3 stars plus hh turning cowtown info browntown

wbbfan

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

So you don't want arguably the best receiver in the league and would rather have a guy who averages 600 yards per season instead?

Bailey does so much more than Lawler tho. Kenny also hasn't made us that much better... I'd take Schoen and Bailey over Lawler and Bailey. 

But really it's schoen Bailey demski woli plus rookie or bolo plus Brady. I mean do we really need Lawler? 

Edited by Goalie

9 hours ago, johnzo said:

I think the idea is that we trade his negotiation rights before free agency in order to allow another team the chance to sign him before free agency starts.  That's how we got Drew Willy, we traded Jade Etienne to get his rights before the 2014 free agency season was underway.

Whether we could get a high first seems like a question.

You're correct, that was also the case when Collaros moved to the Ti-Cats, Mike Reilly moved back to the Lions and more recently when BLM's rights were traded to the Ti-Cats prior to F.A...  Gettin somethin, is better than nuthin.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

We can't afford to pay both Schoen and Lawler top dollars. I'd take Schoen over Lawler.  

I don't know why they didn't see this coming when they re-signed Lawler, I sure did.  Maybe they thought there was a  good chance they would lose Schoen to the NFL, who knows?  They lost Lawler the top receiver in 2021 to F.A., I conclude they are now equally prepared to lose Schoen after this season to balance the budget, as Kenny is signed to multiple year deal. The flip-side is they would be able to bump up Bailey if Schoen walked.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't know why they didn't see this coming when they re-signed Lawler

why do you think you're smarter than the Bombers brain trust? (suggesting that they didn't see this coming but you did) How do you know they didn't see something coming? 

I.m sure they are well aware of things...before...during and after

And in regards to the where and how's it's gonna work....I think the decision is are we a better team with Lawler ..Schoen and Bailey, or are we better with only 2 of the 3, but with a couple JA...Biggie...BA...and Neuf missing... or asked to take a backseat role at a very reduced rate

Lawler is also signed thru to next yr....I wouldn't be surprised to see his deal re-worked and he gets a big pile of it this yr from some of the money 6 gamed, and he plays on a base next yr which isn't a big hit....

We will be shedding vet salaries in Thomas..Briggs..Miller..Darby...Lawrence..off the top of my head, and also have some hold-over money from this yr not used/6gamed that will help.....sure some of those guys don't make huge dollars, but replacing them will still be a savings, and also the cap does go up a wee bit..it increased 160k this yr, which probably a lot of people didn't factor into re-up money for this yr...I believe goes up 75k next yr So covers an entry level contract above what we had to pay for the same amount of guys this yr, and I do know the following 3 yrs have a 100k increase in each of those yrs....so the money allotment isnt as dire as you may think for retaining guys or attracting a FA big fish

Just now, rebusrankin said:

You don't think our front office knows how to add and project costs year to year?

Not what I said nor what I meant. 

I think we are at the top end of the SMS, maybe slightly over. That means we need to cut vet or two to make room for Schoen's much bigger salary next year. Paying two receivers top dollars means skimping somewhere else. 

You can make any contract fit if you want to, the question becomes does it make the team better.

Having 600k tied to 2 receivers will limit the team in other areas. Even if you manage to sneak some of the cap hit into the 2023 year. I'm sure they have a few different scenarios plotted out. It's a matter of deciding which one results in the best team overall.

39 minutes ago, Booch said:

Lawler is also signed thru to next yr....I wouldn't be surprised to see his deal re-worked and he gets a big pile of it this yr from some of the money 6 gamed, and he plays on a base next yr which isn't a big hit....

We will be shedding vet salaries in Thomas..Briggs..Miller..Darby...Lawrence..off the top of my head, and also have some hold-over money from this yr not used/6gamed that will help.....sure some of those guys don't make huge dollars, but replacing them will still be a savings, and also the cap does go up a wee bit..it increased 160k this yr, which probably a lot of people didn't factor into re-up money for this yr...I believe goes up 75k next yr So covers an entry level contract above what we had to pay for the same amount of guys this yr, and I do know the following 3 yrs have a 100k increase in each of those yrs....so the money allotment isnt as dire as you may think for retaining guys or attracting a FA big fish

Are you sure Jake is gone. Miller, Briggs, Darby and Lawrence make sense based on age+production+cost+role but I'm not sure about Thomas.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

HE ****** BETTER BE! If we bring him back I have no faith at all in the scouting and HC....

Unfortunately I think the fat lady has sung on the fat guys career....Time catches up with us all, and I think it;s time to move on from Thomas ....Miller as well ...2 stalwarts that have had their day

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Which means exactly **** all. Can cut a guy annnnyyyy time you want and it's not on the books anymore.

Do you think they're going to actually cut Lawler after promising to pay him?  I can see the Riders making a decision like this but not the Bombers.....something, something, integrity and living with the consequences of their decisions.  If he underperformed you would have a valid point.

12 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Do you think they're going to actually cut Lawler after promising to pay him?  I can see the Riders making a decision like this but not the Bombers.....something, something, integrity and living with the consequences of their decisions.  If he underperformed you would have a valid point.

If that's what it takes to get the books in order why not? Gotta make hard decisions if money is tight.

16 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I agree it isn't the Bombers style, is there any trade value to Lawler's contract? 

it's absurd to think Lawler isn't going to be here next year.... and I firmly believe they'll find a way to get both he and Schoen under contract. If and when we win the Cup, those guys are gonna wanna stay together. If we can keep Walters, I think he'll work his magic.