Odds and Sods - Riders at Bombers - Banjo Bowl

do or die

Nichols hits Thompkins on 20yd slant.....
Demski sweeps for another 25......
But on 2nd and short....Nichols lines up wide...
...with a direct snap to Demski - 5 yd loss...
Just another Lapo Special, in the red zone..
Medlock makes it 3-0
Bombers driving again....Thompkins drops 2nd down pass...
....then goes down and is carried into ambulance on a stretcher...
Alexander making some nice plays early
Harris draw play on 2nd and 17...draws some boos.....
Gator totally jumps hitch pass....Colaros throw it right to him
....and Gator is long gone, for 50 yd INT TD.  Blue up by 10
Rider O not looking much better than last week....
Nichols does throw behind to Washington on side lines....
...who gets face mask tacked on for a huge gain.....
Harris wide open in flat - Nichols throws over middle instead
...right into the hands of Jefferson, who runs by Nichols .....
....and keeps running and hotdogging 98 yds for the TD
Nice 14 point swing, there...
Next possession, Nichols throws pick into double coverage on Petermann....
..... but roughing penalty negates it.  Matt really pressing out there....
Very physical out there.....Riders really having some penalty issues....
Sask punt from end zone.....Demski actually runs straight ahead for 20 yds PR
Riders take 3 penalties, to put it on the 1.  Streveler sneaks in.  17-7 Blue
Alexander picks off under thrown ball......PI penalty wipes that out....
Collaros hits pass down to the 11.  Gator makes nice play on screen pass
Riders settle for 3.  Nichols under duress, tries to throw it away......
...but it floats up short of the sideline....for an awful INT.
Roh takes stupid Ob conduct - kicking mouth guard lying on the field
Riders close the gap, with FG......17-13
Wolitarski becoming a solid target in this O
Nichols under pressure, tries desperation underhanded toss....
....right into the hands of a Rider who motors untouched for 100 yd TD..
 Riders somehow up 20-17 in a half where they had like 80 yds of O.
Nichols gets a resounding chorus of boos to close out the half.
5 picks in a half.... from a veteran QB in a must game?   Enough.
If Nichols is not pulled - MOS is going to hear it too.
2nd half....and yes.... looks like Streveler will go in
Collaros moves the Riders for 4 first downs....
Bombers leaving the flats wide open.
Actual Loffler sighting....as he flat out drops ball, thrown right at him.
Streveler's first pass is to Petermann for nice gain
Blocking for Harris is non-existent today, totally stuffed on the run plays
Petermann gets totally jacked up over the middle by a Rider
Alexander still making plays - nice game for him.
Wish Demski would do less dancing and more straight line
Strev overthrows pass into double coverage....which is then tipped and picked off..
What is with our QB reads today?  Like some kind of contagious disease.....
Loffler shoves guy into kicking net - 15 yds. 
Mason running effectively for Riders.....D does hold.
Rider FG puts them up by 9.  Morose atmosphere in stands.
Hecth blitz off the edge, comes in clean and drills ZC - fumble recovered by Bighill
Wolitarski gets good yds on screen....Demski sweeps for another first down
Streveler then finds Petermann in back of end zone for the TD.
The Canucks do a better job of catching and YAC, than our imports at receiver.
Bomber D gets another stop.  Strev finds Adams deep over the middle....
Petermann drops probable TD slant.  Medlock puts bombers into the lead.
Bridge gets two big completions and roughing penalty, and Mason, down to Bomber 15
Bomber D yet another stop.   A lot of bending..... but no breaking, today.....
Rider FG puts them up 29-27.  3 minutes to go.
Two Streveler incomplete passes....forces Blue to punt.
Harris a complete afterthought in our O, at this point.....
Bomber D does the job and O has ball back with 2 minutes to go....
Streveler throws for loss to Demski - short pass to Demski - now 3rd down
Riders get big pressure...Strev lobs one up to the sideline while falling down....
.....for yet another pick.  Why not?  One area of consistency in Bomber O, today...
Riders hit 6th FG of game.   Now 32-27
Streveler hits Washington over the middle  But 5 Bombers can't handle 3 rushers...
....and Strev is sacked.  Now Hail Mary time.....
But pass out of bounds, 15 yds short of end zone will not get it done.  Bombers done.
The D really hung in there today, making a number of big plays to stop Rider drives
The O?  What we have here is a failure to execute.  Play calls, drops...bushel of picks..
Must win game and must bounce back game for Nichols.  Double fail.  4th straight loss.
Took a lot of mistakes to get swept by this Rider team.   Bombers certainly well up to that task
Managed to get this Odds and Sods out, in a relatively calm manner....
....while drinking my gin ferociously.

157ypw5.jpg

Separate, and yet related.

- What bothers me is the thought that Regina thinks they beat us in two games. One team did beat us, but it wasn’t them..

- I think l LaPo knows an awful lot about offensive playmaking. Unfortunately, he applies more of the awful than the playmaking. There’s a severe difference between what he knows and how he uses that knowledge.

- Mr. Nichols. As we are seeing, he is a somewhat limited QB. He needs lots of support to have a decent game. And he has provided decent games. But he hit the lowest of lows last game. He was stripped of the veneer of a smart, efficient QB. Hard talk and film study will only get you so far, and as we now realizing, we may not be going far at all.

- The combination of LaPolice and Nichols. - From the BC game until this last fiasco, we have seen an offence that gets stymied easily and finds no way to find a way to keep our offence on the field. 7 losses. Half of which could have been avoided with just a few first downs in each game. Pitiful. 

- I don’t believe I’ve ever seen 2 pick six TDs, in the red zone, by Linemen. Total disaster and a sign of a flailing ball club. I feel sorry for the players who are playing hard and watching their season getting flushed.

- Tell me, is there a default setting in LaPolice’s offence? Because it seems when things look to be working, the plays default back to predictable calls or head scratching calls..

- Saskatchewan- held to 6 FGs.. 18 points. Plus the 2 TDs we gave them. Sickening.

- Really good news from the CFL head office this week - the Bombers aren’t playing due to a bye..

- I thought there was a déjà vu moment on Monday Night Football The first pass of the game was a pick six. What I want to know is who’s messing with me? 

- The more I watch CFL games and the offences those teams run, for the most part, the less I think of LaPo’s play calling..bottom third in the league.

- And to think I thought Nichols was a better QB than Masoli..

- 17 is not a friendly number for the Bombers..either getting stuck at that number on offence or donating to the opposition.

- And finally, time for O’Shea to be more of a hard ass. His coaching style is wearing thin.

30 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

157ypw5.jpg

- What bothers me is the thought that Regina thinks they beat us in two games. One team did beat us, but it wasn’t them..

- I think l LaPo knows an awful lot about offensive playmaking. Unfortunately, he applies more of the awful than the playmaking. There’s a severe difference between what he knows and how he uses that knowledge.

- Mr. Nichols. As we are seeing, he is a somewhat limited QB. He needs lots of support to have a decent game. And he has provided decent games. But he hit the lowest of lows last game. He was stripped of the veneer of a smart, efficient QB. Hard talk and film study will only get you so far, and as we now realizing, we may not be going far at all.

- The combination of LaPolice and Nichols. - From the BC game until this last fiasco, we have seen an offence that gets stymied easily and finds no way to find a way to keep our offence on the field. 7 losses. Half of which could have been avoided with just a few first downs in each game. Pitiful. 

- I don’t believe I’ve ever seen 2 pick six TDs, in the red zone, by Linemen. Total disaster and a sign of a flailing ball club. I feel sorry for the players who are playing hard and watching their season getting flushed.

- Tell me, is there a default setting in LaPolice’s offence? Because it seems when things look to be working, the plays default back to predictable calls or head scratching calls..

- Saskatchewan- held to 6 FGs.. 18 points. Plus the 2 TDs we gave them. Sickening.

- Really good news from the CFL head office this week - the Bombers aren’t playing due to a bye..

- I thought there was a déjà vu moment on Monday Night Football The first pass of the game was a pick six. What I want to know is who’s messing with me? 

- The more I watch CFL games and the offences those teams run, for the most part, the less I think of LaPo’s play calling..bottom third in the league.

- And to think I thought Nichols was a better QB than Masoli..

- 17 is not a friendly number for the Bombers..either getting stuck at that number on offence or donating to the opposition.

- And finally, time for O’Shea to be more of a hard ass. His coaching style is wearing thin.

You at least had the good sense to keep ellipsis out of the above content.....

Therefore, I officially approve of this message.

34 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Pre-season knee injury to Nichols has had a lot more impact than we give it credit for...  Lapo WAS rolling Nichols out and moving the pocket...  now I think everyone is over-thinking things.

Should have let him ride the six-game out.

I am not sure that Nichols' injury has much to do with his performance in the past few games. If it is, it was a time bomb that would have gone off sooner or later. Mr. Dee, you were not alone in your comparison of Masoli vs Nichols. I was one of them and the majority here even thought Nichols was better than even Harris in Ottawa and perhaps one of the top three QBs in the league. If Nichols cannot function as a pure drop-back passer, and that is the only option for him, then he needs to be replaced.

9 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Nice to finally hear you say this. It's been a long time coming.

21 hours ago, do or die said:

Sure.  Who wants to hear any more of this stuff about how we are better than our record, almost there, as good as anyone, etc, etc.   

Prove it.

But I've also read here overtime how aghast some are here if MOS would consider calling out a player/coach to be better outside of the dressing room. So do people want him to be more hard assed for all to see or just internally that most of us don't know how that goes?

Edited by HardCoreBlue

13 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

But I've also read here overtime how aghast some are here if MOS would consider calling out a player/coach to be better outside of the dressing room. So do people want him to be more hard assed for all to see or just internally that most of us don't know how that goes?

If he's doing it at all it's not working and that's a fail. He should have found a way by now. It's been a 5 year honeymoon.