Week 8: Non Champ Games

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Yeah it was a bad decision and worse throw. 

I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad decision... He was throwing to an open slant that was going to catch the ball 2 yards from the endzone

If he hits his guy in stride with accuracy his REC just needs to power through 1 guy to get the TD, if he goes down quick they get 1 more shot from 1-2 yards out.

Also don't know  where the open receiver was relative to his defender when he started his throwing motion... might not have made the break inside yet and only looked as open as he did because his defender was reacting to Davis throwing the slant

Edited by BomberfanMKS

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

Montreal I think will have a terrible time against us,  and if for whatever reason Harris gets out of the game then I can't imagine how many INT's Davis will toss.    That final play... he had a guy open deep in the end zone and his receiver he was trying to get it towards was also open had he not completely over thrown him by a mile.  Just terrible. 

We always play like garbage in Montreal. We invent different ways to lose at Percival Molson Stadium. I can't remember when we won there last time. Or how many times we've won there the past 10 years. The last game we played there convinced Sean McGuire that his future as a starting CFL qb was almost non existent so he retired.

I hear that officials still can't find the ball Davis thru. It's probably halfway to Quebec City by now floating in the St. Lawrence.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I don't have the numbers but I feel like we have consistently won in Montreal for at least a decade and the only reason we lost last year was because it was a monsoon and we rested a bunch of starters. You're grasping at straws for things to complain about Al... 

10 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad decision... He was throwing to an open slant that was going to catch the ball 2 yards from the endzone

If he hits his guy in stride with accuracy his REC just needs to power through 1 guy to get the TD, if he goes down quick they get 1 more shot from 1-2 yards out.

Also don't know  where the open receiver was relative to his defender when he started his throwing motion... might not have made the break inside yet and only looked as open as he did because his defender was reacting to Davis throwing the slant

Bottom line is a qb with 6 years in the CFL should have made that throw. I don't care if he's a backup. Why teams keep these qbs with bricks for brains around year after year is the question that should be asked. If I was Muchacho, Davis would have been on a flight outta Montreal this morning.

16 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

4 seconds on the clock when he threw it, one guy in front and two behind,  5 yards short of the end zone ? 

I’d call it a bad decision .

Edited by Geebrr

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We always play like garbage in Montreal. We invent different ways to lose at Percival Molson Stadium. I can't remember when we won there last time. Or how many times we've won there the past 10 years. The last game we played there last year convinced Sean McGuire that his future as a starting CFL qb was almost non existent.

We did lose there in 2019 & 2021 but in 2018, we (Strevy actually) crushed them 56-10 early in the season.  

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2471/

We also won there in 2013 (twice), 2014, 2016 & 2017.

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't have the numbers but I feel like we have consistently won in Montreal for at least a decade and the only reason we lost last year was because it was a monsoon and we rested a bunch of starters. You're grasping at straws for things to complain about Al... 

Nah, c'mon. McGuire was a deer in the headlights that entire game. Do you really think if he had played well & showed he had potential to be the Heir Apparent to Collaros, he'd have retired? No way. At the very least other teams would have shown interest in him & he could have moved on to a bigger payday as a free agent.

We fans coddle some players & outright destroy others with our comments. We play a rookie safety & he gets burned over the top for a couple of TDs or is late reading the play. Then it's "Cut the bum!!" "He's brutal!!" "OMG where did we get that loser from??" But a qb??? "Oh, he needs time." Well, he needs experience to read defenses". "He deserves another chaance because the weather was bad." Well, so does that safety.

Weather, shmeather. Everybody had to play in it. McGuire had a chance to step up & he didn't. Yes, he had a depleted roster but so what? He didn't have to win to show he could play. He just needed to show he understood the offense & reading defenses which he didn't do. He was struggling & no qb likes to play short yardage & get beat up struggling for a yard. That would have been McGuire's role again this season plus he'd have been pushed by Dru Brown so he retired.

I liked McGuire. He had a strong arm & all the tools physically that he could play so it was disappointing when he retired. Not to be, I guess.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

4 seconds on the clock when he threw it, into basically triple coverage  5 yards short of the end zone ? 

I’d call it a bad decision .

Triple coverage is a stretch, two defenders were 5-7 yards from the REC where he would have caught the ball - Actually looking at the play more closely I kind of think the receiver is much more at fault than I first realized.

Davis starts his throwing motion with the receiver moving to his right at speed - The receiver stopped as he started his throwing motion.   Not 100% but if the receiver hadn't stopped Davis' throw would have been MUCH more accurate.

Check the recap at 8:27 - I'm not entirely sure why the REC slowed up when he did, he was VERY open if he kept running full speed.

9 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Triple coverage is a stretch, two defenders were 5-7 yards from the REC where he would have caught the ball - Actually looking at the play more closely I kind of think the receiver is much more at fault than I first realized.

Davis starts his throwing motion with the receiver moving to his right at speed - The receiver stopped as he started his throwing motion.   Not 100% but if the receiver hadn't stopped Davis' throw would have been MUCH more accurate.

Check the recap at 8:27 - I'm not entirely sure why the REC slowed up when he did, he was VERY open if he kept running full speed.

I reviewed it. Davis was way late throwing the ball to Meyala. He was wide freaking open a couple of seconds earlier & he might have scored. Instead Davis decided to move around & start to run delaying his throw. I don't see Meyala slowing down very much. Not to be overthrown by 5 yards. That was Davis hesitating & panicking. The ball was supposed to be delivered earlier which is why Metyala looks like he hesitated not knowing what he should do on his route or where Davis was going to throw the ball. A 6 year veteran qb playing like a rookie with no experience. Dreadful play.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

33 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Triple coverage was a stretch. 

I’ll watch again to see what you see about the receiver slowing up.

Edited by Geebrr

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Don't forget pissing away a huge lead a couple seasons ago.

57 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I reviewed it. Davis was way late throwing the ball to Meyala. He was wide freaking open a couple of seconds earlier & he might have scored. Instead Davis decided to move around & start to run delaying his throw. I don't see Meyala slowing down very much. Not to be overthrown by 5 yards. That was Davis hesitating & panicking. The ball was supposed to be delivered earlier which is why Metyala looks like he hesitated not knowing what he should do on his route or where Davis was going to throw the ball. A 6 year veteran qb playing like a rookie with no experience. Dreadful play.

No one has mentioned that this was his first throw of the game or that the spotter removed Harris on the final drive of the game based on a 15 yd. UR penalty they accessed to the Hamilton DB.  Yes Harris received a direct head-shot, but exhibited no signs of impairment at all, and yet he was yanked from the game at the most critical time. This differs from the incident were Collaros was pulled early this season as he was impaired by the impact.

Pretty fair trade-off IMO, if BLM is threatening to win tomorrow night's game on a last-minute drive it's good to know intentionally taking a head-shot penalty can force the spotter to remove him immediately from the game.

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Don't forget pissing away a huge lead a couple seasons ago.

it was an important loss, as it marked the end of the Hecht era and BA being put in at safety (if memory serves).  

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

No one has mentioned that this was his first throw of the game or that the spotter removed Harris on the final drive of the game based on a 15 yd. UR penalty they accessed to the Hamilton DB.  Yes Harris received a direct head-shot, but exhibited no signs of impairment at all, and yet he was yanked from the game at the most critical time. This differs from the incident were Collaros was pulled early this season as he was impaired by the impact.

Pretty fair trade-off IMO, if BLM is threatening to win tomorrow night's game on a last-minute drive it's good to know intentionally taking a head-shot penalty can force the spotter to remove him immediately from the game.

I definitely can see the Riders using this to their advantage.

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

it was an important loss, as it marked the end of the Hecht era and BA being put in at safety (if memory serves).  

I definitely can see the Riders using this to their advantage.

No kidding, Marino will be looking for ways to redeem himself with his teammates.  Hopefully the Riders aren't within a country mile of the Bombers in the last quarter of any game this year.

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

No kidding, Marino will be looking for ways to redeem himself with his teammates.  Hopefully the Riders aren't within a country mile of the Bombers in the last quarter of any game this year.

there we go, we figured out why we need to keep Prokop - to go into Rider games if the score is close and take the head shots from their scumbags...

17 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I've been saying that on social media after the game & today. Just hit the other qb late & he'll be pulled. The CFL has to come up with a strategy that the offending player has to leave the game after the hit, have stiff penalties & suspensions. Or this is going to be a common occurence. Like who is really being penalized in this situation???

34 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I've been saying that on social media after the game & today. Just hit the other qb late & he'll be pulled. The CFL has to come up with a strategy that the offending player has to leave the game after the hit, have stiff penalties & suspensions. Or this is going to be a common occurence. Like who is really being penalized in this situation???

For sure, just imagine the desperation that runs through a players mind once playoff money is at risk, it's worth the shot!  I bet Simoni is already thinking about this one.

Edited by Fatty Liver

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

For sure, just imagine the desperation that runs through a players mind once playoff money is at risk, it's worth the shot!

You don't think Garrett Marino would be stupid enough to take out a starting qb late in a game with a late hit? I don't think he has many brain cells to seriously thin k it through. 

Game 2 tonight. Sask at BC. Sask with the built in excuse if they lose (Faj’s knee). I think Sasks defence keeps this one close but ultimately another loss for Sask. This is sort of a win win game for the Bombers. BC wins it keeps Sask in the basement. If Sask wins it keeps BC another game back. 
Hoping for an exciting game either way.