week 1 talk

Booch

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Everyone in this day and age tries to come up with some all encompassing metric to rank sports.... it's not exact like that in a team sport. Stats are fun, but they aren't the be all and end all. 

Trevor Harris is a perfect example of a numbers don't tell the full story type of QB.     

I think O'Shea has been lurking here:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea isn’t happy about the muddled mess created by the CFL’s new ‘nationalized American’ rule as the regular season gets underway.

"I think there’s still confusion about exactly the intent of these sorts of things,” O’Shea said on Thursday, a day ahead of the Bombers’ season opener on Friday night against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (7:30 p.m., IG Field).

“We will continue to do what’s right for our team. But I do think it’s important that everybody involved in the CFL works together to make sure they’re doing the best for our league.”

"Right now there’s a lot of chatter, a lot of negativity about this, and It’s everybody’s responsibility to avoid that and make sure that we showcase the absolute best of our league, especially with more coverage in other places,” O’Shea said.

“To have that overshadowed by some confusion … let’s just hope it doesn’t go on too long.”

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/bombers-oshea-not-a-fan-of-confusion-created-by-cfls-new-nationalized-american-rule

Edited by WinnipegGordo

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

CFL and half baked rule changes, name a more iconic duo. 

Socks and sandals, the fashion police's favorite duo.

CFL rule changes can be hit or miss, but it's important to acknowledge their willingness to innovate and adapt. Feedback and constructive discussions can help shape the future of our sport.

14 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

CFL rule changes can be hit or miss, but it's important to acknowledge their willingness to innovate and adapt. Feedback and constructive discussions can help shape the future of our sport.

If nothing else, it gives us something to chatter about while waiting for the season to start later today.

14 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

True. They do have the occasional good rule. But also a lot of duds that confuse and alienate the fan base.

I wish they'd just market themselves better tbh

3 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Strange, no Bomber players statistically ranked in the top 10 of DB's, LB's or O-line, which seems to be mostly dominated by Ti-Cats.

Injuries turn over in positions and end of the season packing it in early. Ol struggled lots especially early to mid last year. Dbs saw a ton of change and a couple guys struggle continually. 
 No nose tackle really hurt our front too. That said if Jeffcoat was healthy he might’ve been the no1 de for pressures. 

5 hours ago, BBlink said:

True. They do have the occasional good rule. But also a lot of duds that confuse and alienate the fan base.

I wish they'd just market themselves better tbh

I don’t understand the rule that hurts the punting team when the receiving team lets the ball roll out of bounds. As demonstrated by Rhymes of BC playing the Bombers at BC Place last year. 

7 hours ago, Rod Black said:

I don’t understand the rule that hurts the punting team when the receiving team lets the ball roll out of bounds. As demonstrated by Rhymes of BC playing the Bombers at BC Place last year. 

That’s only a kickoff rule. If player is out of bounds when the ball is fielded, the ball is considered an extension of the player and is itself out of bounds, making it an illegal kickoff. Don’t ask me why it is allowed to be that way. 

13 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That’s only a kickoff rule. If player is out of bounds when the ball is fielded, the ball is considered an extension of the player and is itself out of bounds, making it an illegal kickoff. Don’t ask me why it is allowed to be that way. 

Thanks for clarifying. 

so...Osh opposes the Ratio thing...so...likely his stubborn self will not utilize it, even tho it can be a benefit...cause thats his attitude....Like I said not against Osh and glad he our coach and is one main reasons we successful but at times he does questionable things...and likes to go against the grain....for who knows why

I know I'm in the minority but I have alwsys loved Osh's "**** you" attitude, especially when it comes to Canadian players. Osh's take will always be "**** your shenanigans, we'll go Full 1994 Grey Cup and beat your Americans with our Canadians. 

Now I don't know that it's gonna work, but I respect the hell out of him for doing it. 

Just now, Noeller said:

I know I'm in the minority but I have alwsys loved Osh's "**** you" attitude, especially when it comes to Canadian players. Osh's take will always be "**** your shenanigans, we'll go Full 1994 Grey Cup and beat your Americans with our Canadians. 

Now I don't know that it's gonna work, but I respect the hell out of him for doing it. 

I love it too but you need to play to the rules. If it's against the spirit, then the league needs to address it through rule changes. 

I think they need to up the ratio and allow any player with 3 (or 4) years of service with a club to be considered nationalized. Simplifies it, makes veterans more valuable but allows new players to come in. But, they must make it easier to understand because even us geniuses can't always figure it out. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Thats a big fault with him...he has a stubborn attitude at ties with things that really...he wont change so may as well accept....U may not like something, but if it there you may as well make use of it...like everyone else will...no sense being some Phariah or whatever it is he figures he's accomplishing

If declaring say Willie or Jefferson...or whomever allows us to have one of them take the ratio spot for 23 snaps for Jake...to keep him fresh, and allow a Haba..Thomas...whomever to hit the field and essentially make us better as a unit...then why not do it....but in typical Osh fashion he will be the one and only hold out...for no other reason than his own belief value....even tho it basically isnt making his team better... I bet Janarion gets 1...to 3 "token" reps on offene in place of Woli..Or Demski...and will see more reps replacing Agudosi or Bailey....Just because

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

I love it too but you need to play to the rules. If it's against the spirit, then the league needs to address it through rule changes. 

I think they need to up the ratio and allow any player with 3 (or 4) years of service with a club to be considered nationalized. Simplifies it, makes veterans more valuable but allows new players to come in. But, they must make it easier to understand because even us geniuses can't always figure it out. 

its prettty easy to understand...A player who qualifiescan play23 snaps in place of a Canadian allowing an extra DI on the field...pretty self explanatory if you ask me

Just my two cents, but I'd like to see how this actually plays out before folks start jumping all over Osh. Dude's been to three straight Grey Cups but suddenly his roster management is poor. He certainly has his faults and definitely has and will make mistakes - including with the roster - but I want to see how this actually is deployed first.

He is going to do what's best for the team. I am skeptical he would just skip over a possible advantage just for the hell of it.

1 hour ago, Captain Blue said:

Just my two cents, but I'd like to see how this actually plays out before folks start jumping all over Osh. Dude's been to three straight Grey Cups but suddenly his roster management is poor. He certainly has his faults and definitely has and will make mistakes - including with the roster - but I want to see how this actually is deployed first.

He is going to do what's best for the team. I am skeptical he would just skip over a possible advantage just for the hell of it.

It’s not suddenly. I’ve been annoyed by it for years. Everyone thinks O’Shea is still the same rulebook wizard always gaming the system trying to find an advantage, still the same guy who was busting out trick plays, still the same guy who will do anything to get one up on the other team on gameday.

He hasn’t been that guy for years. O’Shea is an amazing head coach and he’s going to have a spot in the Ring of Honour, Hall of Fame, statue out front, etc when it’s all said and done but his actual game day management has been questionable for a few years. But I get it. I don’t always love it, but I get where he’s coming from. I just wish he could find a balance. I understand the importance of making Tanner Cadwallader feel like he’s just as valuable to a winning roster as Willie Jefferson, but there is importance in putting a guy on your roster who is better than Tanner Cadwallader as well.

59 minutes ago, Noeller said:

In terms of roster layout.... I'm curious how much input Hall and Pierce have.... Like we put all the blame on Osh, and that's fine... But I wonder if it's all him. 

You think the offensive and defensive coordinators are telling O’Shea they want less skill position players in the lineup in lieu of special teams crash test dummies? 

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

It’s not suddenly. I’ve been annoyed by it for years. Everyone thinks O’Shea is still the same rulebook wizard always gaming the system trying to find an advantage, still the same guy who was busting out trick plays, still the same guy who will do anything to get one up on the other team on gameday.

He hasn’t been that guy for years. O’Shea is an amazing head coach and he’s going to have a spot in the Ring of Honour, Hall of Fame, statue out front, etc when it’s all said and done but his actual game day management has been questionable for a few years. But I get it. I don’t always love it, but I get where he’s coming from. I just wish he could find a balance. I understand the importance of making Tanner Cadwallader feel like he’s just as valuable to a winning roster as Willie Jefferson, but there is importance in putting a guy on your roster who is better than Tanner Cadwallader as well.

You think the offensive and defensive coordinators are telling O’Shea they want less skill position players in the lineup in lieu of special teams crash test dummies? 

as have I...It didnt just come up now...I been bringing it up for yrs too....agree...he is gonna likely be the all-time win leader here for coaches, and likelyadd to the Grey Cups...but taking of the blue tinted glasses...he has faults...a couple glaring ones and yeah I said it...and will say it again...we have had the horses and talent to win more than we lost lately....but I will stand by my take we have done so in a few occasions despite his bizzare roster management on more than a few occasionsLuck eventually will bite u in the ass on the way out the door...You have to have critical input/opinion along with all the blue pumping

almost certain it would be...well...should be.....guess we will see

And if we were wise....we would declare a Nationlized player on defense...and make use of it if Haba is on roster....but I guess some extra Global and Import LB's to run around on teams so you can bag out your Dline on a hot humid day is more important than a global DB and American end...both of whom tkae reps on teams...and would help you in dline rotation, and in case a DB gets hurt so yu dont have to make 5 position switches to cover it...but hey...I will slap on the Blue goggles and lick back some Gold Kool-Aide and ignore the lunacy of it...

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

The one for me that I’m keeping an eye on is if we scratch Haba or Cole tonight. It needs to be Cole.

I would also Insert Cole for Clements this game and scratch him....