Covid-19

JCon

20 minutes ago, Sard said:

From everything I've seen, the trials have just started and they are hoping to have it approved for children 6 months to 11 years by September in the US (Pfizer and Moderna).  I expect that we would follow in that approval shortly after (but maybe at the same time).

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

Everything I read is consistent with what you said but it's very far ahead of schedule, if my source is correct. 

From everything we've seen - everything has been ahead of schedule. It

It's been amazing really. 

Also, an actual treatment for SARSCoV2 infection coming soon.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

However if less people are getting sick because they're vaccinated doesn't it stand to reason that we will see less tests and a higher positivity rate? 

Fewer people getting sick would lower the TPR no matter how many people are tested. The function of TPR as a metric to is even out the fluctuation in overall tests completed. I have often stated that our TPR is likely overstated as we have strict testing guidelines and only test symptomatic people but comparing our numbers to our numbers is still valid.

I would have to go back to confirm but I am pretty sure most weeks we see lower test rates on Monday and lower case numbers on Tuesday. 

Ya I'm not doing a happy dance in AB yet, because our TP is still 11%, and we're only seeing 7500ish tests per day. Overall numbers coming down but that TP is gross. Hospitals and ICU beds still overloaded and climbing. Apparently Kenney is announcing our relaunch plan next week, which will of course be WAY too much WAY too soon.... Oi. 

20 hours ago, iHeart said:

So the big story here is that the guy who died was 10 days into his 2nd shot 🤢

Now for some good news...we should pass the USA this week in the vac. rate category.

Canada has been vaccinating an average of 0.90 per cent of the population each day over the past seven days. This totals to 46.24 per cent of the population vaccinated with at least one dose as of Tuesday afternoon. The U.S. currently has 47.19 per cent of the population vaccinated with one dose and has been inoculating an average of 0.22 per cent of their population each day this past week.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

More and more, I think people are realizing that our aggressive "1st dose to as many as possible" strategy is a winning one....

That's because it was based on sound evidence. Vaccine manufacturers stuck to their recommendations purely for liability reasons. They didn't have test data themselves so would not commit to anything they didn't study. But people with a shallow understanding of things took that to mean those companies knew best and the government was making an uninformed decision.

42 minutes ago, iHeart said:

yeah but WHAT medications are they talking about?

Medications are listed on the eligibility criteria website:

https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/vaccine/eligibility-criteria.html#sites

Second Dose Eligibility

Booking for second doses will begin May 22. Initially, only people who have the following priority conditions will be able to book a second dose appointment by phone or online:

• receiving hemodialysis OR peritoneal dialysis
  • liver cirrhosis due to any cause OR portal hypertension
  • severe heart failure 
  • cancers including solid tumor and blood (leukemia/lymphoma) who will or are receiving chemotherapy, immunosuppressive therapy orimmune checkpoint inhibitors (e.g., nivolumab, pembrolizumab)
  • receiving one or more of the following medications: B cell therapies (e.g., rituximab, ocrelizumab), cyclophosphamide, alemtuzumab, calcineurin inhibitors (cyclosporine, tacrolimus), chronic dose prednisone >=20mg/day, mycophenolate, and JAK inhibitors (e.g., tofacitinib)
  • have received or are on the list to receive a solid organ transplant
  • have received a stem cell transplant OR CAR-T therapy at least 3 months ago.
  • Down syndrome
  • Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
  • individuals receiving home care ≥ 4 times/week OR receiving 24/7 Community Living Disability Services supports (or as per family physician determination of equivalent levels of family support).

28 minutes ago, Sard said:

Second Dose Eligibility

Booking for second doses will begin May 22. Initially, only people who have the following priority conditions will be able to book a second dose appointment by phone or online:

• severe heart failure 
  • cancers including solid tumor and blood (leukemia/lymphoma) who will or are receiving chemotherapy, immunosuppressive therapy orimmune checkpoint inhibitors (e.g., nivolumab, pembrolizumab)
  • receiving one or more of the following medications: B cell therapies (e.g., rituximab, ocrelizumab), cyclophosphamide, alemtuzumab, calcineurin inhibitors (cyclosporine, tacrolimus), chronic dose prednisone >=20mg/day, mycophenolate, and JAK inhibitors (e.g., tofacitinib)
  • Down syndrome
  • individuals receiving home care ≥ 4 times/week OR receiving 24/7 Community Living Disability Services supports (or as per family physician determination of equivalent levels of family support).

well none of those look like any of the arthritis medications I take so I guess I'll have to wait....I think they said I would have to wait 12 weeks inbetween shots anyway so if I'm lucky I could get my second dose in August even though there's a goal to get everyone having their second dose by July

Edited by iHeart

22 minutes ago, iHeart said:

oh dear it looks like the data will be available while I'm working

Since it's delayed, I'll just make up my own numbers... 

450 new cases. No deaths. TPR 12.8% Prov, 14.3% Winnipeg. Comfortable plateau. Stay off the play structures. Wear a mask. Get vaxxed. You can see your friends outside but not on your property. It's up to you to prevent Covid spread!

1 hour ago, Sard said:

Second Dose Eligibility

• severe heart failure 
  • Down syndrome

Didn't see ED anywhere there, dammit!

I would really like to know how many of these icu patients have had 1 dose or two and when they got the vaccine, I would also like to know how many have not been vaccinated and attended rallies or gatherings flaunting restrictions and now bringing our heath care systems to it's knees

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

I would really like to know how many of these icu patients have had 1 dose or two and when they got the vaccine, I would also like to know how many have not been vaccinated and attended rallies or gatherings flaunting restrictions and now bringing our heath care systems to it's knees

I'm really curious about the rally question as well.  I wish they would publish that in bold letters to really make the point hit home.

11 minutes ago, Sard said:

I'm really curious about the rally question as well.  I wish they would publish that in bold letters to really make the point hit home.

Confidentiality for patients would probably put the kibosh on that unfortunately, but these people really bug me with the give me rights and liberties and when they get sick because of their own stupidity, save me

26 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Confidentiality for patients would probably put the kibosh on that unfortunately, but these people really bug me with the give me rights and liberties and when they get sick because of their own stupidity, save me

Thinking about this comment some more, does saying that x number of the current active cases were involved with the rallies really violate anyone's confidentiality?  You're not identifying who they are or which rally they were at.

15 minutes ago, Sard said:

Thinking about this comment some more, does saying that x number of the current active cases were involved with the rallies really violate anyone's confidentiality?  You're not identifying who they are or which rally they were at.

Having taken PHIA training, I would suggest that it does not.

Like the incompetent and heartless assholes they are, Alberta decided today that they're going to send kids back into classrooms on Tuesday after the long weekend. By far the single biggest thing bringing AB numbers down had been kids out of school. So we're gonna send em back and now entire families will get sick and continue to pressure the health system, as our Hospitalization and ICU numbers remain at record highs...