Blue Bomber Free Agent List

sweep the leg

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

What we are looking at on the defensive line as it stands right now is that there will be on Canadian on the field at all times.  In terms of Ekakitie.... having a full season of pro football under his belt and going home and training all offseason and then coming back to camp knowing what he needs to do to make a larger impact can make a pretty big difference over him coming in as a raw rookie. But between him, Corney, and Thomas or somebody else we might sign in free agency we can have a Canadian on the field at all times. In terms of Neufeld I'm not concerned with his level of play at guard.  He's on an offensive line which features pretty good teammates.  I would calculate for Chung and Goosen to continue to grow and improve. My concern with him is his inability to play 18 games. However, since I believe that Couture is ready to begin facing the challenge of being a starter I'm not worried about the situation. I'd like to see us pick up some sort of veteran Canadian backup to compete in training camp until we know we we've got. However, its going to be difficult to find the room once we draft another offensive lineman this year to add to the backup core of Couture, Speller, and Spooner. 

Until Couture plays multiple complete games competently at OG I'm not sold on the concept that he is a reliable backup at this point.  We've seen too many Natl. O-lineman with better size come and go over the years who did not achieve success in the CFL despite having multiple years to develop as understudies.  Forgive me if I'm a deeply scarred cynic with a bad case of Drew Willy happy feet and still haunted by Max Hall's infernal pain but as I recall, there was "what's his name?", "what's his name?" and that other "what's his name?", all Natls. with the size of Goliath that never amounted to the value of an over-ripe hill of beans.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

48 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Fwiw, Darren Cameron says on Twitter: talks with Leggett are ongoing and really hope to get that done. Also, and maybe more interesting, Andy Mulumba recently informed the Bombers he is moving on from football. 

Blah, it would’ve been nice if Mulumba came or If we could’ve swung him for a first.

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

Well that should be the decision now to give Westerman a bump...lock him down same with Moe

If money is available to sign heath after we address our 2 glaring needs..then go hard at him

If it means cutting ties with tbomas..jfg..hurl..denmark...it makes us better

Agreed on Heath. I know there is negative talk about him, but what I saw was mostly QBs not throwing to 8 & 23’s side of the field. 

:654_bomb: Atomic Top 10 Free Agent Targets :654_bomb:

1.  Mo Leggett - Must re-sign.
2.  Larry Dean - MLB is the position in most need of improvement and Dean may be the best MLB on the market.
3.  Bear Woods - This would be my second choice for an MLB.
4.  SJ Green - I believe he will return to Toronto but if he doesn't I'd love to see him here.  He is still a game-breaking receiver.
5.  Davaris Daniels - Young and talented, probably the best receiver on the market aside from SJ Green.
6. Jamaal Westerman - It would be great to have him back.  Our ratio will take a huge hit if we lose him.  But I think we need to address MLB and receiver more than we need Westerman.
7. JC Sherritt - I'm not sure if Sherritt still has 'it' but I'd take a chance on him if we can't get the top two MLB's on this list at 2 and 3.
8. Ted Laurent - If we lose Westerman we need to replace him in the ratio somewhere.  Jake Thomas could also be on the move.  Laurent would be a great pickup.
9. Adam Konar - Could we start Konar at WLB and Wild/Santos-Knox at MLB?
10. Otha Foster - If we can't get Leggett back, we may need a guy like Foster.  He is a solid player but didn't play much last year because of NFL aspirations.

Taking a better look at things..i would hope we keep our ratio the same now.

Sign Westerman and with a game day rotation with Corney and Ekakite and possibly Marouf or some other entry level National we can be very successful.

Heath is a luxury yes..but if we get that stud in the middle..and Walker and Alexander improve on a rookie season which I think they will along with vets Clarke and Gaitor coming in I think the loss of Heath if need be is not that dire. 

Get Bond back on that online for continued consistency and see where Spooner and Couture are at in camp..if ready to roll we could always trade Neuf for a draft pick or something else of need. 

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

:654_bomb: Atomic Top 10 Free Agent Targets :654_bomb:

1.  Mo Leggett - Must re-sign.
2.  Larry Dean - MLB is the position in most need of improvement and Dean may be the best MLB on the market.
3.  Bear Woods - This would be my second choice for an MLB.
4.  SJ Green - I believe he will return to Toronto but if he doesn't I'd love to see him here.  He is still a game-breaking receiver.
5.  Davaris Daniels - Young and talented, probably the best receiver on the market aside from SJ Green.
6. Jamaal Westerman - It would be great to have him back.  Our ratio will take a huge hit if we lose him.  But I think we need to address MLB and receiver more than we need Westerman.
7. JC Sherritt - I'm not sure if Sherritt still has 'it' but I'd take a chance on him if we can't get the top two MLB's on this list at 2 and 3.
8. Ted Laurent - If we lose Westerman we need to replace him in the ratio somewhere.  Jake Thomas could also be on the move.  Laurent would be a great pickup.
9. Adam Konar - Could we start Konar at WLB and Wild/Santos-Knox at MLB?
10. Otha Foster - If we can't get Leggett back, we may need a guy like Foster.  He is a solid player but didn't play much last year because of NFL aspirations.

Bang on. I know some may say Green is past his prime, but we heard that the past two off seasons. I’ve seen no hint of decline and don’t think we would with him on a team with Adams, Dressler, and Demski ?.

Sherritt is a bit a question for me and not sure if Bear Woods would have any interest in coming to WPG. I’d be very happy regardless with any of those MLBs.

I'll give it a shot...

1. Mo Legget - anchor on this team - can't lose both him and Westerman...

2. Adam Konar - guy is just starting to reach his potential - I'm fine with Wild/JSK in the middle

3.  Phillip Blake - massive upgrade over Neufeld... a bit off the radar this year so should be value signing - need a legit NI OL if we're moving on from Bond

4. Gascon-Nadon - really like this guy, would be great rotational pairing with Corney

5. Davaris Daniels - odd man out in Calgary, can start at slotback and fill in for Adams if he gets injured...

6. Nic Demski - huge potential, would be good combo with Wolitarsky 

7. TJ Heath - Boundary was locked down last year...  Boundary HB is a hard position, don't see anyone on the roster that can just step in...

8.  Jerome Messam - might end up as a 'value pick given injuries and age...  Messam/Harris would be wicked - but I'll take LaFrance too

9.  Jasper Collins - 'value signing' - think he could be another 'Darvin Adams' find...

10.  Christophe Normand - I like the way this guy plays, I'd re-sign him

My shocker prediction...  we move on from Leggett and sign Chandler Fenner...

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Taking a better look at things..i would hope we keep our ratio the same now.

Sign Westerman and with a game day rotation with Corney and Ekakite and possibly Marouf or some other entry level National we can be very successful.

Heath is a luxury yes..but if we get that stud in the middle..and Walker and Alexander improve on a rookie season which I think they will along with vets Clarke and Gaitor coming in I think the loss of Heath if need be is not that dire. 

Get Bond back on that online for continued consistency and see where Spooner and Couture are at in camp..if ready to roll we could always trade Neuf for a draft pick or something else of need. 

So the starting Canadians would be: Westerman & Co, Loffler, Harris, Goossen, Chungh, Feoli - Gudino and ??

If the LB corps is all American and they keep Bond on the OL, they need another Canadian receiver or need to have two Canadian DL on the field all the time

13 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Until Couture plays multiple complete games competently at OG I'm not sold on the concept that he is a reliable backup at this point.  We've seen too many Natl. O-lineman with better size come and go over the years who did not achieve success in the CFL despite having multiple years to develop as understudies.  Forgive me if I'm a deeply scarred cynic with a bad case of Drew Willy happy feet and still haunted by Max Hall's infernal pain but as I recall, there was "what's his name?", "what's his name?" and that other "what's his name?", all Natls. with the size of Goliath that never amounted to the value of an over-ripe hill of beans.

I don't know why people bring of Couture's size.  He was  6'4 276 at the combine but weighed in at 294 last year. I would imagine after another year of offseason training and eating i can't imagine he's gonna be considered under sized.  It often takes a couple years to get to where they need to be. My confidence from him comes from past history with the bombers developing offensive lineman.  Goosen they knew needed some times when they draft him and that worked out. Chung worked out.  They've been brining Couture along just like Goosen before him and at this point he needs to play and battle through the challenges of being a starter. But i'd take him over some veteran who proved unworthy of starting in the CFL. 

47 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

So the starting Canadians would be: Westerman & Co, Loffler, Harris, Goossen, Chungh, Feoli - Gudino and ??

If the LB corps is all American and they keep Bond on the OL, they need another Canadian receiver or need to have two Canadian DL on the field all the time

Getting Westerman back would change the outlook on things...   I'm just not sure how we can get back both Westerman and Leggett on top of everyone else we've already re-signed and expect to be active in free agency.  If we do that then I think we may be looking at Santos Knox as the starting middle linebacker. 

If we can find or land a stud receiver to go with Adams and Dressler  and say land Demski to rotate in with Drew and Coates then we can utilize bond and just loffler and the Westerman and Corney/Ekakitie  rotations.

If that not an option possibly we go Canadian at boundary corner..see if Jones/Branning/Conteh can manage the spot. 

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

If we can find or land a stud receiver to go with Adams and Dressler  and say land Demski to rotate in with Drew and Coates then we can utilize bond and just loffler and the Westerman and Corney/Ekakitie  rotations.

If that not an option possibly we go Canadian at boundary corner..see if Jones/Branning/Conteh can manage the spot. 

I'm still relatively high on Givens.  But yeah landing a top notch free-agent Spencer it would make starting 2 Canadian receivers that much more realistic as there would be plenty of American talent in our 3 starters.  

14 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

How Colin can make a statement that Couture is somehow ready with virtually no playing time is hard to understand. All I know our OL sucked until Bond started & now it looks like management has made the decision to replace him. If we start an inferior player in his place & Nicholls gets injured then that is on Walters for not managing the salary cap properly. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

Fwiw, Darren Cameron says on Twitter: talks with Leggett are ongoing and really hope to get that done. Also, and maybe more interesting, Andy Mulumba recently informed the Bombers he is moving on from football. 

I don't think there's any rush signing Mo.. Im sure they'd like to get it done ASAP but hes pretty much Winnipeg or nothing it seems. 

Our online may have sucked somewhat..but a lot of the unsucking has to do with game experience gained in chungh and goosen..and the cohesion and continuity with them all being familiar with each other and knowing how to work together.. and know how they react to stunts..schemes..certain players 

That's the biggest thing with online play and I have seen first hand lines dominate with not necessarily all the best most dominant guys..but kicked add cause they functioned so good as a unit...and that's where ours is at..as well as working with lapo too now going on 3 years.

Couture as well got a lot of in game reps as injury replacement...especially inc2016 and didn't look outmatched one bit.

He will be fine..and if there are issues we can slot foketti in the lineup at either the guard spot...or flip him and Yoshi. 

Not sure if most here would know but he could be a starter on any other team in this league and it's a real testament to where this club is at..and the culture it has developed that he is still on our roster...he was in my opinion one of our key off-season resigns..and love him cause he is a mean nasty sob on the field