2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

1 hour ago, bluto said:

I was thinking the same. I've got nothing to back that up other than it just feels like a very Alouettes thing to do.

And not everybody will be in for Schoen... My team has FA/Salary issues aplenty without trying for that sort of move.

I just think Cody needs a receiver like him, who knows when to break off his routes and come back to the QB when he's running around. He does so well at finding open space. If Montreal wants to commit to Fajardo, Schoen's the best guy for him.

BUT, I'm obviously hoping we're in his ear and can convince that he's going to be much more successful by staying here with us. Hopefully we got Kenny and Zach in his ear too. 

57 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't think there's a smoother receiver out there. 

If there is and anyone knows who it is please contact Kyle Walters ASAP.

9 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I just think Cody needs a receiver like him, who knows when to break off his routes and come back to the QB when he's running around. He does so well at finding open space. If Montreal wants to commit to Fajardo, Schoen's the best guy for him.

BUT, I'm obviously hoping we're in his ear and can convince that he's going to be much more successful by staying here with us. Hopefully we got Kenny and Zach in his ear too. 

Schoen would be wasted on CodyFaj. Cody does not have the accuracy to utilize the strengths of Schoen. Lawler is the type of receiver he needs. A guy who can still make the catch on a very poorly thrown ball. 

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Schoen would be wasted on CodyFaj. Cody does not have the accuracy to utilize the strengths of Schoen. Lawler is the type of receiver he needs. A guy who can still make the catch on a very poorly thrown ball. 

Schoen would absolutely not reach his potential, but he's the guy I think CoFaj needs. He finds open space when the QB is running around.

Kenny wants to make the big play and CoFaj won't be able to get it there. Kenny would make his highlight reel catches here and there but it'd be a lot of incompletions and interceptions.

Obviously any great receiver makes any QB look better. But I think Schoen's play style would be more valuable for them. If they're sitting there trying to wonder who to make a play for, Schoen or Rhymes, for example.

43 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

No, Acklin was their top guy last season and he came in at $140k, Nate Behar was slightly behind him at $137k.

Yes, but adding in Rhymes @ about $210K per season changes the dynamic. Receiver is not the only area that needs to be upgraded. They might take a shot at upgrading at RB with either Oliveria or Ouellette for example. They also have Hardy and just extended Acklin. So their receiving group is not that bad if they get quality work at the QB position.

Edited by Blue In BC

52 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Arland Bruce IV... I assume this has to do with the indefinite suspension that was never lifted by the NCAA, or just the stink associated with gambling on your own games... still a shame, he is no doubt a talent

On the one hand, betting on your own games is dumb as crap. On the other hand, I don't believe that mistakes made when you are relatively young should haunt you forever. On the other, other hand, the CFL is likely bringing in enough from gambling that they were basically forced to do this. On the other ^ 3  hand, gambling is gross and all the ads for it are gross.

I have no idea what my stance is on this.

20 minutes ago, Blue In BC said:

Yes, but adding in Rhymes @ about $210K per season changes the dynamic. Receiver is not the only area that needs to be upgraded. They might take a shot at upgrading at RB with either Oliveria or Ouellette for example. They also have Hardy and just extended Acklin. So their receiving group is not that bad if they get quality work at the QB position.

Sure, they have lots of work to do, but premium players wont be available at every position.

BC just signed 2 of their receivers for 200+ contracts and then Cottoy (didn't see that one's numbers). We have Lawler and Demski and still are trying to sign Schoen.

There's nothing from keeping Ottawa from trying to sign Schoen as well. 

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Most of what I see from Schoen is that he is one of, if not the best receiver in this league at getting behind coverage and catching the ball on the run. Fajardo can't hit a moving target. If they want to waste Schoen by making him stop and be a stationary target then I think it's a lose-lose situation for both the Als and Schoen. That is most definitely not Schoen's strength. Can he do it? Of course, but he is most dangerous....almost exclusively dangerous as a moving target but needs a QB with accuracy to put it on him.

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I’m not surprised tbh. Gambling on and shaving points in your own games will get you black listed. 

Arland III is thinking about suing the CFL over this. Just a prediction. lmao

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Most of what I see from Schoen is that he is one of, if not the best receiver in this league at getting behind coverage and catching the ball on the run. Fajardo can't hit a moving target.

It's a fair point. But that's also when he has Zach at QB. 

I can imagine him making the necessary changes to accommodate another QB. 

17 minutes ago, JCon said:

$210k is the base for Rhymes. He can still earn more in bonuses. 

Over paid imo.

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It's a fair point. But that's also when he has Zach at QB. 

I can imagine him making the necessary changes to accommodate another QB. 

Sure he will accommodate. Question is how much does that accommodation hurt his production and over all effectiveness.