3 stars plus hh turning cowtown info browntown

wbbfan

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it's absurd to think Lawler isn't going to be here next year.... and I firmly believe they'll find a way to get both he and Schoen under contract. If and when we win the Cup, those guys are gonna wanna stay together. If we can keep Walters, I think he'll work his magic. 

Chungh, Desjarlais, Casey Sayles and Lawler himself, all players the Bombers wanted to retain but couldn't afford to, every year Walters discusses the difficulty of keeping a winning roster intact.  There's no magic accounting, certain sacrifices have to be made.  The receiving corps. would still be good even with the loss of Lawler or Schoen, because everyone else is capable of picking up the load and making plays.

Walters is a magician... if anyone can find a way, it's him. And if anyone's going, it's likely Schoen. As Booch alluded to, Lawler ain't going anywhere. And while Schoen is certainly going to get a raise, I could totally see him working with the club to find a way to keep both guys in order to keep winning. 

Replace Miller with an entry level special teamer, that saves you at lest 29,000. Now do the same with Briggs, Augustine and Darby. Pretty sure you're at a minimum of $116,000 right there in savings. Give that all to Schoen and he's at $187,000. Throw in some cap savings from this year and I bet you can get him to $200,000, Brady to $160,000-$170,000 and we haven't even gotten rid of somebody like Thomas.

Just now, rebusrankin said:

Replace Miller with an entry level special teamer, that saves you at lest 29,000. Now do the same with Briggs, Augustine and Darby. Pretty sure you're at a minimum of $116,000 right there in savings. Give that all to Schoen and he's at $187,000. Throw in some cap savings from this year and I bet you can get him to $200,000, Brady to $160,000-$170,000 and we haven't even gotten rid of somebody like Thomas.

thomas...Bye...Possibly Kolo...bye....Lawrence...bye...Prokopp...bye... replaced by entry level big boi QB for sneaks....hi there...75k bump in SMS this yr...hello....Biggie to take less, for lesser role...Hello....guys restructured to get part of 2024 money in 2023 cap space...hello.....its easily done

17 hours ago, johnzo said:

I think the idea is that we trade his negotiation rights before free agency in order to allow another team the chance to sign him before free agency starts.  That's how we got Drew Willy, we traded Jade Etienne to get his rights before the 2014 free agency season was underway.

Whether we could get a high first seems like a question.

Why would we trade an all star qb who still is playing at a high level for an unproven kid in Brown who has played well on a team that's superior to any team he'll sign for? Do you think Brown will have the same high level performing offensive line, receivers & running back as good as he has now in Winnipeg? Not a chance. Look what happened in Calgary with the dumping of BLM for jake Maier? The Stamps were afraid to lose him to free agency. Now the few fans left in Calgary want Maier gone & think he's a crappy qb. I don't see Brown playing as well as he did here elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Schoen will want $300,000 like we're paying Lawler. And he deserves it. he's an elite CFL receiver. Same with Demski & Oliveira. They're elite & should be paid. More than just a few older veterans on this list will be let go. This team will get younger because they can't afford to stay old. . 

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Chungh, Desjarlais, Casey Sayles and Lawler himself, all players the Bombers wanted to retain but couldn't afford to, every year Walters discusses the difficulty of keeping a winning roster intact.  There's no magic accounting, certain sacrifices have to be made.  The receiving corps. would still be good even with the loss of Lawler or Schoen, because everyone else is capable of picking up the load and making plays.

I think Rasheed Bailey is the guy who may not be back. BOO may be his replacement. 

13 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I've said it already, you can make any contract fit, but does it make your team better?

You've just replaced 4 vets with rookies and committed to not adding anyone via FA. Not saying you're wrong, but When Walters adds up all the different scenarios, is that the one that makes the team the best version of itself?

18 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I've said it already, you can make any contract fit, but does it make your team better?

You've just replaced 4 vets with rookies and committed to not adding anyone via FA. Not saying you're wrong, but When Walters adds up all the different scenarios, is that the one that makes the team the best version of itself?

4 vets but guys who are past their prime or easier to replace imo. No clue how MOS and Walters view it though.