2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

Has there been a more arduous stretch of football for a team than this 10-game one the Bombers just finished? I can't think of one. And yet, the team went 9-1 and sits comfortably atop the division going into its first bye week. Let the Lions have their top spot in meaningless power rankings on 3DN.

Who the hell put together such a brutal schedule, anyway?

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah typical. No consideration for it being the end of the toughest schedule stretch any team will play this year. 9 games no byes 3 in 10 couple series month on the road etc etc. 

and realistically we are the reason we lost missing a absurdly easy kick at the end of regulation 😂

41 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

and realistically we are the reason we lost missing a absurdly easy kick at the end of regulation 😂

I missed the 4th quarter and haven’t been able to catch up yet but we had tons of squandered opportunities to win that game. 
 I think that’s about as good a game to lose as it gets. The players will go into the bye with a chip on their shoulder. I expect a very high effort complete game against Calgary next week. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

although the CFL, geniuses that they are, did the same thing with their marketing slogan this year #BringEmOut, which was already in use by an NCAA team (Nebraska? Someone, anyhow...) and they never bothered to check or ask. Just used it. Dumb, dumb, 

Not bringemout....it was #LetThemKnow or something that is currently the slogan for the Cleveland Cavaliers....not only is it their slogan, but they've paid twitter to put their logo on any hashtag with that saying.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

The Riders aren't too far off either...  everyone in the CFL knows what "The W" is.

I think that's the point...in terms of everyone knowing...They're trying to rub the Bombers L in their face because they got the W. It's an ok idea, just poorly executed...kinda like their Offense.

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Not bringemout....it was #LetThemKnow or something that is currently the slogan for the Cleveland Cavaliers....not only is it their slogan, but they've paid twitter to put their logo on any hashtag with that saying.

I think that's the point...in terms of everyone knowing...They're trying to rub the Bombers L in their face because they got the W. It's an ok idea, just poorly executed...kinda like their Offense.

Too deep for them... I don't think anyone (especially in their fanbase) is that clever.  They should enjoy it now though because they won't get another one for a while.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I missed the 4th quarter and haven’t been able to catch up yet but we had tons of squandered opportunities to win that game. 
 I think that’s about as good a game to lose as it gets. The players will go into the bye with a chip on their shoulder. I expect a very high effort complete game against Calgary next week. 

Agreed

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

In the first half of the season we played 2 teams/3 games against +.500 teams. The tough part of the season is ahead of us, not behind us.

Calgary  - 1 

Saskatchewan   - 3

Hamilton  - 1

Edmonton - 1

BC - 2  

So 3 tough games and 5 easy games is a tough part of the schedule?

In the first half of the season we played 2 teams/3 games against +.500 teams. The tough part of the season is ahead of us, not behind us.

With that in mind ....'tough schedule' the rest of the way......sure is nice to have those bye weeks during that time

Edited by Stickem

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Calgary  - 1 

Saskatchewan   - 3

Hamilton  - 1

Edmonton - 1

BC - 2  

So 3 tough games and 5 easy games is a tough part of the schedule?

BC, Calgary, Sask are all above .500. That's 6 games against teams above .500 out of 8. All of them are so called 4 point games.

Stickem.. Yup, it's nice to have the bye weeks, but the level of competition is higher from this point forward.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

The 10 game tough schedule is separate from the records of the teams that were played. Don’t think for a second the other teams in the first ten weeks, didn’t block, tackle and play physical as hell. Obviously a toll on a body during a 10 week stretch is going to affect the Bombers because they too need to block, tackle and run like hell. Wolitarsky even mentioned, he has never had to push himself so much. Your measure of physical taxing based on a teams record rather than actual playing against other professionals physicality, is a fallacy. 

Edited by Rod Black

Just now, Rod Black said:

The 10 game tough schedule is separate from the records of the teams that were played. Don’t think for a second the other teams in the first ten weeks, didn’t block, tackle and play physical as hell. Obviously a toll on a body during a 10 week stretch is going to affect the Bombers because they too need to block, tackle and run like hell. Wolitarsky even mentioned, he has never had to push himself so much. Your measure of physical taxing based on a teams record taker than actual playing against other professionals, is a fallacy. 

Not to mention that the riders may very well be lower than.500 by the time we play them.

And last time the Bombers played bc the narrative was that it was finally a tough team and they molly whopped them. And calgary has seen the Bombers play some of their beat games as well.

This past game against Montreal was a trap game that they finally succumbed to. Grueling schedule, inconsequential opponent all that. And they still were in a position to win it but for a poor kick.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Not to mention that the riders may very well be lower than.500 by the time we play them.

And last time the Bombers played bc the narrative was that it was finally a tough team and they molly whopped them. And calgary has seen the Bombers play some of their beat games as well.

This past game against Montreal was a trap game that they finally succumbed to. Grueling schedule, inconsequential opponent all that. And they still were in a position to win it but for a poor kick.

The goalposts move after every play, every game. It's just nonsense at this point and should be treated as such. 

28 minutes ago, JCon said:

The goalposts move after every play, every game. It's just nonsense at this point and should be treated as such. 

I will suggest that it is an attempt to delegitimize posters on MBB, sports writers, football analysts and anyone that has acknowledged and empathized with the physical drain and fatigue which 99% of observers take as being a tough schedule. Disrespectful. The assertions are out of context and the example deeply flawed. 

Edited by Rod Black

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

We played the only teams that were above .500 outside of ssk. We've played and beaten every team outside of ssk. The only difference with the 2nd half of the schedule is they won't have to do it for 10 straight weeks without a week off....like everyone else they played.

I'm not trying to delegitimatize anyone. I'm not saying that 10 straight weeks isn't physically draining. I'm not changing the goalposts. I'm not saying 9-1 doesn't make us the top team in the league. I'm not comparing us to any other team or their schedules.

I am saying that the level of competition in the first 10 weeks is lower than the level of competition going forward, because we only played 3 games against +.500 teams in the first 10 games and we play 6 of our next 8 against +.500 teams (As it stands at this moment).

I know folks around here hate the Riders, but you've got to admit they're better than most of the teams we played in the first half of the season.

BC, Calgary, Sask are all above .500. That's 6 games against teams above .500 out of 8. All of them are so called 4 point games.

Stickem.. Yup, it's nice to have the bye weeks, but the level of competition is higher from this point forward.

Something has changed with you recently. You used to be better and this stuff. Are you all good?

Explain to me how these above .500 teams got to their record if not for playing each other - and someone having to win. 

Edited by Geebrr

Right now there are only 4 teams in the CFL with a winning record and they're all in the West so of course in the second half as we get into mainly divisional games the schedule is tougher in terms of the record of the opponents. Winnipeg is 3-0 in games versus winning teams, BC is 2-1, Calgary 0-3, the Riders 0-1.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Right now there are only 4 teams in the CFL with a winning record and they're all in the West so of course in the second half as we get into mainly divisional games the schedule is tougher in terms of the record of the opponents. Winnipeg is 3-0 in games versus winning teams, BC is 2-1, Calgary 0-3, the Riders 0-1.

We have beaten every West team we’ve played. The only one we haven’t is the one with the worst QB in the division