The Winnipeg Thread

Tracker

1 hour ago, The Zipp said:

I'm only a half a block away,  I've not seen him yet but very concerning since lots of kids and people walk down Headmaster and on the Gateway trail.  

I believe that same Coyote attacked a dog a few weeks back (as per the local Facebook group I'm in).   

Edit: It appears that he's now hovering around Henderson Hwy and McIvor.  I'm guessing he has a den in Bunn's Creek. 

Edited by Brandon

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I'm only a half a block away,  I've not seen him yet but very concerning since lots of kids and people walk down Headmaster and on the Gateway trail.  

I believe that same Coyote attacked a dog a few weeks back (as per the local Facebook group I'm in).   

Edit: It appears that he's now hovering around Henderson Hwy and McIvor.  I'm guessing he has a den in Bunn's Creek. 

I am just on Brahms so keeping an eye out as we are close to the creek and the paths.  I saw a couple last year when walking in the park and just took a wide path around them.  Different level if they are actually biting kids though.  

73702649_1687789293702198_r.png

https://www.gofundme.com/f/secure-gabes-future?utm_campaign

We all know the Winnipeg legend that is Dancing Gabe. He’s an icon, who has brought joy and passion to Winnipeg for years and years. He has devoted his life to making Winnipeg and it’s sports scene, better. We are so fortunate that he, through his family, has shared his kindness with us and we have so many wonderful memories to thank Gabe for.

Beyond the happy, kind-hearted guy you see at games is a man who has a wonderful sister, Claudette, who has cared for Gabe and shared him with all of us. The reality is that as time passes, the plan for Gabe’s long-term care is currently unclear.

We know that Gabe will require financial help to ensure that he is well-cared for in the coming years. He deserves this. His sister and care giver, who has devoted her life to sharing Gabe with us, deserve this peace of mind.

The Ace Burpee Show recognizes this and we are going to work with Gabe’s family to raise as much money as we can to ensure that his care is certain, that we can SECURE GABE’S FUTURE.

In collaboration with Gabe’s family, we have created a GO FUND ME page. 100% of proceeds collected will be saved and used to care for Gabe when he needs it.

100% of donations will be put in an RDSP, in his name.

Gabe has always been great to me and the kids whenever we have seen him at games and other events.    Hopefully folks can donate and/or share the link to others. 

On 2023-06-25 at 12:41 PM, The Zipp said:

I am just on Brahms so keeping an eye out as we are close to the creek and the paths.  I saw a couple last year when walking in the park and just took a wide path around them.  Different level if they are actually biting kids though.  

Again last night...they say second in a month??  More like second in a week - that is a problem.

A four-year-old child in the Headmaster Row area of North Kildonan was attacked by a coyote Saturday evening. The child has been treated and released from hospital, Manitoba Natural Resources and Northern Development said in a press release Sunday.

This is the second attack in a month on a human by a coyote in the Winnipeg area. The first incident involved a nine-year-old child who was attacked on June 24.

Conservation officers have stepped up patrols in the area and hired a trapper from the Manitoba Trappers Association to assist. The public is advised to take extra precautions, especially with young children.

Edited by The Zipp

On 2023-07-03 at 10:17 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Yeah there is audio to go with it. Some said they could not hear it that well,

I was right beside where they setup and I didn't hear a word. I only heard the muffled sounds.

I thought the drone show was an interesting idea and a nice change from fireworks. The group I was with was impressed with the drone show, but then let down how quickly it ended. Seemed like something they could have done into a more lengthy show, but it was nice to see something different.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

I was right beside where they setup and I didn't hear a word. I only heard the muffled sounds.

I thought the drone show was an interesting idea and a nice change from fireworks. The group I was with was impressed with the drone show, but then let down how quickly it ended. Seemed like something they could have done into a more lengthy show, but it was nice to see something different.

Generally the batteries on those drones are only good for 10-15 minutes, so a 10 minute show seems about right for what they are capable of.  Do do anything longer, they'd need another full set of drones.

5 hours ago, Sard said:

Generally the batteries on those drones are only good for 10-15 minutes, so a 10 minute show seems about right for what they are capable of.  Do do anything longer, they'd need another full set of drones.

Didn't even think of that. Makes sense.

How about a grand finale next year where the crowd gets to shoot fireworks at the drones and see how long it takes to down them?

1 hour ago, JCon said:

F0PWiv3WAAAvVzE?format=jpg&name=small

Canada...fireworks

USA...50/50

18 hours ago, Sard said:

Drone wise it was a very small show. 5 years from now it'll be 1000 drones.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/vulcan-iron-works-building-fire-history-1.6896881

At one time, it was bustling with hundreds of workers who would help spark the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919.

But as the storied Vulcan Iron Works building burned on Tuesday — sending plumes of dark smoke up over Winnipeg's Point Douglas neighbourhood in a blaze that covered an area as long as a football field — historians said the story of the industrial complex is more complicated than that.

A black-and-white photo shows old industrial buildings.

Really fascinating read about this building. It's often easy to forget how much history this city has.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Clearly.

no fireworks and whatnot = no celebration of a country

/s

Its a day that we are to celebrate being in Canada.   It's sad that the City can't do the same. 

Edited by Brandon