2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

34 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think it's dumb when people get fined for criticizing the league.

If I'm in Barker's position and I took a bad fine in the past, I'd take this opportunity to fight for free speech. When they fined him, I'm sure he was against it, but now he's suddenly on the league's side and these women should be fined? Noooope. 

Barker was sued in the past by a female atheletic therapist so he might just be bitter about his experience in a similar situation.  It's laughable that he trotted out the fact that the Argos apparently did their own investigation and found nothing wrong. The leaked report showed differently - Barker has zero credibility on this issue.

9 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The bolded part is clear. The you in the statement is Randy Ambrosie, IE the league. 

Privilege? What privilege? 

The subject of the quote is Pinball (you).  The part referencing Ambrosie is a tangent.  If she were referring to Ambrosie and that discussion, she would have said "He promised ..."

As for your privilege, it's apparent by your "special interests" comments that you've led a very charmed life and I'll leave it at that.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/13/tsn-panellist-ex-gm-jim-barker-says-cfl-staffers-should-be-fined-for-criticizing-argos-handling-of-chad-kelly/

Barker is more likely to get fired for these comments then those two ladies are to be fined. Wow what a tone deaf dolt. 

Sure feels like this well used quote applies here:

Better remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

1 minute ago, voodoochylde said:

The subject of the quote is Pinball (you).  The part referencing Ambrosie is a tangent.  If she were referring to Ambrosie and that discussion, she would have said "He promised ..."

As for your privilege, it's apparent by your "special interests" comments that you've led a very charmed life and I'll leave it at that.

After re-reading it, I agree with your analysis. It would have been He promised.

The pertinent statement is: "As I and many female staff members across the league have communicated to Randy Ambrosie, the handling of this extremely serious situation has been a complete and utter failure from top to bottom." Barker states that he got fined for complaining about a league policy in the past, therefore the same should hold true for people complaining about the failure of a league policy in the present OR neither should be finable (My take). 

The denotation of Equality mean everyone gets the same rights. The Canadian connotation is that special groups or communities get special rights. You need to know a person's age, race, religion, and/or sex, sexual orientation, to understand which rights they have or don't have. Quite frankly, if all the groups got together and helped each other, we'd be way closer to true equality. 

17.. I'm not saying equality is unfair. I'm saying it's not equal. 

wbb.. If Barker gets fired or fined for voicing his opinion, then that would prove my point that equality isn't equal. 

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

After re-reading it, I agree with your analysis. It would have been He promised.

The pertinent statement is: "As I and many female staff members across the league have communicated to Randy Ambrosie, the handling of this extremely serious situation has been a complete and utter failure from top to bottom." Barker states that he got fined for complaining about a league policy in the past, therefore the same should hold true for people complaining about the failure of a league policy in the present OR neither should be finable (My take). 

The denotation of Equality mean everyone gets the same rights. The Canadian connotation is that special groups or communities get special rights. You need to know a person's age, race, religion, and/or sex, sexual orientation, to understand which rights they have or don't have. Quite frankly, if all the groups got together and helped each other, we'd be way closer to true equality. 

wbb.. If Barker gets fired or fined for voicing his opinion, then that would prove my point that equality isn't equal. 

The standards of 15 years ago are not the same as they are now.  Something that Barker did or said 15 years ago (and I won't claim to know what it was or how it compares to what Marcoux said here), may or may not get him fined now.  As society evolves, so does what is seen as acceptable and not acceptable, so it's really hard to put the two situations side by side and say that they are the same and should be treated the same.

46 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Barker was sued in the past by a female atheletic therapist so he might just be bitter about his experience in a similar situation.  It's laughable that he trotted out the fact that the Argos apparently did their own investigation and found nothing wrong. The leaked report showed differently - Barker has zero credibility on this issue.

Not to mention he was part of the Argos organization until last year, is very close to this personally, and is a Pinball bootlicker because of that. 

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

That could have been 25 years ago.  He could also be completely full of ****.

It could have been a couple of years ago. He could be completely honest. See how this isn't an actual argument?

What a lot of the criticism is in not even of the league response yet.  The Argos knew this was going on last season and did nothing.  The evidence on that is pretty clear.  They prioritized their starting QB being in the lineup over safety of the rest of their team.  This issue was reported, discussed by football operations even players and documented by them well before it became a public issue.

I don't view the comments as out of line at all.  In fact they are supporting league policies that aren't being upheld by certain organizations like the one Barker was last employed by up to 2022.

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It could have been a couple of years ago. He could be completely honest. See how this isn't an actual argument?

In the absence of any substance his argument is null, yes.

19 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's called equity. Treating everyone the same does not level the playing field when people have different starting points. 

11 minutes ago, Sard said:

The standards of 15 years ago are not the same as they are now.  Something that Barker did or said 15 years ago (and I won't claim to know what it was or how it compares to what Marcoux said here), may or may not get him fined now.  As society evolves, so does what is seen as acceptable and not acceptable, so it's really hard to put the two situations side by side and say that they are the same and should be treated the same.

Not to mention the fact that for every last one of us freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences of that speech.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Barker is an idiot trotting out a false equivalency from 15 years ago.

Nobody is criticizing the league.  They are criticizing the Argos and idiots like Pinball and Barker.

Barker is taking is personally because he brought Kelly to the league and is all in.

Exactly right. Barker was a principle player in the recruitment of Kelly. Put his reputation as an evaluator of talent on the line by bringing in a known headcase.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There's no defending or deflecting from the Argo coverup either.  It's pretty transparent what Barker's tactic is.  The guy is involved personally.

There really is an extreme bias from Barker anytime he talks about the Argos, a team he had a lot to do with building, and a management team that he worked with extremely closely. 

Does anyone have any documentation that Jim Barker was fined for 'complaining about the schedule' or is he just making things up? A cursory google turns up two fines, one for comments critical of officiating after a game, and another for positioning himself near to an official at the goal line and trying to communicate with them during play.

If Staffers flouted any rules (and anyone could cite those rules) I'm sure they would get fined... but in this case it would probably prompt a re-evaluation of those rules or those fines would never actually be paid by the staffer.

I also imagine the league has different levers against high level executives and the freakin' general manager of a team vs an internal manager of web and digital content or a teams director of branding.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Barker has always been a piece of ****. No surprises he goes to bat for his own **** people. 

Hopefully tsn just cans him. Can't stand his schtick 

TSN should fire him for not being a good at his job. But, being bad at your job and being a chauvinist creep is doubly-bad. 

TSN will extend his contract. 

30 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

It's called equity. Treating everyone the same does not level the playing field when people have different starting points. 

Then stop calling it equality. 

17 minutes ago, JCon said:

TSN should fire him for not being a good at his job. But, being bad at your job and being a chauvinist creep is doubly-bad. 

TSN will extend his contract. 

Not going to lie watching Jim Barker and Kate Beirness try to be funny scores high on cringe.

Same feeling one gets when in-game interviews happen, i.e., nuisance, weird and often times cringe.