Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

58 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I'm a huge Brady fan, but that would surprise me a lot.

His ask will also be limited by the position he plays. There's a ceiling for RBs.

If he's brought in as a starter, proven or not, the starting salary starts with a 3. Of course, that's not a sure thing at this point. 

Adams a top 3 starter last year was @ $285K + bonuses. Brown, a wanna be starter isn't going to get a $300K+ salary. 

Lol at Losers trolls rolling up here all cocky now because "all their troubles are over!!" now...... hilariums. I can't wait for next summer when nothing has changed and they're getting routinely spanked and fans continue to stay away from the toilet bowl in droves....

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Adams a top 3 starter last year was @ $285K + bonuses. Brown, a wanna be starter isn't going to get a $300K+ salary. 

His base was 285, but he also got 20k for taking the first snap of the year and another 5k for every start.

It was just a little insurance in case Rourke came back - As a starter, he made 350.

There was no starter, top tier or bottom tier, who made less than Adams' 350k. Again, with the exception of Kelly.

Again, no guarantee that Brown will be signed as a starter - but if he is - you still need to pay him a starter salary.

You don't have to pay Brown starters salary. You have to pay him more than any other team with a starting QB spot available to compete for. IMO, that's Ottawa and maybe Hamilton.

Overpaying a guy who only has a couple of career starts under his belt is a huge gamble, especially if you don't have to pay him that much.  

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You don't have to pay Brown starters salary. You have to pay him more than any other team with a starting QB spot available to compete for. IMO, that's Ottawa and maybe Hamilton.

Overpaying a guy who only has a couple of career starts under his belt is a huge gamble, especially if you don't have to pay him that much.  

Weird that Meier and Corny and Adams got so much then.

What you’re saying makes sense, TBurg, it just never works like that in real life.

There’s a world out there where Dru signs with Ottawa as the back-up to Masoli and takes a low base with start incentives.

But if Ottawa cuts Masoli and sign Dru with the intention of being their starter, they are going to give him a starting salary.

BO will get top dollar for his position...but it will be a max value based on the position and availability to fill it....I'd say 175...185k is where he will max out...anything more isn't worth it and if some team is dumb enough to do that....Walters will let him walk..Hometown hero and all.....RB is the easiest and mot plentiful position to fill, and we don't need to have that as a canadian ratio spot..we choose to....If he wants 180 and higher we can fill his spot for less than half of that with an import who can do what he does, and even more....and would not need to hold a higher salaried Canadian backup behind him....

Also I cant see him getting an actual TC shot.....or one of any substance...There are so many backs in the states like him....with better measurables and pass the eye test that there is no real market for him...Now if he rolled up 2500 yards rushing up here, and was just literally unstoppable...then maybe...but thats just not the case

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

We're not keeping him because we don't have the ability to offer him what he really wants and needs... A realistic shot at the starting job. 

$160K is double what he's making now & more than any other backup QB on the list. He hasn't started many games. His 2 best games were against 4 win Edmonton and 6 win Calgary. 

He's not a starting QB. He's a backup with a ton of up side. He's Arbuckle, not Maier. The only way he gets Cornelius money is if multiple teams see his as 'the guy'. 

Masoli & BLM are done IMO. I'd retire Harris too, but the Riders seem to like him for some reason. 

Maier and Cornhole are both majorly overpaid for their contributions to their teams, which is what usually happens when you overpay based on the hope they will eventually be worth the money.

Maier started most of 2022 throwing for 2389 yards. Cornelius started most of 2022 and threw for 2768 yards. Brown started 2 games and threw for 983 yards. 

Looking at next year's QB's.

Bombers - Collaros

Lions - Adams

Argos - Kelly

Als - Fajardo

Stamps - Maier

Elks - Ford

Riders - Harris

Ticats - ??? - I'd guess BLM/Powell but I'd cut BLM to bring in Brown.

Redblacks - ??? - Best choice for Brown

If he's only getting backup offers he might as well stay here and be the backup in a great situation... the reason he would leave is to be a starter and the comes with a starters pay cheque whether you like it nor not.

what is the first time starter salary tho?...and depending on where he goes to compete....who is gonna drop 400k+ on a guy that may not beat out an incumbent?...there is also that to consider....He's been in a system with same coaches...and literally the exact same teamates for 3 consecutive yrs, and knows the vernacular and plays, and players tendencies inside out and backwards...and that is part of what his teamates here are surely talking to him about to help him in any decisions he will make....more to it than just taking your shoes and stepping behind center in a shitshow

Edited by Booch

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Weird that Meier and Corny and Adams got so much then.

What you’re saying makes sense, TBurg, it just never works like that in real life.

There’s a world out there where Dru signs with Ottawa as the back-up to Masoli and takes a low base with start incentives.

But if Ottawa cuts Masoli and sign Dru with the intention of being their starter, they are going to give him a starting salary.

As I said in my posts Maier and Cornhole had way more starting experience when they got given the starting roles and the big bucks. Brown doesn't have that yet. 

Why would any GM pay a player more than they have to? 

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If he's only getting backup offers he might as well stay here and be the backup in a great situation... the reason he would leave is to be a starter and the comes with a starters pay cheque whether you like it nor not.

We can't offer him a shot at a starting role. That is what he needs to be able to get the big bucks in the future. Also, we're not going to pay Collaros 600K + Brown 160K + 3rd String 80K & tie up 840K on our QB's. The extra 80K will go towards Shoen, BO, etc.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

As I said in my posts Maier and Cornhole had way more starting experience when they got given the starting roles and the big bucks. Brown doesn't have that yet. 

Why would any GM pay a player more than they have to? 

We can't offer him a shot at a starting role. That is what he needs to be able to get the big bucks in the future. Also, we're not going to pay Collaros 600K + Brown 160K + 3rd String 80K & tie up 840K on our QB's. The extra 80K will go towards Shoen, BO, etc.

Yeah but 160 for teams tonight Brown to be a possible starter? Sorry that is a joke. More likely his number is 100 grand higher than that with some incentives for other metrics.

A club like Hamilton could offer a low base salary and a whole lot of performance bonuses to boost it up high.     

AFAIK several people scoffed at me on here because I said Montreal wouldn't sign Brown and would stick with Fajardo.   Do you guys still feel the same way now? 

I'll go with what I've said before,   Ottawa and maaaaaybe Calgary would be the only clubs signing him.    I don't think Dickenson has the balls to admit he was wrong and will trot  Maier out another season.

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

A club like Hamilton could offer a low base salary and a whole lot of performance bonuses to boost it up high.     

AFAIK several people scoffed at me on here because I said Montreal wouldn't sign Brown and would stick with Fajardo.   Do you guys still feel the same way now? 

I'll go with what I've said before,   Ottawa and maaaaaybe Calgary would be the only clubs signing him.    I don't think Dickenson has the balls to admit he was wrong and will trot  Maier out another season.

I know I wouldn’t stick with Fajardo if I was Montreal, he’s still the weakest link. 

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

Hate Fajardo all that you want but he's coming off destroying the Blue Bombers and winning the cup.  Why would they cut him?  

Like on a lot of different topics I’m noticing, another example where you and I have a much different perspective, and in this particular case, of what it looks like when someone destroys another.

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

because one game does not a career make. 

Not even a complete dominant game, a few key plays that would suggest the word destroy is incorrectly used.

CF is a perfect example that when he is playing at his best level he’s just managing the game not dominating.