The Winnipeg Thread

Tracker

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

Its a day that we are to celebrate being in Canada.   It's sad that the City can't do the same. 

https://www.theforks.com/events/signature-events-attractions-tours/signature-events/canada-day-at-the-forks

You're just making **** up in some lame attempt at pearl clutching.

8 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Wait what? 

There were festivities and all that stuff. There was much celebration and jubilation.

I am not sure what you are talking about.

drone show = sad man and no celebration

4 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

To be fair, that irked me to

Fireworks > drone show.

Fireworks + drone show = 2x+good

I enjoy fireworks as well, but I can understand why The Forks has opted to get rid of them for drone shows. 

Fireworks have an extremely detrimental impact on the environment: https://phys.org/news/2023-01-short-term-fireworks-long-term-impact-wildlife.html

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.theforks.com/events/signature-events-attractions-tours/signature-events/canada-day-at-the-forks

You're just making **** up in some lame attempt at pearl clutching.

drone show = sad man and no celebration

I clicked the link,  didn't see anything indicating the celebration of Canada?       I see mainly the celebration of Indigenous culture which is nice but not very inclusive for the vast majority of the population who are not a part of it?   You'd think the city would want to be inclusive and celebrate the day that represents nearly every one since everyone is a  Canadian citizen and should be proud of the Red and White.    But whatever the city wants to save money under the guise of being woke,  its just another example of bad decisions that are being made.   I'm sure the local businesses downtown / forks are thrilled that the huge drop off in turn out on what used to be their biggest day for sales.    

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

I clicked the link,  didn't see anything indicating the celebration of Canada?       I see mainly the celebration of Indigenous culture which is nice but not very inclusive for the vast majority of the population who are not a part of it?   You'd think the city would want to be inclusive and celebrate the day that represents nearly every one since everyone is a  Canadian citizen and should be proud of the Red and White.    But whatever the city wants to save money under the guise of being woke,  its just another example of bad decisions that are being made.   I'm sure the local businesses downtown / forks are thrilled that the huge drop off in turn out on what used to be their biggest day for sales.    

And you don't see many people of African descent at the Ukrainian festival in Dauphin, either. We can celebrate our various cultures and honour the national culture of tolerance. 

23 hours ago, Brandon said:

I see mainly the celebration of Indigenous culture which is nice but not very inclusive for the vast majority of the population who are not a part of it?   You'd think the city would want to be inclusive and celebrate the day that represents nearly every one since everyone is a  Canadian citizen and should be proud of the Red and White

I was there and I saw people that represented the huge diversity that exists within Canada/Winnipeg. Interesting how they seemed to feel included in the celebration.

Indigenous culture is a huge part of Canada/Winnipeg and represents everyone who lives in this land as that is part of the history of the land and the country. For that to not be included in a celebration on Canada Day, as it has been in the past, would be hugely disrespectful, intentionally not inclusive, and not a reflection of the country.

Finally, not everyone who lives in Winnipeg/Canada is a Canadian citizen, many are not.

4 minutes ago, WildPath said:

I was there and I saw people that represented the huge diversity that exists within Canada/Winnipeg. Interesting how they seemed to feel included in the celebration.

Indigenous culture is a huge part of Canada/Winnipeg and represents everyone who lives in this land as that is part of the history of the land and the country. For that to not be included in a celebration on Canada Day, as it has been in the past, would be hugely disrespectful, intentionally not inclusive, and not a reflection of the country.

Finally, not everyone who lives in Winnipeg/Canada is a Canadian citizen, many are not.

Gotta be honest. Not many indigenous "celebrate" Canada day. Not that we don't respect the country, or love it, just that it isn't a day that was particularly great for our people. It's a day to reflect, and to remember what was lost, and what needs to be accomplished for the future of our children and grand-children. Canada Day, for us, brings hope for reconciliation and rejuvenation in the spirit of cooperation and peace.

That being said, I completely agree that a Canada Day celebration in Winnipeg most definitely NEEDS to include indigenous culture and practices as a sign of reconciliation and to show respect to the original stewards of this nation.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Gotta be honest. Not many indigenous "celebrate" Canada day. Not that we don't respect the country, or love it, just that it isn't a day that was particularly great for our people. It's a day to reflect, and to remember what was lost, and what needs to be accomplished for the future of our children and grand-children. Canada Day, for us, brings hope for reconciliation and rejuvenation in the spirit of cooperation and peace.

That being said, I completely agree that a Canada Day celebration in Winnipeg most definitely NEEDS to include indigenous culture and practices as a sign of reconciliation and to show respect to the original stewards of this nation.

That is exactly why changes were made at The Forks regarding Canada Day celebrations: https://www.theforks.com/blog/360/finding-our-north-star-on-canada-day-at-the-forks-2023

The changes were necessary and, quite honestly, long overdue.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

That is exactly why changes were made at The Forks regarding Canada Day celebrations: https://www.theforks.com/blog/360/finding-our-north-star-on-canada-day-at-the-forks-2023

The changes were necessary and, quite honestly, long overdue.

I agree. I wasn't there, but family members of mine were and they thoroughly enjoyed it.

11 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Agreed. Have you noticed the day being looked upon as reflection rather than celebration is increasing more recently? I think it used to be assumed that everyone in Canada should celebrate Canada Day regardless of the history of the country and how indigenous people have been treated throughout the history and pre-history of the nation of Canada. Some posters still think this should be the case, regardless of the history, especially the geographically-specific history and significance of The Forks.

What I've observed is that many indigenous people/groups are realizing that it is okay not to celebrate and be happy with Canada Day and a portion of non-indigenous society realizing that not all people may see it as a great day or even a great history to celebrate. I think what we are seeing at the forks is an attempt to mesh together the somewhat recent tradition of fireworks and celebration with the acknowledgement of a hurtful past and that everyone may not have the same perspectives toward the day. I liked that the festivities allowed different groups of people to mark their own meaning for the day. You could go there to celebrate or you could go there to reflect about what the creation of Canada as a nation meant or you could even do a bit of both.

On 2023-07-06 at 7:27 AM, blue_gold_84 said:

I enjoy fireworks as well, but I can understand why The Forks has opted to get rid of them for drone shows. 

Fireworks have an extremely detrimental impact on the environment: https://phys.org/news/2023-01-short-term-fireworks-long-term-impact-wildlife.html

And my dogs I’ve had over my lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I work for the city. Here's a story for you from a couple of nights ago. 

The WTF winnipeg story. 

So a woman got on the 20 bus somewhere and she was out of it, on drugs, she was sitting at the back of the bus. She overdosed on her drugs and she died. The bus driver was told umm dude, she's dead but he didnt call 911 or anything and drove 25 minutes with the dead body on the bus. Apparently tsomeone held her up so she wouldn't fall over. For 25 minutes. Bus made its regular stops along the way. This was 2 nights ago. In her 20s. Dead  

On 2023-07-05 at 11:22 PM, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Wait what? 

There were festivities and all that stuff. There was much celebration and jubilation.

I am not sure what you are talking about.

Forks. Ass park. The downs. The lakes. They were all bumping 

Edited by Goalie

On 2023-07-18 at 7:27 PM, Goalie said:

So, I work for the city. Here's a story for you from a couple of nights ago. 

The WTF winnipeg story. 

So a woman got on the 20 bus somewhere and she was out of it, on drugs, she was sitting at the back of the bus. She overdosed on her drugs and she died. The bus driver was told umm dude, she's dead but he didnt call 911 or anything and drove 25 minutes with the dead body on the bus. Apparently tsomeone held her up so she wouldn't fall over. For 25 minutes. Bus made its regular stops along the way. This was 2 nights ago. In her 20s. Dead  

Forks. Ass park. The downs. The lakes. They were all bumping