Covid-19

JCon

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

10 of the 80 patients in the ICU with Covid are under 40. 

That's crazy. 

It was inevitable. As the really vulnerable seniors either die or get vaccinated, their fatality numbers fall, so the younger people rise in numbers.

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

It was inevitable. As the really vulnerable seniors either die or get vaccinated, their fatality numbers fall, so the younger people rise in numbers.

Right, but we didn't have that high of a figure before. It's the variants that's causing this. Young people, those under forty, are getting sicker than they did before. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Our coward of a premier can't even be bothered to be around when the Prov announces new restrictions this afternoon and announces a record number of Covid cases. 

What a terrible govt we have. 

really hoping all these awful Con govt's in charge provincially get tossed at the next election. Never forget how badly they handled things...

No kidding. 

Also talk about passing the buck... throwing people under the bus, pulling out every lame excuse...

"The premier says there are things Manitoba can not control with a population of 1.36 million people.". If your not up to the job... then maybe you should step down. Such a failure of imagination... if you can't come up solutions, then maybe its time to go.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Well he did answer 1 question I was wondering about and if he can be believed it sounds like the majority that are in our icu's have not been vaccinated, it's to bad though that something as simple as getting vaccinated can help you not clog up the icu in this province, shame that some are to stupid or to cool to be vaccinated but want to tempt faith in large gatherings with people that they don't know.

Edited by bustamente

"We'll trust the advice of our healthcare leadership"

"We place our faith in expert epidemiologists"

"We appreciate our healthcare workers and all they do every step of the way"

Except when they write and sign letters warning of the exact situation we find ourselves in now... ICU's overflowing into neighboring provinces with no actual end in sight.

"I never promised Manitoban's that we wouldn't go down this path. Manitoban's have always been in control of their future. I've said so all along"

If only there was some sort of powerful or influential entity that could govern, legislate, and enforce public health orders... like some sort of governing group... maybe we could call it a 'government'

great we are at a point where they are offering "boo-boo presents" for a vaccine....forget it knowing what this damn thing can do to you is incentive enough...besides I already said I would pay for dinners for my parents (I don't consider those to be incentives, I consider it a cause for celebration because someone in the house is protected from the worst of the virus)

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

Except when they write and sign letters warning of the exact situation we find ourselves in now... ICU's overflowing into neighboring provinces with no actual end in sight.

"I never promised Manitoban's that we wouldn't go down this path. Manitoban's have always been in control of their future. I've said so all along"

If only there was some sort of powerful or influential entity that could govern, legislate, and enforce public health orders... like some sort of governing group... maybe we could call it a 'government'

Totally agree with everything above... how ******* stupid does he think everyone is? 

4 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Not disagreeing with you but what would you have had the government do differently? Just a question. Please be specific. What should the government have done? What would the challenges be to doing so, how could they have mitigated that?

Not picking on you in particular, I challenge all to answer those questions. I'm seeing a lot of people saying things should have been done different but I see crickets as to what that should have been.

4 minutes ago, bustamente said:

14 months plus into this pandemic and somehow we are is a worst situation than the first two waves and that's with vaccines available , Government is broken, Heath care is broken, Families are broken

Yes, it's bad, the whole world is in a similar boat. People need to wake up and get vaccinated. Trudeau really screwed up the vaccine roll out in Canada and the third wave is squarely on his shoulders imo.

Just now, GCn20 said:

Yes, it's bad, the whole world is in a similar boat. People need to wake up and get vaccinated. Trudeau really screwed up the vaccine roll out in Canada and the third wave is squarely on his shoulders imo.

Show your work......

The only argument that I'll listen to is that we should have found a way to manufacture vaccines at home so that we could have had them earlier. Otherwise, the Federal vaccine rollout has been a raging success, with our aggressive 1-dose to as many as possible strategy being raved about by virtually every other advanced nation. 

Just now, Noeller said:

Show your work......

The only argument that I'll listen to is that we should have found a way to manufacture vaccines at home so that we could have had them earlier. Otherwise, the Federal vaccine rollout has been a raging success, with our aggressive 1-dose to as many as possible strategy being raved about by virtually every other advanced nation. 

We struggled with vaccine supply right up until 3 weeks ago. Pop ups were cancelled, super sites ran out right in the heart of the beginning of the 3rd wave. There was a period of time that Biden was saving the vaccine program from completely crashing by giving us vaccine. The one dose was a very smart move and thankfully we did so. However, botching our vaccine supply initially set us back badly.....and yes a big part of that was the Conservative and Liberal governments of Canada not learning a damn thing from SARS and H1N1 so as to stabilize our pandemic vaccine readiness.

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Not disagreeing with you but what would you have had the government do differently? Just a question. Please be specific. What should the government have done? What would the challenges be to doing so, how could they have mitigated that?

Not picking on you in particular, I challenge all to answer those questions. I'm seeing a lot of people saying things should have been done different but I see crickets as to what that should have been.

First off, heed the warnings from the experts. If they have penned a group letter that action needs to be take - ******* do it. 

Have more stringent orders, don't send mix messages, like it's ok to shop for a green tea macha bamboo wisk, as long as the shops are at 33% capacity, but don't meet your family at the park if there is more than 10 of you. You can not have your parents over on the deck in your back yard, but yeah go to a patio and buy buy buy buy while sitting there with several people from several different households! 

You have a shortage of nurses.... you have many retired nurses that would probably work as independent contractors if you open up the purse strings and made an exemption in their pension and social security so they don't take a financial hit.

Regardless- all this doesn't mean ****, I'm not the one in office nor am I running. The Cons are in power- they are the ones governing, they should be coming up with the answers not us.

Just now, GCn20 said:

Pallister actually asked this same question to reporters at the start of the pandemic. I/we are not elected officials with experts and behind-the-scenes information at our fingertips. It's not my/our job to come up with a better plan, it's up to Pallister and his party.

If I could do one thing today I would do what 'Health Minister' (a term that should be used loosely at this point) Heather Stefanson claims we can already do: expand Manioba's ICU capacity to 170. Unfortunately, wishing into one hand and shitting into the other usually just results in ****. I don't expect to see this happen any time soon.

If I could do one thing yesterday, it would be to not close 3 emergency rooms and cut ICU beds year over year. Winnipeg had 73 ICU beds in January 2017. By January 2020, following the closures of the Victoria and Concordia ICU's we were down to 62 and, following the closure of Seven Oaks ICU, we were left with 55. Bet they'd be coming in handy right about now.

But MOBF, that was a month before Europe had freezer trucks full of corpses, how could they have known???

Well.... doctors warned them against closing ICU's all the way back in July 2019, before COVID was even a twinkle in a bats eye.... and they ignored the advice of doctors. Here we are as a result.

https://wfpquantum.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/2020/95566_Health system files july 2019.pdf

ISSUE 1: The proposed ICU bed base will be inadequate to serve the critical care needs of Manitoba patients.This will result in significant negative consequences to both patients and our health care system.

RECOMMENDATION: Critical Care bed numbers must be increased ICU bed use is difficult to predict and plan, since admissions are never elective. In this situation, average occupancy data is almost always inadequate for resource planning.1Using historical daily census data, we found that in order to meet the needs of critically ill patients 95% of the time (i.e.go over-census 1-2 times per month) we would require 67-68 beds. At the end of Phase 3 of consolidation we will have 63 beds (MICU19, SICU 14, ICMS 14, Grace 10, IICU 6). The proposed ICU bed base will be inadequate to serve the critical care needs of Manitoba patients, and will result in significant negative consequences to both patients and our health care system.

They were warned and they ignored the advice of the experts they claim to hold so dear. This was always about cutting costs. Our lives are just not that valuable to our so-called leaders.

35 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Well he did answer 1 question I was wondering about and if he can be believed it sounds like the majority that are in our icu's have not been vaccinated, it's to bad though that something as simple as getting vaccinated can help you not clog up the icu in this province, shame that some are to stupid or to cool to be vaccinated but what to tempt faith in large gatherings with people that they don't know.

These pastors should all be thrown in jail. Worthless POS.

15 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Damnit, I'm not a Trudeau fan- w hy do you have to make me defend him?

The Liberal government did the best they could- they multisourced vaccines from many different manufacturers. They raided COVAX (a little shameful, but needed). They are looking at building manufacturing capacity (maybe should have done this last year, but given how the disruption in supply happened this year... give them a pass on the timeline) now. 

The one thing I will criticize the Feds for is their lack a stringent time lines for delivery, they gave the manufacturers too much wiggle room. Mark specific weeks or even days, not "by the end of the 1st quarter... 

Also, I find it kind of funny that you go all "well why don't you have any better ideas- I challenge you!" for the provincial Cons, yet go all " Trudeau really screwed up the vaccine roll out in Canada and the third wave is squarely on his shoulders imo- but I am not offering any ideas" on the Liberal government. Just made me chuckle a bit.