Covid-19

JCon

12 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Total **** show. Want this over and was really disappointed they didn't send K-6 back. They are getting very little actual learning out of this compared to the stress it is putting on everyone, least of all us the parents who are also trying to work during the day. My kids are 10 and 8 by the way.

Also, helpful hint to all you Facebook or Instagram heroes on my feed that post perfectly staged smiling happy photos of everyone after just another swell day of remote learning. **** you.

Joking of course.

(sort of)

For real though, SeeSaw notifications actually cause me physical harm at this point.

Harder than the remote learning is all the other screen time. Thankfully not all of it is youtube videos of the current nonsense fad and some of it is interaction with classmates but OMG I am tired of 8yr old speak in the background while I am trying to work.

(Facebook tip, take a picture of the fam at the beginning of the day and then share it at the end as another day in the books photo...)

Interesting to hear accounts of what it is like for parents as I have been solely doing remote teaching (elementary) since January. I know it is hard for some families, especially larger families or ones with limited devices, so I try to accommodate when possible. I get a filtered view of what families decide to tell the teacher, so its mostly positive. One thing I have been really impressed with is how students have actually developed relationships with each other since we started in February. These are families that chose remote learning due to health concerns and other reasons. Many of these students haven't been able to see their friends and have come to rely on our meetings for building relationships. My students come from all across Manitoba and many are already planning on meeting up this summer if/when restrictions allow. In some cases this will mean more than 6 hours of travel.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

Interesting to hear accounts of what it is like for parents as I have been solely doing remote teaching (elementary) since January. I know it is hard for some families, especially larger families or ones with limited devices, so I try to accommodate when possible. I get a filtered view of what families decide to tell the teacher, so its mostly positive. One thing I have been really impressed with is how students have actually developed relationships with each other since we started in February. These are families that chose remote learning due to health concerns and other reasons. Many of these students haven't been able to see their friends and have come to rely on our meetings for building relationships. My students come from all across Manitoba and many are already planning on meeting up this summer if/when restrictions allow. In some cases this will mean more than 6 hours of travel.

Unlike last spring, this year the teachers are ready. They have lots of material and they're doing lots to engage the kids. 

But, they're no competition for Unspeakable or whatever other Youtuber has their attention. And, they miss their friends. 

On 2021-05-31 at 3:29 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Also surprised. Granted AZ wont be given to anyone as a first shot anymore and the UK study seemed to indicate you're likely to feel off.

Now where is the study about what happens if youre given 2 shots of Pfi, 2 shots of Moderna,. 2 shots of AZ and 1 shot of J&J :D

George Thorogood says, "By that time you'll be plenty high...

You know when you're mouth a gettin' dry, you're plenty high"

George Thorogood: Dirty Talk | Guitar World

I read today that your Premier was saying Thank God this pandemic didn't happen in 2017 as Pallister said he had time to fix the ICU's & health care system in Manitoba. Fixed so well that patients are being transferred out of province to Ontario & Alberta. Calgary & Edmonton are taking 5 patients each to start. What a fricking liar this dude has become. More like Pallister passing his failings onto other provinces. I hope you guys remember all this the next provincial election.

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I read today that your Premier was saying Thank God this pandemic didn't happen in 2017 as Pallister said he had time to fix the ICU's & health care system in Manitoba. Fixed so well that patients are being transferred out of province to Ontario & Alberta. Calgary & Edmonton are taking 5 patients each to start. What a fricking liar this dude has become. More like Pallister passing his failings onto other provinces. I hope you guys remember all this the next provincial election.

Yeah, he's being largely panned for everything that comes out of his mouth. 

The fact is that our health care system was so damaged from their recent cuts, that a pandemic of this nature would expose them for the frauds they are. If the Conservatives ever regain power in this province over the next twenty years, we should be ashamed. 

And in my province you need to follow the rules unless you're Jason Kenney & his cabinet. He made the rules but does not follow them... Yet he feels he did nothing wrong. More backlash just like last Xmas. All he had to say that he was sorry but nope... he did nothing wrong. Stupid ****. Didn't learn his lesson from 6 months ago.

I haven't seen my youngest son & his wife since Xmas 2019 & my other son & his wife since last fall. We have followed the rules as have millions of Albertans so this hits deep as does having the dinner at the Sky Palace in edmonton. Alison redforsd had to resign over the cost of construction of this building as it is opulent. The PC's finished building it but when the NDP were in power apparently Rachel Notley never set foot in the place.

The rule here is outdoor gatherings can occur but there can't be more than 10 people with no more than four from one household. So six or 7 different people aren't allowed for their working meeting... (burp!) (hic!!) contravened the rules. Man, people would have forgiven Ralph Klein or said big deal but not Kenney. He is reviled by everyone. His critics which are just about everyone just live for this stuff.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-premier-says-sky-palace-dinner-was-fully-rule-compliant-as-backlash-continues-1.5455455

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, Wideleft said:

It has been a real struggle for both of my kids and one is graduating this year.   Should have been the best year of his life.

Mine are both in University and have done better grades-wise than I could have imagined. But hard to say what the social distancing has done to them. My daughter has been in a long distance mostly online relationship for the past year, so she has coped. I feel like I can never get back what my son lost in the last 15 months. He graduated high school last year, was 3 days away from his senior school play. After 4 years of bit parts, finally had the lead role in his last play, only to have it cancelled when classes shut down that very week. He also lost out on his senior trip overseas which was a week later. And we had to cancel our family trip in the summer to Europe as a grad gift. Basically everything he was looking forward to was taken away, and they postponed grad 3 times up to October before they finally nixed it. Now a full year of online classes and he has said to me “do you think I will ever get a girlfriend?” since he has had to isolate for the better part of a year now instead of attending campus in his first year of university. Can’t imagine what this has done to the mental health of adolescents who crave this social interaction as part of their development. 

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Double dosed!  If anyone needs me, I'll be at IGF waiting for the season to start.

Lucky to get an appointment moved up to today thanks to cancellations and being available at the right time,  so I now have my second vaccination too! Kids have their first, and my wife in health care has her double dose. Good day for me!

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

9 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I know this from working in the livestock industry.  When a new vaccine comes out, it is quite common that two doses will be required, until they fine tune it. 

Ever wonder how many pet/ livestock  owning  antivaxers vaccinate their animals ?  If any are in the hog industry and tied to the big companies they would be required to vaccinate their animals. YES ! Forced to do it . lol.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And in my province you need to follow the rules unless you're Jason Kenney & his cabinet. He made the rules but does not follow them... Yet he feels he did nothing wrong. More backlash just like last Xmas. All he had to say that he was sorry but nope... he did nothing wrong. Stupid ****. Didn't learn his lesson from 6 months ago.

I haven't seen my youngest son & his wife since Xmas 2019 & my other son & his wife since last fall. We have followed the rules as have millions of Albertans so this hits deep as does having the dinner at the Sky Palace in edmonton. Alison redforsd had to resign over the cost of construction of this building as it is opulent. The PC's finished building it but when the NDP were in power apparently Rachel Notley never set foot in the place.

The rule here is outdoor gatherings can occur but there can't be more than 10 people with no more than four from one household. So six or 7 different people aren't allowed for their working meeting... (burp!) (hic!!) contravened the rules. Man, people would have forgiven Ralph Klein or said big deal but not Kenney. He is reviled by everyone. His critics which are just about everyone just live for this stuff.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-premier-says-sky-palace-dinner-was-fully-rule-compliant-as-backlash-continues-1.5455455

I have a year old grandchild that my wife and I  have never held. Sucks bug time. The Incas had rules where if a common person stole they were punished but if a elite class ( read leader ) stole they were executed. They were expected to be above that as a leader. Made sense didn't it.

8 hours ago, JCon said:

Unlike last spring, this year the teachers are ready. They have lots of material and they're doing lots to engage the kids. 

But, they're no competition for Unspeakable or whatever other Youtuber has their attention. And, they miss their friends. 

Mine and his friends have started using Teams after school to visit and play Roblox on line together. It is sometimes painful to listen too but they are finding a way to socialize while distant. We think it is an excellent solution for 7 and 8 year olds that should not have online chat active on some of those games.

7 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Mine and his friends have started using Teams after school to visit and play Roblox on line together. It is sometimes painful to listen too but they are finding a way to socialize while distant. We think it is an excellent solution for 7 and 8 year olds that should not have online chat active on some of those games.

My son does movie night with friends and cousins over discord. they all share the same voice chat and cue the movie together- it's really nice, they get to share their "Om god what the hells", "Holy what just happeneds" and other various exclamations during the movie- it seems to work.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

21 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Ever wonder how many pet/ livestock  owning  antivaxers vaccinate their animals ?  If any are in the hog industry and tied to the big companies they would be required to vaccinate their animals. YES ! Forced to do it . lol.

There is no way you can make a living with hogs- without a vaccination program. 

31 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Does anyone have a problem with vaccine passports?  I don't see how they can't hurt an accelerated return to "normal" if they are implemented and enforced where appropriate.

And yes, they should have space for booster shot stamps as well.

Is it really any different than having proof of vaccination to travel to specific countries? I don't think so.

Vaccines are meant to protect people (oneself and others) and keep everyone safe and healthy. My view is if you want to enjoy the "freedoms and rights" of living in a civilized society, you do what's right and good for those in said society, which means every single individual. 

This pandemic has shown me there are two types of people: those who believe in doing what's best for everyone even if it means personal sacrifice, and those who see being personally inconvenienced in any way as unacceptable/intolerable without any further consideration. The latter are, IMO, what's wrong with the human race.

The Shopping Cart Theory really sums it up well, IMO: https://scoop.upworthy.com/viral-shopping-cart-theory-determines-moral-character

Edited by blue_gold_84
link added

50 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Does anyone have a problem with vaccine passports?  I don't see how they can't hurt an accelerated return to "normal" if they are implemented and enforced where appropriate.

And yes, they should have space for booster shot stamps as well.

I want mine on a lanyard that I'll wear everywhere....I'm gonna flash that thing like it's backstage passes to a Stones concert. I don't want anyone getting into the same indoor facility as me without one... "NO CRAZY PEOPLE ALLOWED"......