Richie Hall Defence

Floyd

Good read, but it’s more complicated than saying “prevent defence”.

If you have the type of players who are fully in to this kind of D, then you have a good chance to actually prevent the offences from reading easily. It does look like we’re moving in that direction, but it does take communication, and isn’t that what we’ve been hearing for the last little while?

Now that I’ve read that article, and I’ve left my comfort zone, I’ll pass it off to my board mates to handle their own particular soft zones or man up about it. 

😁Huh?

Some will say that we haven't beaten a good offense yet...but I contend that I have seen improvements in this defense in the last 3-4 games. With Brandan Alexander back and with Sayles getting valuable playing experience I see the makings of possibly a top 3 defense. Our linebackers are now the strength of this defense...IMHO the best linebackers we have had since the late '80's/early 90's days.

In the end it’s all a guessing game between the DC and the OC.  If the OC overloads the right spot on the defense and the QB reads it, there’s not much you can do but make the tackle.  If the DC brackets the right route that is the first read the QB can be in a lot of trouble.

I like this defense best when it’s two deep safeties with coverage in the flats rushing 3 or 4, WIL or MIKE dropping into the middle reading QB eyes.  Force QB’s to make throws.  You have a lot of guys that are really good at playing a deep half.  Leggett, Fenner, Fogg, Bighill, Alexander, Sayles has been good.  I’m not a big fan of Loffler downfield because he’s slow in terms of footspeed and spotting the ball.  You can run this basic coverage repeatedly and change who/which position drops, which picks up flats.  I’d get Loffler down in the flats a lot too because you need him engaged physically.  As long as the DL gets pressure with 3-4 this coverage is pretty damn hard to beat.

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

Some will say that we haven't beaten a good offense yet..

So other than the Bombers, is there actually a good offense in the CFL? Maybe Edmonton? But then again a lot of what they do is just huck it! chuck it! hope guys make big plays. 

Calgary doesn't seem as scary as they used to be, the east is a bit of mess...

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So other than the Bombers, is there actually a good offense in the CFL? Maybe Edmonton? But then again a lot of what they do is just huck it! chuck it! hope guys make big plays. 

Calgary doesn't seem as scary as they used to be, the east is a bit of mess...

Calgary and Edmonton definitely do.  I wouldn't declare Winnipeg as having the best until they can prove that they can go numerous games without the old quick two and outs when it matters the most.  

What makes Winnipeg IMO seem quality is that we have such a variety of quality players that even a backup with zero experience can excel.    If Edmonton were to lose Duke to an injury I would think they'd be really hurt in how they can put up points against a decent defense.