Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Hey Bert! No, we didn't make a big deal out of 300 yards. That was on you. Nichols didn't throw accurate deep balls last year when 'we' were actually complaining about it.

Well made I need to search the word 300 yards in the thread and see how much it comes up from people not me.

Or how many times people keep on complaining about my position about passing yards being meaningless.  Cuz they are, they're meaningless.

3 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I’ve never been a Suitor fan but last night his colour commentary was pretty good. His video comparison between Cleon Lang and J Jeffcoat’s tackling style on the QB was good. 

At times I give him a hard time about his objectivity but he does know football. I liked how Jefferson made a play on cue after Suitor mentioned Jefferson needs to hit the accelerator again.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

So Nichols has thrown a bunch of tds this year. He has no value because some folks don’t like his total yards yet don’t acknowledge he takes direction from a coach. This is  goofy argument.

imagine, the argument, Lucky Whitehead isn’t a value because he hasn’t broken a run for a touchdown on a running play. Remove his passing play tds and kick returns. What a bum. 

12 hours ago, J5V said:

Since I've asked you this twice now, how bout for once you tell us in what way(s) Nichols is a better QB than Streveler. Seriously, because the only argument I can make on Nichols' behalf is that he is more risk averse than Streveler, a point which could be argued both ways and could actually fall into Lapo's lap anyway. Otherwise, I think arguments could be made that Chris throws better, certainly runs better, and is far more likely to try to make a play rather than turtle with the ball or throw it away at the first sign of trouble, a trait seen by the better QBs of our league like Reilly and Mitchell.

When Nichols goes through his reads, if the first read isn't there, he goes through the rest until he has to check down or throw it away.

When Streveler goes through his reads, if the first read isn't there, he panics and throws it anyway, panics and throws a pick, or panics and runs.

You can call it "trying to make a play", but it's 1 TD to 2INT this year versus 10TD to 1 INT for Nichols.

57 minutes ago, kcin94 said:

When Nichols goes through his reads, if the first read isn't there, he goes through the rest until he has to check down or throw it away.

When Streveler goes through his reads, if the first read isn't there, he panics and throws it anyway, panics and throws a pick, or panics and runs.

You can call it "trying to make a play", but it's 1 TD to 2INT this year versus 10TD to 1 INT for Nichols.

Thanks. So when Nichols throws it away or runs it isn't panic but when Streveler throws it away or runs, it's panic. Interesting take. I'll give you the TD-INT thing but to me that's nothing more than years of experience, the very thing some of us have been saying we need to see Streveler get more of so he can develop. He's young, smart, runs like the wind, strong as an ox, and athletically gifted. Nichols, not so much. But Nichols is the vastly more experienced QB and deserves to be the #1. I just wish we'd give the young guy more playing time to develop.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The main difference between Streveler & Nichols? Streveler isn't Ready For Prime Time yet.

But will he ever be if he doesn't get some serious playing time? 

41 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Yup, obviously the game is very fast for Streveler. 

When he came in to run a few plays yesterday he immediately threw two crisp, sharp, mid-range passes that were right on the money. I don't think Nichols has the confidence to make those throws. I think if he could just get some more playing time the game would slow down nicely for him.

33 minutes ago, J5V said:

When he came in to run a few plays yesterday he immediately threw two crisp, sharp, mid-range passes that were right on the money. I don't think Nichols has the confidence to make those throws. I think if he could just get some more playing time the game would slow down nicely for him.

Nichols doesn’t lack confidence. What a ridiculous thing to say.  Keep trying though. 

47 minutes ago, J5V said:

Pure comedy. 

I think I can sum the fishing expedition up with this

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Nichols didn't throw accurate deep balls last year when 'we' were actually complaining about it.

Exactly, we need to use deep balls as a weapon to go after him with last year.  Now this year it's "ohhh nooo Nichols is hitting deep balls and debunking the myth.  We gotta throw those out the window and find something else to nail him to the wall with.  We can't stop this fishing expedition witch hunt, we gotta keep fishing to find something that sticks."

Yup, that's what this is

Edited by USABomberfan

5 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Exactly, we need to use deep balls as a weapon to go after him with.  Now this year it's "ohhh nooo Nichols is hitting deep balls and debunking the myth.  We gotta throw those out the window and find something else to nail him to the wall with.  We can't stop this fishing expedition witch hunt, we gotta keep fishing to find something that sticks."

Yup, that's what this is

Honestly, what gives you the right when all last season you were crapping on Ritchie Hall. Almost like it was personal. You see, on a fan forum, ppl come to chat about all sorts of things, things such as inconsistent passing game or a crapppy D or even firing coaches. Its a weird concept where we all have different opinions on certain elements of the game and just cuz u or anyone else says so it dont mean you are right. Matter of fact you appear to be dead wrong about Ritchie Hall, perhaps you are dead wrong here also. Then again, who knows. Fan forum.. Where ppl have different opinions. What a concept. Bro, you were captain of the fishing witch hunt ship last season talking about Hall. 

Edited by Goalie

17 hours ago, Goalie said:

Honestly, what gives you the right when all last season you were crapping on Ritchie Hall. Almost like it was personal. You see, on a fan forum, ppl come to chat about all sorts of things, things such as inconsistent passing game or a crapppy D or even firing coaches. Its a weird concept where we all have different opinions on certain elements of the game and just cuz u or anyone else says so it dont mean you are right. Matter of fact you appear to be dead wrong about Ritchie Hall, perhaps you are dead wrong here also. Then again, who knows. Fan forum.. Where ppl have different opinions. What a concept

Well maybe someone told Richie Hall to wise up and start calling good plays before the angry mob came after him and crucified him at midfield.  Good for him if he did.  But see I don't need to move the goal posts around on him if he does his job.

That apparently doesn't apply to Nichols so this argument is irrelevant.  Man, so simple in the head.

Edited by USABomberfan

1 hour ago, J5V said:

The game probably will slow down for him. Right now the guys that are responsible, objective and experienced, want Nichols in because #15 gives the team the best chance for success. The first four games of this season has proven them correct. 

Glad to see that Streveler is our backup, change of pace guy and has potential. 

34 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

The game probably will slow down for him. Right now the guys that are responsible, objective and experienced, want Nichols in because #15 gives the team the best chance for success. The first four games of this season has proven them correct. 

Glad to see that Streveler is our backup, change of pace guy and has potential. 

For sure! I have no argument there and agree that Nichols is the definite #1 QB of this club because he gives us the best chance to win game in and game out.

19 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Exactly, we need to use deep balls as a weapon to go after him with last year.  Now this year it's "ohhh nooo Nichols is hitting deep balls and debunking the myth.  We gotta throw those out the window and find something else to nail him to the wall with.  We can't stop this fishing expedition witch hunt, we gotta keep fishing to find something that sticks."

Yup, that's what this is

Last year folks said Nichols wasn't hitting the deep balls because (Read this slowly if you have to) Nichols wasn't hitting the deep balls. It's not a myth. It's the truth and hitting deep balls this year doesn't mean he was good at hitting them last year.

No one is trying to 'nail him to the wall', there's no 'fishing expedition' or 'witch hunt'. Those are all in your mind, just like the fictitious you gotta throw for 300 yards to be a good QB you love to make fun of.