Covid-19

JCon

20 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/number-of-manitobans-contracting-covid-19-after-vaccination-in-line-with-what-is-expected-1.5422622

Since Frosty keeps asking, 410 cases and 7 deaths for people who had been vaccinated in Manitoba. That's out of 48,000 people. So the chance would be .8% of catching Covid and .01% chance of dying. I'm going to assume no to the deaths announced today.

Should also be added that they are likely 1st dose vaccinated (so not fully vaxed)....also is there any data on how long after they got the shot that they caught covid? I believe there is a 2 week window after your shot that you're basically at the same level of protection as someone who didn't get it.

20 hours ago, 17to85 said:

not to mention that these people forget, or are ignorant to the fact that there are mechanisms in our constitution that allow the government to suspend personal freedoms

I've come to understand a lot of those types truly believe we have a 1st amendment lol.

39 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You guys are a couple of weeks behind us in AB......and I can give you a bit of a peek into the future: As much exponential growth as you're seeing now, you're going to see nearly equal exponential "decay", as they call it. The numbers are going to fall off a cliff once enough people are vaccinated (combined with people adhering to public health measures and the natural decline of cold/flu season come summer time). We went from more than 2000/day cases to just over 1000 in about a week. Active cases is falling every day by several hundred. Our hospitalizations are falling (tho the ICU is still up there and needs to come down...) 

Do what you can to limit your interactions with others....get vaccinated.......the good will come. Stay safe, my friends!

It sounds like you're applying solid reasoning and logic to the current pandemic reports.   You are not following the standard media spread of fear mongering.  I'm going to have to ask you to stop with this rational thought process :)

I wish more and more people would listen to experts on this topic rather than believe what they want and entertain ridiculous conspiracy theories.   Get the vax, so we can return to normal and live our lives again!

13 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

It sounds like you're applying solid reasoning and logic to the current pandemic reports.   You are not following the standard media spread of fear mongering.  I'm going to have to ask you to stop with this rational thought process :)

I wish more and more people would listen to experts on this topic rather than believe what they want and entertain ridiculous conspiracy theories.   Get the vax, so we can return to normal and live our lives again!

I'm a media member who very much believes in "just the facts"..... sometimes that seems like fear mongering, but it's really just the reality. I'm still feeling hopeful for a Canada Day get together with my friends....... *insert fingers crossed emoji*

The virus will continue it's roller coaster ride this week, getting vaccinated is the only way we will put a dent in the cases at this point and that's going to take more time. I don't think it's going to get as bad as some of the experts think it will as closing dine in, gyms, schools and more have to help but we will have to see

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

You guys are a couple of weeks behind us in AB......and I can give you a bit of a peek into the future: As much exponential growth as you're seeing now, you're going to see nearly equal exponential "decay", as they call it. The numbers are going to fall off a cliff once enough people are vaccinated (combined with people adhering to public health measures and the natural decline of cold/flu season come summer time). We went from more than 2000/day cases to just over 1000 in about a week. Active cases is falling every day by several hundred. Our hospitalizations are falling (tho the ICU is still up there and needs to come down...) 

Do what you can to limit your interactions with others....get vaccinated.......the good will come. Stay safe, my friends!

ICU is a lagging indicator so it makes sense it takes longest to fall. Those numbers are the people who got sick and then got bad enough to need the ICU. They will either recover or die and less people will be there to take their place in the ICU but it's behind the case numbers and even hospitalizations. 

So apparently on the weekend the RCMP (I'm assuming since it's Headingley) were parked outside of the Shelmerdine's Garden centre entrance checking ID's of people in cars together going in, ensuring they were all from the same household, and fining those who were not.

Can't say that's a bad idea right now with COVID, 

Edited by itchy

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Sunday afternoon, there were dozens of people lined up at Sargent Sundae on Portage Avenue. Social distancing was theoretical at best and masks were mostly optional.

I drove by Sunday evening and saw the same thing. Could've been easy pickings for fines based on the lack of masks and no real space between customers in line.

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

Stupidest idea ever. Now, what happens when they need booster shots or the flu shot? 

How is that the stupidest idea ever? It's working. Instead of spending the covid money for advertising, special out reach programs, pop up clinics and so on- give the unwilling an incentive and come to you. This also, helps alleviate the fear of getting the shot, so these people might be more open to future covid shots.

Booster shot or flu shot? two different things- regardless, a bridge to cross another day. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

35 minutes ago, JCon said:

Stupidest idea ever. Now, what happens when they need booster shots or the flu shot? 

Based on the dumb crap I am hearing from many people that I respect as fairly intelligent people, I think any and all stops is what it's going to take to get vaccine uptake anywhere near herd immunity in many places. Do what you gotta do...if that means incentivizing the process so be it. I don't want us hovering at 65% for a month....do something and get those needles in the arms of those too stupid to do it without incentive.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-200-million-mrna-1.6031024

The federal government today announced a $200-million investment to help a Mississauga, Ont.-based company build a plant that can churn out millions of mRNA vaccines.

Innovation Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne said the money will be used to expand an existing site owned by Resilience Biotechnologies Inc. to provide "made-in-Canada solutions such as vaccines and treatments for future pandemics."

The funds will expand Resilience's manufacturing and fill-finish capacity for a number of vaccines and therapeutics, including mRNA shots like the ones now being used to fight COVID-19, Champagne said.

The government says the plant expansion will create 500 permanent jobs and 50 co-op placements for students once construction is complete in 2024.

Better late than never. But Canada by and large was still caught with its collective pants down, further proof how governments consistently operate reactive than proactively.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-200-million-mrna-1.6031024

Better late than never. But Canada by and large was still caught with its collective pants down, further proof how governments consistently operate reactive than proactively.

They can't win.  If a government wants to act pro-actively (ie climate change, foreign aid etc.) they are told there are more immediate priorities to address.  If they try to stick with long range plans, they're booted out for their hairy fairy ideas.

3 hours ago, GCJenks said:

These numbers initially are very encouraging until you look at the others that go with. Only 2893 tests completed so TPR does move, we need numbers like this or better with 4000 tests completed and then I will start to get excited. 

However if less people are getting sick because they're vaccinated doesn't it stand to reason that we will see less tests and a higher positivity rate? 

From everything I've seen, the trials have just started and they are hoping to have it approved for children 6 months to 11 years by September in the US (Pfizer and Moderna).  I expect that we would follow in that approval shortly after (but maybe at the same time).

2 minutes ago, Sard said:

From everything I've seen, the trials have just started and they are hoping to have it approved for children 6 months to 11 years by September in the US (Pfizer and Moderna).  I expect that we would follow in that approval shortly after (but maybe at the same time).

Everything I read is consistent with what you said but it's very far ahead of schedule, if my source is correct.