential for use as a personal item when travelling. Have done a bunch of reading on so e of the EDC forums on Reddit and other places and have a hard time deciding. Any thoughts? Thinking 26-28L, would like it clean lines. Laptop,iPad slots usual daily pack out, Yeti water bottle and coffee tumbler. 

I really like my Thule Subterra spinner carryon and am drawn to the Thule Accent 26 backpack. 

Thoughts? Recommendations?

On 2024-03-16 at 10:52 AM, GCJenks said:

In on the hunt for a new EDC bag with potential for use as a personal item when travelling. Have done a bunch of reading on so e of the EDC forums on Reddit and other places and have a hard time deciding. Any thoughts? Thinking 26-28L, would like it clean lines. Laptop,iPad slots usual daily pack out, Yeti water bottle and coffee tumbler. 

I really like my Thule Subterra spinner carryon and am drawn to the Thule Accent 26 backpack. 

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Hard to go wrong with Thule in general. As a travel bag they really are good stuff and the Subterra line have a nice modern, minimalist look externally. But you could likely get enough in there between their spinner and backpack to last a good week on the road.

I'm the same as you for my workday bag (lappy, water bottle, good ol' stanley thermos in hammertone green just like grampa's was, and my EDC pouch). It's a Samsonite 3-zipper briefcase/shoulder bag that I got 22 years ago and after two decades of rough use is only now coming up for replacing. (mostly I'm a total mark for that company because as a child I remember their commercials featuring a gorilla attempting and failing to destroy their luggage). 

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Hard to go wrong with Thule in general. As a travel bag they really are good stuff and the Subterra line have a nice modern, minimalist look externally. But you could likely get enough in there between their spinner and backpack to last a good week on the road.

I'm the same as you for my workday bag (lappy, water bottle, good ol' stanley thermos in hammertone green just like grampa's was, and my EDC pouch). It's a Samsonite 3-zipper briefcase/shoulder bag that I got 22 years ago and after two decades of rough use is only now coming up for replacing. (mostly I'm a total mark for that company because as a child I remember their commercials featuring a gorilla attempting and failing to destroy their luggage). 

I have a Samsonite Xenon 2 Spinner briefcase that I use when I travel to trade shows and am collecting crap all day as I walk around and it will be the last item of theirs I ever own. I have had issues with it since the first time I have used it but none of them were deemed warranty and repair/replacement was denied.

I have the same Stanley Thermos and a Navy Blue coffee tumbler that is one of the best I have used but the 3 piece top is a pain to clean.

13 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I have a Samsonite Xenon 2 Spinner briefcase that I use when I travel to trade shows and am collecting crap all day as I walk around and it will be the last item of theirs I ever own. I have had issues with it since the first time I have used it but none of them were deemed warranty and repair/replacement was denied.

I have the same Stanley Thermos and a Navy Blue coffee tumbler that is one of the best I have used but the 3 piece top is a pain to clean.

I'm bummed to hear that about the recent Samsonite models. I guess that some things aren't made the way (or where) they used to be. I was looking at the Samsonite Classic NXT 3 Gusset Briefcase as a replacement for my daily. Makes you nervous when you can't just walk into a store and physically compare them. You just order it, wait until it arrives and hope for the best these days.

8 hours ago, bluto said:

I'm bummed to hear that about the recent Samsonite models. I guess that some things aren't made the way (or where) they used to be. I was looking at the Samsonite Classic NXT 3 Gusset Briefcase as a replacement for my daily. Makes you nervous when you can't just walk into a store and physically compare them. You just order it, wait until it arrives and hope for the best these days.

There has to be some places locally you can shop. Here we have a Samsonite store in the outlet mall, UN Luggage and last I looked The Bay still stocks some. When I bought mine Samsonite online & Amazon had it on sale, I was able to see it in person at The Bay but they would not price match so I ordered online.