Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

On 2023-12-20 at 6:04 PM, Brandon said:

I'm not a fan of cheap fast food or generic chain restaurants.    

I'm a much bigger fan of the non chain local restaurants that make everything fresh and with higher quality ingredients.      These days most family chain restaurants are hurting because the younger generation usually have higher standards,  and for Sorrentos the menu for the other locations is kind of stuck in the 80's.    I'll give it a try and leave a review once it does open since it is nearby and they do have kids meals.    Until then I'll complain and just tell people to visit Roxy's in Selkirk or Jonseys in East St Paul for all your restaurant needs.  

I live in esp and I've never cared for jonseys.  Everyone else loves it. Not for me. Everytime I get a burger there it tastes dried out and bland to me.

Sorrentos.. meh.. not great either. I used to grab pasta from vincenzos down the street once in a while.

Brandon has an amazing pasta joint called pizza express. Hands down the best pasta joint on the market. Some have said they found it a little soupy, but for me it's incredible. They just opened a location in wpg on roblin. Give it a shot

The all around tastiest meals at the best value I had all year were at the lounge at Larter's Golf and Country Club, "Parry's". You don't need to be a member to visit.

https://www.larters.com/clubhouse/restaurant/

Anything with the chef's name on it is a guaranteed delicious choice.

Parry's omelet... that Asiago cheese and Winkler sausage puts it over the top

The Cordon Swiss burger for lunch ended my day. All I wanted to do was curl up and savor the food coma. I tried the Ultimate Burger next time with the same results.

If you're lucky enough to visit when perogy soup is on simmer you HAVE TO get some.

Edited by MOBomberFan

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Brandon said:

That is unfortunate,  the area is saturated with many East Indian restaurants already.   

no kidding, Oswarma just opened months ago, I would have preferred something that was already in the Waverly area

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

no kidding, Oswarma just opened months ago, I would have preferred something that was already in the Waverly area

Oswarma is Middle Eastern so different food,  but along McLeod/Henderson/Gateway we have about a dozen or so East Indian restaurants.   

I'll settle for a Jimmy the Greek or Pizza Express :) 

On 2024-01-03 at 8:45 AM, iHeart said:

that's all they're bringing back? come on bring back the chicken stew in the bread bowl, bring back cakes (yeah apparently they used to do cakes once upon a time)

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/tim-hortons-reveals-which-three-doughnuts-will-join-dutchie-in-returning-to-menu-1.6707731

They're bringing back the bite sized omelettes....good something healthy if you order the egg white and spinach

Posted (edited)
On 2024-01-07 at 3:44 PM, iHeart said:

so apparently the R&R at Kildonan Crossing is going to become an East Indian joint

apparently the place that's going in is already a well established business called Copper Chimney

oh and there's been a sighting of Cadbury's Easter products at the Shell on Jefferson

Edited by iHeart

6 hours ago, iHeart said:

apparently the place that's going in is already a well established business called Copper Chimney

oh and there's been a sighting of Cadbury's Easter products at the Shell on Jefferson

Copper Chimney is solid so that is a bonus!  

8 hours ago, iHeart said:

Cadbury Mini Eggs have been in all of the stores since just after Halloween.

11 hours ago, Sard said:

Cadbury Mini Eggs have been in all of the stores since just after Halloween.

But the mini eggs have been a year round product for quite some time it's the creme eggs that disappear after Easter......well there's something I want to do with the micro minis anyway

12 hours ago, MrFreakzilla said:

I was looking there tonight, the nail salon is gone. 

Oh maybe they will expand the new Sorrento a then because my mother has been trying to figure out how will they make this work?

so I went to Underdogs today because I wanted to try at least one of the sandwiches for Le Fried Chicken week, the VezinaCluck was essentially so-so despite being between two biscuits (it was also a little spicy for my liking), but the rest of the place I definitely want to come back for, I wasn't prepared for the fact that they had an arcade area (and I mean an arcade no VLT's oh yeah core memory unlocked here)

I haven't seen a hockey game of that model since the Holiday Inn in Grand Forks existed

420195840_10161412387982442_728351691611420233937_10161412387837442_197671196617

419930370_10161412403117442_371483869665

Edited by iHeart

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

That poor game at the Canadinns is in about as good shape as the rest of the Canadinns facilities. Disrepair. 

wait are you saying they have these at the canadinns? I've been to some and I don't think I've ever seen it

oh yeah and to be more relevant to the old Hoilday Inn they even had a simpsons arcade game there

Edited by iHeart

2 minutes ago, iHeart said:

wait are you saying they have these at the canadinns? I've been to some and I don't think I've ever seen it

In GF. 

It's US v Can, I believe down there, if I remember correctly. 

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

In GF. 

oh....wait THAT PLACE HAS AN ARCADE?! IS THAT WHERE ALL THE GAMES FROM THE HOLIDAY INN WENT?! (trust me I know they didn't go to the C'Mon Inn)

Edited by iHeart

38 minutes ago, iHeart said:

oh....wait THAT PLACE HAS AN ARCADE?! IS THAT WHERE ALL THE GAMES FROM THE HOLIDAY INN WENT?! (trust me I know they didn't go to the C'Mon Inn)

The Canadinns Grand Forks has had an arcade for as long as I've known it. 

Just now, JCon said:

The Canadinns Grand Forks has had an arcade for as long as I've known it. 

well I know it has something old but a good chunk of the stuff is something new

I'd be better off playing at Underdogs because I was never one to play for prizes because like I said in the edited comment, UD has the Simpsons arcade game as well, it's almost enough to feed my nostalgic needs

8 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Not really a "Winnipeg" story but i imagine these guys will be coming here eventually. Good news. Subway needs some competition.

U.S. sandwich brands Jimmy John's, Jersey Mike's to expand in Canada (citynews.ca)

I thought Earl of Sandwich was the competition granted there's only one location in Winnipeg, I think there's only one Mr.Sub left