D for Disaster (not D Fence)

BigBlue

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

Thanks Booch.

No problem...thats the best footage tho to view everything..schemes..busts..etc...In camp and practices teams will film it that way too so they can properly review everything. I know when I played we had a dedicated guy in each stadium filming it

2 hours ago, do or die said:

Been wondering why....in the last couple of years....why our DB's get beat so often on 50/50 balls.......

Right now, what was once a 50/50 ball is more like a 20/80 ball. The wrs get away with flagrant push offs, pulls on dbs jerseys etc. And dbs dont get away with jack. They dont even have the right to occupy the space their body takes up in the air. Its like every WR is lebron james and every DB is some D league scrub. 

Combine that with the fact that most dbs are 5'10 ish and every team has that one guy whose 6'4 ish And even that 20/80 ball that used to be 50/50 is now 95/5 at best. 

Edited by wbbfan

26 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Right now, what was once a 50/50 ball is more like a 20/80 ball. The wrs get away with flagrant push offs, pulls on dbs jerseys etc. And dbs dont get away with jack. They dont even have the right to occupy the space their body takes up in the air. Its like every WR is lebron james and every DB is some D league scrub. 

Combine that with the fact that most dbs are 5'10 ish and every team has that one guy whose 6'4 ish And even that 80/10 ball that used to be 50/50 is now 95/5 at best. 

One guy?? The Esks. have the following:

Hazelton 6'-3"

Stafford 6'-3"

Walker 6'-2"

Williams 6'-3"

Mitchell 6'-2"

Criner 6'-3"

I think height has a huge part to play in the  outcome of jump balls.

33 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

One guy?? The Esks. have the following:

Hazelton 6'-3"

Stafford 6'-3"

Walker 6'-2"

Williams 6'-3"

Mitchell 6'-2"

Criner 6'-3"

I think height has a huge part to play in the  outcome of jump balls.

As in, every team has that one guy. Edm is made up of those guys. But every team has atleast one. 

Vert, arm length hand size etc a lot of measurable play into jump balls. Height is certainly one of them, but it isnt the biggest one imo. In theory halls defense should do better against jump balls, but most teams toss em past the point our DBs flip their hips, speed turn and follow the wr. Every team in the league has known the location of the holes in our D for years. This year they will be a bit different,but still there. 

What worries me more then jump balls is amount of cushion we give past the first down marker. The frequency of 2nd and longs converted because we are playing too deep. If we did a better job of defending first down yardage on second and more then 6 yards Id be fine with halls defense. Not my idea of optimal D strategy but good none the less. Nearly every starting QB will complete the 2nd and 7-15 range passes to wrs under coverage at a very high percentage. The qbs that dont, we could beat with any form of defense. 

24 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/06/19/bomber-blitz-june-19/

D and Chris Ramdle

Hall cites lack of discipline and mental mistakes especially on two plays  on first video ... Chris confirms that

Hall says rushers have to stay in their lanes better

Yah, It was good to hear an actual explanation from the coach, other than just the usual cliches ......."overall the defence played well, just a couple of plays made the difference in the game"

I didn't realize, eskimos didn't score second and third quarters. 

2 hours ago, BigBlue said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/06/19/bomber-blitz-june-19/

D and Chris Randle

Hall cites lack of discipline and mental mistakes especially on two plays  on first video ... Chris confirms that

Hall says rushers have to stay in their lanes better

I'm not sure if this was part of the same interview, but on 1290 this afternoon, Hall was asked his opinion of the play of the defence against the Esks. He said that " the defence played about average"-no argument there, but did not see much of a problem in giving up almost 500 yards of offence, and that a couple of plays made them look worse than they were. It stunned me to hear that this was an acceptable standard and it sounded like every other post-game interview since he got here.

Not to worry, O'Shea has his back.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

I'm not sure if this was part of the same interview, but on 1290 this afternoon, Hall was asked his opinion of the play of the defence against the Esks. He said that " the defence played about average"-no argument there, but did not see much of a problem in giving up almost 500 yards of offence, and that a couple of plays made them look worse than they were. It stunned me to hear that this was an acceptable standard and it sounded like every other post-game interview since he got here.

Not to worry, O'Shea has his back.

Did you expect him to come out throwing insults around at his defense? That's not going to happen with this team. Coaches don't say anything bad about their team or players in the media and that's OK. 

Do you really think that when they go into their meetings that it's all smiles and high fives cause it's OK to give up yards?

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Did you expect him to come out throwing insults around at his defense? That's not going to happen with this team. Coaches don't say anything bad about their team or players in the media and that's OK. 

Do you really think that when they go into their meetings that it's all smiles and high fives cause it's OK to give up yards?

Hall described the defence as about average- not unacceptable. This sure as spit sounded like the norm, and it definitely looked like the same old. Coaches do not have to name names unless all else fails, but not being honest when your charges serve up yet another sub-par performance and cost the team the win is bush.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

No he shouldn't throw anyone under the bus but he should take the blame himself and assure us that they will be better???? Or something to give us hope that this isn't going to be ground hog day all over again. 

41 minutes ago, pigseye said:

No he shouldn't throw anyone under the bus but he should take the blame himself and assure us that they will be better???? Or something to give us hope that this isn't going to be ground hog day all over again. 

If there is a blown coverage, missed assignment or pass rushers failing to stay in their lane....why is there an expectation that it is the coaches fault?  Granted if there are repeat offenders there should be an expectation that players are replaced.

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Its been Ok for several years now.

Bombers offensive coordinator Paul LaPolice spoke to the media on Tuesday for the first time since last week’s opener. And he offered a straightforward take on the work of rookie quarterback Chris Streveler.

“He made some good decisions, saw the field well,” began LaPolice. “One of his interceptions (by J.C. Sherritt) might be one of the better interceptions this season. I thought he managed to move the ball when we needed to. Again, this is a guy who hasn’t played a lot of football. We had a couple of things that were open and in the right spots and he just didn’t have his eyes right because it was maybe the second or third time he’s had the reps at full speed.

“A lot of room to grow, but I thought he commanded the huddle. When we talked about things in the locker room and said, ‘We think this is going to be there’ he recognized it and threw it for a touchdown. He did a good job.

“There are a lot of things he could do better, but you’ve just got to hold yourself and go, ‘Listen, one – this is his first real speed game. Two – I don’t even know the guy from a play-calling standpoint. I called about 20 plays for him, so I’ve got to get to know what he knows best and what he’s comfortable with. Room to grow, but we’ll just keep coaching.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/06/19/bomber-report-june-19/

22 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Exactly.  what's said to the media and what's said to the team behind closed doors... vastly different lines of communication me thinks..

22 hours ago, Tracker said:

Hall described the defence as about average- not unacceptable. This sure as spit sounded like the norm, and it definitely looked like the same old. Coaches do not have to name names unless all else fails, but not being honest when your charges serve up yet another sub-par performance and cost the team the win is bush.

It sure didnt look same old to me.  we got beat twice deep. Both times the DBs were there to make the play and failed.  last year and before, they were wide open with nobody around.  also our pressure on Reilly was better then I recalled seeing last year..

Not to mention bighill looked vastly more effective on coverage, tackling runs and blitzing..

On 2018-06-15 at 4:03 AM, Mike said:

This is one of those things people are going to use to harp on you about how you make too many threads.

This could easily fit in any post game discussion thread. You haven’t even created anything of substance here. You have four sentences, one fact and one thought.

I’ll share my thoughts though, since I don’t feel like being the guy who comes in here just to tell you what a grave mistake you’ve made ... our D looked predictable and unfortunately, it was being outcoached that did us in from what I saw ... didn’t catch the whole game, but I saw the end and it’s a classic case of being far too predictable in your schemes and trying to go to the well too many times. Might work against a Streveler ... not against a Reilly

Mike I thought I heard our posters say in the how-many-threads-topic that they wanted to see more small specific posts and less topics buried in the big general threads ,,,, this topic will be 4 or 5 pages which is a good length for a specific topic .... I am seeing more posters starting small threads now compared to a few weeks ago