Bye week blues...

It's weird not having a Bomber beat-down to look forward to this weekend, but I'm trying to find ways to pass the time until next Saturday.  I had a listen to this interview with Brent Butt which was mildly entertaining...

I have to admit though, when the interviewer said "we've all seen Saskatchewan win plenty of Grey Cups" I had to spit out my coffee laughing.  Really?  Four cups in 111 years is "plenty"??  LOL LOL LOL

So that got me thinking - do most Rider fans even know how futile their franchise is, or do they think that there is some winning legacy that doesn't exist?  

This is just bye-week banter.  Believe me most weeks I have much better things to do than contemplate such mundane thoughts.

14 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So that got me thinking - do most Rider fans even know how futile their franchise is, or do they think that there is some winning legacy that doesn't exist?  

Considering most of them jumped on the bandwagon more recently they probably think they've won a couple in short order and therefore it's a top notch franchise.

All right, I'm going to keep dumping random thoughts into this thread.  As long as I've been alive, or can remember anyway, Bob Irving has been calling the Bomber games on CJOB.  That's a very long freaking time.  I decided to look into Bob on Wikipedia and I found this:

Bob Irving (sportscaster)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bob "Knuckles" Irving, OM (born 1950) is a Canadian sportscaster and the radio play-by-play voice for the Canadian Football League's Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He is also the former sports director for CJOB radio in Manitoba and a member of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.[1]

A native of Regina, Saskatchewan

Is Bob Irving the Manchurian Candidate, sent here by Regina to infiltrate us and eventually cause our downfall?  I realize that he's been here for 51 years, but you never know when he might be activated by his handlers.  Yes, this is what a bye-week has reduced me to....lol...

You guys didn't know he was a Gapper? Born and raised... Went to school out there. Got a gig as a cub reporter for CKLQ Brandon and was up covering the Grey Owl Golf Tournament (big prestigious tourney) at Clear Lake in the early 70s when he ran into the the GM for CJOB at the time who talked to him about coming east to work for him. I believe it was Friar Nicholson (??) was calling both Jets and Bombers at the time and didn't want to do both anymore so he dumped the Bombers gig on Knucks... Around 74 or something?? And he's had it ever since. Kenny Ploen and Mitch Zalnasky, I believe, doing colour at the time. 

It's a fascinating story anyhow... I've been such a huge fan forever, but his guest spot on Handled Internally shed more light and he told some really great stories.... 

7 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

It's weird not having a Bomber beat-down to look forward to this weekend, but I'm trying to find ways to pass the time until next Saturday.  I had a listen to this interview with Brent Butt which was mildly entertaining...

I have to admit though, when the interviewer said "we've all seen Saskatchewan win plenty of Grey Cups" I had to spit out my coffee laughing.  Really?  Four cups in 111 years is "plenty"??  LOL LOL LOL

This is just bye-week banter.  Believe me most weeks I have much better things to do than contemplate such mundane thoughts.

Keep your wild thoughts to the shower only please lol

Okay, so the Riders were founded in 1910 that means if they don't win another Grey Cup by 2026, they will average one Grey Cup every (116 years / 4 Grey Cups) = 29 years.

Meaning they would average our longest Grey Cup drought for each championship they have ever won.

In contrast, for the Bombers to achieve this average years per Championship, we would have to not win another Grey Cup from now until 2249

I remember they used to do Tae Kwan Do shows at half time in the 80's.  These guys in full on robes kicking their way all the way across the field.  I remember one game against BC it was pouring rain and those guys still went out there and kicked their hearts out.  I remember I had mad respect for that.

16 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I remember they used to do Tae Kwan Do shows at half time in the 80's.  These guys in full on robes kicking their way all the way across the field.  I remember one game against BC it was pouring rain and those guys still went out there and kicked their hearts out.  I remember I had mad respect for that.

I dont know why but this sounds like the basis for a really bad knock off NES or SNES game.

20 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If you uttered those words in Strawberries back in the day you would have been punched. 

I mean, relative to the other bands they've trotted out over the years. 

But, I would really prefer that they (the gameday media peeps) modernize their music line-up. They play a few modern songs through the game and during warm-up but rely so much on the classic rock. I don't care what the older gen thinks of the music because I doubt they'll stop coming when some Drake is played. But, they have an opportunity to engage the youth with music.

It also drives me crazy when they don't stick to their theme. Country night? Play all country, don't mix in a ton of the classic rock stuff. 90s night? Great, but only play 90s music. 

(Them mostly did and that was fun to sing along with for 90s night)

Edited by JCon

I got them steadily depressin low down mind messin waiting on the bye week blues. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I like the house band. There I said it. 

Bite your tongue sir. Lol the house bands are better than the garbage pop country tsn subjects us to but not a lot better. 

I also love when they have like 4 popwarner mini games going on too. A kids vs buzz boomer and captain blue with cheerleaders on each side would be great. 

26 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I also love when they have like 4 popwarner mini games going on too. A kids vs buzz boomer and captain blue with cheerleaders on each side would be great. 

Yes, those are fun. Next year, I think they'll be able to bring all of this back, kids, dogs, dancers, big plastic balls, and t-shirt cannons.

Don't tell Noeller, though.

Just now, JCon said:

Yes, those are fun. Next year, I think they'll be able to bring all of this back, kids, dogs, dancers, big plastic balls, and t-shirt cannons.

Don't tell Noeller, though.

And most importantly, the hardrick hop. Its gonna be crazy next season going back to every thing we had going on before. (knock on wood)

1 minute ago, Rod Black said:

I got the

bye week bluuuues

I got the 

bye week bluuuues

my baby left me

she took my bottle

yet nuttin worse than

The bye eye eye week bluuuuues 

aint no sunshine when bomber footballs gone

only darkness every day

aint no sunshine when bomber footballs gone