The Trade Thread

On 2023-06-27 at 6:44 PM, Jesse said:

Many catches.

PLD is the best player in the trade. He's now under contract for 8 years, whereas all the other pieces need contracts and could easily want out and we're right back where we've started. We've moved down from the 2nd overall pick, to the 3rd, to the 11th.

When we got PLD, he was going to be the centerpiece that we could build a team around. We don't have that guy now.

Hockey has changed. Being the best player in a trade doesn't mean as much now. Some teams could do well trading their best players and using that cap space to fix numerous holes they have. Teams need 3 good lines to compete and at least 4 good defenceman. Take Toronto for instance, they could trade Matthews, Marner, or Tavares for multi-players that would probably increase their chances of winning both short term and long term. The best valuation of a trade isn't who got the best player, the best valuation of a trade is who got best value vs their cap and filled the most holes imo. We sent PLD, but got 4 young guys in return that will provide options up and down our lineup. No one player is as good as PLD....but this is a trade that collectively makes the Jets better imo. Given the situation that Chevy was in that is a pretty darn good job.

Edited by GCn20

22 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

When was Dubois ever going to be a "centerpiece" around which to build any team, much less this one? LOL

There's no question he's a giant cuck, but that was the promise when we drafted him and the hope that LA still has for him.

@GCn20 is right though, we did come away with a lot more depth than we previously had which was a huge issue for us. We still need more pieces to make a patchwork top-6, but if we can finally get some buy-in from players and roll all 4 lines, we could become a more balanced team that scores throughout the line-up. 

Are you misunderstanding my use of the word promise? Does potential work better?

We traded Laine and Roslovic for him. We've been trying to get him signed to a long-term contract this entire time. He was obviously meant to be a franchise player.

37 minutes ago, JCon said:

I thought the promise was that we had finally solved our centre problem. Top two centres for the two top lines. 

Indeed, that was the plan when he was acquired in January 2021. Turns out Dubois is just a diva and had no intentions of staying here despite whatever statements he made two years ago, though.

35 minutes ago, Jesse said:

We've been trying to get him signed to a long-term contract this entire time. He was obviously meant to be a franchise player.

Yeah, and didn't work out as I'm sure many would've hoped.

So, management did what it could in light of the lame circumstances and got three forwards* back in the trade. Seems like a pretty solid return for a pissbaby who clearly had no interest in staying here long-term.

* Iafallo is under contract for two more seasons (UFA), Vilardi and Kupari are pending RFAs

Edited by blue_gold_84
correction made

10 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Indeed, that was the plan when he was acquired in January 2021. Turns out Dubois is just a diva and had no intentions of staying here despite whatever statements he made two years ago, though.

Yeah, and didn't work out as I'm sure many would've hoped.

So, management did what it could in light of the lame circumstances and got three forwards* back in the trade. Seems like a pretty solid return for a pissbaby who clearly had no interest in staying here long-term.

* Iafallo is under contract for two more seasons (UFA), Vilardi and Kupari will be RFAs after next season

Diva? The guy said he wanted to win. That's not happening here in his lifetime. 

Vilardi and Kupari are RFAs now. I forget which has arbitration rights now. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

Diva? The guy said he wanted to win. That's not happening here in his lifetime. 

Vilardi and Kupari are RFAs now. I forget which has arbitration rights now. 

Nah, total diva.

Forced his way off of three different teams in his young career already.