Mid-season CFL player awards - MOP

TrueBlue4ever

Aside from the obvious talent infusion, it cannot be overstated how important the continuity in the front office and coaching staff has been to developing a consistent culture. Wade Miller came in and wasn’t afraid to step on toes to get the business side working, but knew to let the football ops do their thing without him being overbearing and without threat of firing if it wasn’t fixed quickly. Kyle Walters was freed of the shackles of Joe Mack, and brought in McManus and Goveia as assistants and they built slowly but deliberately. Mike O’Shea brought in at the same time, and given the time to grow into the job, despite fans screaming for his head many times after the 5-13 season, the BC playoff loss in 2016, the home playoff loss in 2017, the West Final loss in 2018, even up to halftime of the 2019 West semi. O’Shea brought in LaPo and Hall to head up his offence and defence, and instead of fearing that he might be replaced by another former head coach (as he was once asked by the media), he embraced the wealth of knowledge they brought to the table and saw it as an asset to have 3 de facto head coaches on staff, even (again) when games screamed for changes with every setback. Hard to believe now, but Hall had his head on a platter as much as LaPo did in 2019 until the final 30 minutes against Calgary. Promotions came from within for line coach, special teams, and QB coach to OC, showing loyalty and continuity. All this to say that PATIENCE (a dirty word to sports fans, especially in a 9 team league where turnaround can happen quickly in either direction) to allow the parts to mesh has gotten us to where we are today, and that culture shift starts from the top down, when egos are shelved and all know they have security to build it up the right way. 

14 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

I’d forgotten I’d posted it, so I’m surprised you remembered. 

I always review a thread going back one or 2 pages just to get a feel for the conversation. What do you make of Cody Fajardo's comments? Not only did he criticize his receivers but also Jason Maas's play calling as well as not agreeing with his call on the late interception. Not a good situation. 

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I always review a thread going back one or 2 pages just to get a feel for the conversation. What do you make of Cody Fajardo's comments? Not only did he criticize his receivers but also Jason Maas's play calling as well as not agreeing with his call on the late interception. Not a good situation. 

Not a good situation by any means. Cody has been in his own head this season, evident when he has a miscue he just seems upset every time. I remember at the LDC he missed an open receiver on his second throw of the game and he was smacking his helmet and seemed upset. I’m hoping he comes out of this funk asap. Tough to watch.

4 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

Not a good situation by any means. Cody has been in his own head this season, evident when he has a miscue he just seems upset every time. I remember at the LDC he missed an open receiver on his second throw of the game and he was smacking his helmet and seemed upset. I’m hoping he comes out of this funk asap. Tough to watch.

I think you guys might have a QB controversy before the end of the season. The back up didnt look bad vs us, and lynch on the PR can probably do similar to CFs passing game too. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I think you guys might have a QB controversy before the end of the season. The back up didnt look bad vs us, and lynch on the PR can probably do similar to CFs passing game too. 

If the staff there was smart....which have my doubts about they would roster Lynch and get him some reps....Harker isn't the answer and doesn't even come in for short yardage as he is built like a 13 year old girl...no offence to any 13 year old girls who may persue the site, but the kid wouldn't last a game of punishment, not to mention what a team like Winnipeg would put on him.

Just now, Booch said:

If the staff there was smart....which have my doubts about they would roster Lynch and get him some reps....Harker isn't the answer and doesn't even come in for short yardage as he is built like a 13 year old girl...no offence to any 13 year old girls who may persue the site, but the kid wouldn't last a game of punishment, not to mention what a team like Winnipeg would put on him.

Idk if its back bone or smarts. Or even some thing else. But what ever it is, I think they, really dickenson, lack it enough to not do what they should. 

100% they should get lynch in some. I think if they did, he would be starting for them pretty quickly. I dont think harker is great, but in comparison passer to passer, I think hes much less limited than CF is. Harker is tiny, but people said the same thing of charles roberts. Im sure he isnt blink, but isnt cantthrowdo either. 

Of course they wont pull CF. So itd have to be lynch in for harker. But I think no matter what they do, they have to start getting throwing reps in with some one else. 

Cody would be pretty good as a back up and change of pace guy who can run streveler stuff. 

As crazy as it sounds, Id take ottawas trio of rookie qbs duck, christion, and evans over the riders 3 qbs. I think we are going to quickly enter the point of critical value loss for CF. Where he will be a good back up, but would have to take a real cut in cash. He's gonna be 30 before the next season starts. And despite the added time off not only has he failed to improve from 19, he's gotten worse. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Idk if its back bone or smarts. Or even some thing else. But what ever it is, I think they, really dickenson, lack it enough to not do what they should. 

100% they should get lynch in some. I think if they did, he would be starting for them pretty quickly. I dont think harker is great, but in comparison passer to passer, I think hes much less limited than CF is. Harker is tiny, but people said the same thing of charles roberts. Im sure he isnt blink, but isnt cantthrowdo either. 

Of course they wont pull CF. So itd have to be lynch in for harker. But I think no matter what they do, they have to start getting throwing reps in with some one else. 

Cody would be pretty good as a back up and change of pace guy who can run streveler stuff. 

As crazy as it sounds, Id take ottawas trio of rookie qbs duck, christion, and evans over the riders 3 qbs. I think we are going to quickly enter the point of critical value loss for CF. Where he will be a good back up, but would have to take a real cut in cash. He's gonna be 30 before the next season starts. And despite the added time off not only has he failed to improve from 19, he's gotten worse. 

which is all he was prior to having the starting role fall in is lap due to Zack getting hurt, and why he was brought in....change of pace and short yardage guy...Strev Light, as he is nowhere the force The Strev is....I think that Lynch could at the least give them a chance to actually have a consistent vertical passing game

Just now, Booch said:

which is all he was prior to having the starting role fall in is lap due to Zack getting hurt, and why he was brought in....change of pace and short yardage guy...Strev Light, as he is nowhere the force The Strev is....I think that Lynch could at the least give them a chance to actually have a consistent vertical passing game

Yeah. He certainly doesnt have the supreme physicality of strevy. But the playbook with streveler here in 19 was pretty dreadful too. They could keep 2 or 3 of his passing plays with that timing route. I dont think we had 1 good passing play that strevy was comfortable or happy with. But he wasnt physically limited throwing either. 

Lynch couldnt be any worse passing down field than CF. He just couldnt be. Its like lefevour when he was in a bad streak, but every single pass. 

39 minutes ago, Booch said:

As a Broncos fan, I am not overly fond of Paxton Lynch, but maybe he’d be better suited to the CFL style of play.

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If there was a most outstanding receiver totally, but to me it's still collaros hands down.

They should have that and call it the stegall award. 

I think collaros is the dominant favorite. I think defensive players get a but of a snub, but we dont have a most outstanding offensive player so I get it. Having an offensive player of the year and an MVP would be better. 

Just now, Mike said:

Collaros is easily the MOP favorite.

He’s pacing out to a 4850 yard, 27 TD, 9 INT season and completing passes at a 72% clip.

Those are MOP numbers.

That last game certainly moved him to the front of the pack with his offensive explosion, Lucky’s injury and Reilly’s ineffectiveness.