The MLB/Goldeyes Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blue-jays-season-tickets-changes-1.6853575

After an April email was sent out to season ticket holders on the next phase of the $300-million renovation of Rogers Centre, some longtime Jays fans were dismayed to realize their coveted seats in the lower bowl will no longer exist, and that they face a steep price increase if they want to continue to be season ticket holders and select new seats. 

Some fans relayed to media outlets that they were told new seats would cost 10 times as much as their current spots. One family noted in the Toronto Star that they'd paid about $15,000 for two tickets, but would likely now have to spend more than $137,000 for two new seats.

The changes to the ballpark include three new "premium clubs" that will open in the 2024 season, according to a news release. The clubs promise an "extraordinary and elevated sports experience." 

The Home Plate Club, for instance, not only offers seats directly behind home plate, but membership "includes dedicated staff to attend your every need, optimum ease of arrival and departure from a designated Home Plate Club location, first access to a private dining space, a private bar with members-only service and the intimate champagne room." 

Just the 2024 premium club membership deposit (for "priority access") costs $1,000. The clubs will be located beneath "a completely reimagined lower bowl," where some devotees in the 100-level sections have been watching games in the same seats for years.

On social media, jokes swirled about the Blue Jays "renovicting" their fans; others called Jays baseball an "elitist sport."

"The Jays are catching up to what other teams have been doing; a segregated live sporting experience with 'VIP' access-only amenities for the wealthiest fans. They won't have to go anywhere near commoners anymore," one person wrote on Twitter in April.

14 hours ago, bustamente said:

Jays fans were sold a bill of goods about what the team was going to accomplish this year, hasn't worked out that way so far and they want to burn the place down.

They're still above .500. And, they don't have to paly the AL East much more. They'll find a way into a WC. 

But, Manoah? Oof. What a regression. 

Blue Jays have all the talent in the world, and you would assume it will all click at some point, but maybe too late? I still think at the end of the day, they will make the playoffs and can make a run, but something needs to be figured out.

Braves fan myself. I like our hitting, but not sure with our injuries on the mound, if our pitching will sustain us a whole season. Maybe a good trade before the deadline? We shall see.

Just now, Wilbur said:

Blue Jays have all the talent in the world, and you would assume it will all click at some point, but maybe too late? I still think at the end of the day, they will make the playoffs and can make a run, but something needs to be figured out.

Braves fan myself. I like our hitting, but not sure with our injuries on the mound, if our pitching will sustain us a whole season. Maybe a good trade before the deadline? We shall see.

That's a great team and Acuna is raking. You should win the NL East in a walk. 

6 hours ago, JCon said:

They're still above .500. And, they don't have to paly the AL East much more. They'll find a way into a WC. 

But, Manoah? Oof. What a regression. 

I'm not as confident with the Rays Orioles, and Yanks to contend with. There is something not quite right with that team and they have about a month and a half to try to figure it out. As for Manoah he needs a giant slice of humble pie, it's one thing to be confident on the mound it's another being a ****.

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

I'm not as confident with the Rays Orioles, and Yanks to contend with. There is something not quite right with that team and they have about a month and a half to try to figure it out. As for Manoah he needs a giant slice of humble pie, it's one thing to be confident on the mound it's another being a ****.

Oh, but they'll finish ahead of Boston. I still think they'll get a WC. 

26 minutes ago, JCon said:

Oh, but they'll finish ahead of Boston. I still think they'll get a WC. 

I think the Angels and Astros will have something to say about WC positioning. Maybe my eyes are clouded because of my hate of the Blue Jays