Bomber Moves 2018

BigBlue

20 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Ok.. .. Look at Riders roster tho... U think they close to being under the cap? They will have to cut more. 

Given that every team will have to cut and that there's really 'no cap' right now... as long as they're not paying big bonuses, seems like a regular off-season

We don't know salaries or contract structures and none of us are in the Riders' head office so we shouldn't act like we do.

Hmm, where have I heard something like that before...?

20 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Given that every team will have to cut and that there's really 'no cap' right now... as long as they're not paying big bonuses, seems like a regular off-season

We don't know salaries or contract structures and none of us are in the Riders' head office so we shouldn't act like we do.

Hmm, where have I heard something like that before...?

Dunk has mentioned multiple salaries for rider players. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Official

Good guy have to has your DI can play a multitude of positions on D. Is a very good returner.

Thats the truth. And if he ever figures it out in coverage he'd be all world. 

50 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Nice to see Fogg back as our 6th DB and a return guy...  crazy to see Heath, Thomas and Westerman all heading to FA

With heath, I think we will see turn over at DB. Would like him back, but I think thats a position we can scout and develop at the highest level. Better to spend the money else where if he expects premium money. Hes a big play maker at db, but he is no randle or mo. 

Thomas and westerman are both possible casualties of the insane depth at we have at DL. Jeffcoat, ogopogo, nevis, and poop start. Corney and ekakitie as back ups. Thats a fantastic line. With arguably our best starters intact. That said Id love both westerman and thomas back. More time for ekakitie to develop, thomas is great in a rotational role. Westy, when healthy is probably our best pass rusher. Easily our most gifted. And has the right pass port. Id if we can carry him ogopogo jeffcoat AND corney on the end though with out gimping our self else where.  

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

With heath, I think we will see turn over at DB. Would like him back, but I think thats a position we can scout and develop at the highest level. Better to spend the money else where if he expects premium money. Hes a big play maker at db, but he is no randle or mo. 

Thomas and westerman are both possible casualties of the insane depth at we have at DL. Jeffcoat, ogopogo, nevis, and poop start. Corney and ekakitie as back ups. Thats a fantastic line. With arguably our best starters intact. That said Id love both westerman and thomas back. More time for ekakitie to develop, thomas is great in a rotational role. Westy, when healthy is probably our best pass rusher. Easily our most gifted. And has the right pass port. Id if we can carry him ogopogo jeffcoat AND corney on the end though with out gimping our self else where.  

I still would like to have a proven veteran National defensive lineman on the roster.  I imagine we will sign somebody who is less expensive and younger than Westerman. Zach Evans would be high on my list.

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

But when have we EVER scouted an all-star boundary HB since Hefney... and that was John Murphy's connections...

Does no one remember Demond Washington, Bruce Johnson... Desia Dunn...?

Leggett, Heath and Randle had boundary locked down for most of last season - only looked mortal when Leggett went down

Edited by Floyd

22 minutes ago, Floyd said:

But when have we EVER scouted an all-star boundary HB since Hefney... and that was John Murphy's connections...

Does no one remember Demond Washington, Bruce Johnson... Desia Dunn...?

Leggett, Heath and Randle had boundary locked down for most of last season - only looked mortal when Leggett went down

You cant just strip it down to which side a db plays. Guys will switch more then you would think with motion and 5+ wr sets. Not to mention with randle eating up one side of the field for years. 

Allstar? The allstar roster selection in the CFL is often a joke. Out right favoritism wins out. Weve seen all stars one year unsigned the next. With dbs, all star spots often go to guys with the most picks./d tds. Randle is just getting the recognition he deserves.   Bruce johnson was a really good db. So was frederick.

The scheme we play could also makes dbs look about as bad as possible. 

Take a good look at the ex bomber DBs the league over. And how long guys lasted after we let them go. 

Edited by wbbfan

Just now, Colin Unger said:

I still would like to have a proven veteran National defensive lineman on the roster.  I imagine we will sign somebody who is less expensive and younger than Westerman. Zach Evans would be high on my list.

Corney is a pretty good guy for that spot the league over. Plus we wont know what he is really capable of till hes thrown out there more. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Corney is a pretty good guy for that spot the league over. Plus we wont know what he is really capable of till hes thrown out there more. 

True.  But right now we are one Trent Corney injury away from having to play Faith as a nearly every down player.  We need more depth there IMO.

Just now, Colin Unger said:

True.  But right now we are one Trent Corney injury away from having to play Faith as a nearly every down player.  We need more depth there IMO.

So we are 2 ni injuries away from having to play a green ni. Thats the case for most every team and most every position imo. Sure its great to bring in all the talent at all the positions you can find. Especially on the line, and especially NIs. But i dont think we need a NI back up DL more then any thing else. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Is the implication here that those guys were crappy players? Cause Johnson was solid and Washington was really ******* good.... 

Personally I'd rather have two very solid DB's than one TJ Heath at this point. We had the all-stars we had the front end talent but your secondary has to play as a unit and it is only as strong as the weakest link. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Is the implication here that those guys were crappy players? Cause Johnson was solid and Washington was really ******* good.... 

Johnson was 'good' but not great - he got beat for more big plays than anyone

Demond Washington was another Kevin Fogg - great all around athlete and good player to have on your team - but he was not a good boundary HB

We have had 'decent' players - but we haven't had a game changing player at that position between Hefney and Heath...

7 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Personally I'd rather have two very solid DB's than one TJ Heath at this point. We had the all-stars we had the front end talent but your secondary has to play as a unit and it is only as strong as the weakest link. 

Why not just six solid DBs...

Walker and Alexander are likely still on league min contracts - Loffler getting paid same as last year - Branning, Conteh, Jones are great NI depth - Fogg maybe got a small raise

Hopefully Clarke and Gaitor are near league minimum with bonus? - otherwise, I'd dump both those guys for Heath in a heartbeat

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Demond Washington was another Kevin Fogg - great all around athlete and good player to have on your team - but he was not a good boundary HB

We have had 'decent' players - but we haven't had a game changing player at that position between Hefney and Heath...

Hefney and Heath were beat lots also. The life of the HB. They get beat at times. 

Just now, Goalie said:

Hefney and Heath were beat lots also. The life of the HB. They get beat at times. 

And you post this very very basic football fact for what reason? lol

Hefney and Heath are ballhawks in ways that other DBs are not...  this does not come along every day.

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Johnson didnt get beat for more big plays then any one. In fact he got beat for among the fewest. 

I wonder where they see Fogg lining up.  They must have a role in mind for him otherwise he wouldn’t have signed before free agency.   IMO he had a pretty unremarkable season as a DB last year and while I do like his punt returning it would be nice to add a guy who can do all returns and be dangerous anytime he touches the ball.